Wyoming proposal to slash Non-resident hunters

fmyth

WKR
I wonder how many NR hunters will still hunt but find other ways to stay within their budget? If they have to spend $400 more for an elk tag will they try to save that $400 by cutting out a night or two stay a local hotel, a couple meals at a local restaurant, or pass on that $373 otc bear tag that they normal purchase? Maybe an economic impact study should be done before making the proposed changes. It would be a shame to raise prices on the tags only to have it negatively impact local businesses. This might be great for G&F but have a negative financial impact on the residents.

Laramie

WKR
Doesn't have to pass anything...just have to get the commission on board.

It's being discussed more and more and more...I say way better chance than 90-10 passing the legislature.

It will be even easier after the Legislature denies 90-10, which they will.

Residents are not going to take no increase in opportunity, going to be one or the other. The task force members are already hearing that leftover resident deer and pronghorn tags should not be offered to NR's in the leftover draw. This has lots of support from Residents and many resident hunting organizations as well.
And what happens when the residents don't buy all the leftover tags? First come, first serve? I know some tags are really unpopular with residents and would be unpopular for most non-residents if they knew all the facts.

I'm genuinely curious because I thought the reason the left over draw was created was to try to find a way to sell tags that wouldn't otherwise sell. It wasn't that long ago that there were tags that were never even purchased.

JFK

WKR
We're going to make sure that no under-subscribed Resident antelope and deer tags roll to the initial NR draw. That doesn't take legislative approval we'll do that through the commission.

Time for residents to get their full 80% allotment of pronghorn and deer tags.

There will NOT be a significant economic impact.

Its been stated over and over again and nobody comprehends it.

NR's will STILL get 7,250 full priced elk tags in the initial draw...NO LOSS IN TAGS, NO LOSS IN ECONOMIC REVENUE.

NR's will still get every single one of their region wide deer tags, NO LOSS IN TAGS, NO LOSS IN ECONOMIC REVENUE.

NR's will still get over 50% of the pronghorn tags, NO LOSS IN TAGS, NO LOSS IN REVENUE.

Facts are simply being trumped by emotion...as per ALWAYS.

Shouting the loudest that there won’t be economic impact doesn’t make it true. You, nor I, are actually qualified to assess such things. There are already a good many people in your state whose livelihoods depend on NR hunters raising the question of economic impact so I’ll leave that topic to be decided by history.

The math being used is faulty because it’s not taking into consideration that many people value good hunts in areas with public access. Saying that there are still plenty of NR tags, and all the guys who previously drew higher quality units with public land will just hop on over to unit 23 with a type 2 tag isn’t going to play out that way.

Last edited:

Laramie

WKR
Shouting the loudest that there won’t be economic impact doesn’t make it true. You, nor I, aren’t actually qualified to assess such things. There are already a good many people in your state whose livelihoods depend on NR hunters raising the question of economic impact so I’ll leave that topic to be decided by history.

The math being used is faulty because it’s not taking into consideration that many people value good hunts in areas with public access. Saying that there are still plenty of NR tags, and all the guys who previously drew higher quality units with public land will just hop on over to unit 23 with a type 2 tag isn’t going to play out that way.
75% of the applicants could walk away (realistically I bet only 10-20% would) and they would still sell all the tags. The economic impact, in my opinion, isn't the battleground for this issue. They know they can sell the tags to someone else because they have the documented interest in the form of applications and preference point holders.

To me the real stance to fight would be the all the preference point money that was wasted by thousands of people who signed up for one set of rules only to have that changed to the point their investment can't ever pay off. That would be the real injustice if 90/10 passes. Beyond that, it's just whining.

I am a non-resident by the way and feel a 90/10 split is completely fair. I wouldn't like it, but I would deal with it.

Would this also mean the ranchers do not own all of the cattle being raised on Federal land?
Difference is that ranchers pay for the livestock that is ran on federal land. State owned animals are getting ran on federal land for free. I am fine with states actually paying to run their animals on federal lands. Since we are constantly informed that residents of the states own the animals even though those residents don't actually pay for the land they are ran on.

Jethro

WKR
We're going to make sure that no under-subscribed Resident antelope and deer tags roll to the initial NR draw. That doesn't take legislative approval we'll do that through the commission.

Time for residents to get their full 80% allotment of pronghorn and deer tags.

There will NOT be a significant economic impact.

Its been stated over and over again and nobody comprehends it.

NR's will STILL get 7,250 full priced elk tags in the initial draw...NO LOSS IN TAGS, NO LOSS IN ECONOMIC REVENUE.

NR's will still get every single one of their region wide deer tags, NO LOSS IN TAGS, NO LOSS IN ECONOMIC REVENUE.

NR's will still get over 50% of the pronghorn tags, NO LOSS IN TAGS, NO LOSS IN REVENUE.

Facts are simply being trumped by emotion...as per ALWAYS.
Buzz, I understand the deer and elk, but how does that work with antelope? If res undersubscribed don’t roll over to NR draw, how do NR end up with 50% of tags?

Carlin59

WKR
I understand that for elk the total tag number will remain the same (with a large shift to general), but does Deer have a similar legislated NR minimum allocation that will similarly shift “lost” NR LE tags to the General deer pool? Also, can someone explain the impact on antelope? My understanding is that for all of the “desirable” units it would cut NR opportunities, but the few undersubscribed NE units would still be attainable regularly due to Residents consistently not drawing their allocation for these units, thus rolling over their allocation to the NR pool. Am I understanding that correctly, or is there a different explanation on NR antelope?

tdhanses

WKR
Watch some past commission meetings specific to over-passes. I don't have the exact figures, but the commission spent IIRC, threw in the first million for the dry-piney project. One of the past commissioners has also donated equipment and time out of his own pocket to help on the projects. The conservation license plate bill, all that funding goes to migration related issues (fencing, over-passes, etc.)...all from residents.

Just glancing around at banquets for RMEF, MFF, MDF...I don't recall seeing a whole lot of out of state plates attending those functions in Wyoming. Probably are some, but not many.
From what I see projects have to be fully funded by the state before the fed will reimburse 75% of the project, pretty sure overpasses for wildlife would fall into this funding.

Yup because they don’t attend the functions in other states, where do the funding for these orgs mainly go, FL?

It’ll be interesting to see how many NR get deer and antelope tags if this passes. Personally I’ll pass, guess we’ll see in time if this has any negative effect or not.

CorbLand

WKR
Am I the only one that thinks its funny that in threads like this there are always a few that think we should hand some or all of wildlife management to the Federal Government and/or private landowners?

Do people not realize why we told a specific country to pound sand, shot their asses back across an ocean and started our own country? Or was it just for religious freedom like we are taught?

BuzzH

WKR
Buzz, I understand the deer and elk, but how does that work with antelope? If res undersubscribed don’t roll over to NR draw, how do NR end up with 50% of tags?
That's how it's done now, but Residents are asking for that change so that Residents have another shot at the Resident only allocation before they go out first come first serve.

Even now, many Residents are leaving too much opportunity at tags on the table...wont happen again in my household. My wife and I will be getting our maximum number of elk, deer, and pronghorn tags each and every year from now on...30 total tags between the initial and leftover draw.

wyodan

WKR
Am I the only one that thinks its funny that in threads like this there are always a few that think we should hand some or all of wildlife management to the Federal Government and/or private landowners?

Do people not realize why we told a specific country to pound sand, shot their asses back across an ocean and started our own country? Or was it just for religious freedom like we are taught?
I think it's funny too. I have never seen anything that the Feds stepped into that went better than it did before.

BuzzH

WKR
And what happens when the residents don't buy all the leftover tags? First come, first serve? I know some tags are really unpopular with residents and would be unpopular for most non-residents if they knew all the facts.

I'm genuinely curious because I thought the reason the left over draw was created was to try to find a way to sell tags that wouldn't otherwise sell. It wasn't that long ago that there were tags that were never even purchased.
After the resident only leftover draw, it could be either another open draw or most likely an open OTC deal.

That's how it's done now, but Residents are asking for that change so that Residents have another shot at the Resident only allocation before they go out first come first serve.

Even now, many Residents are leaving too much opportunity at tags on the table...wont happen again in my household. My wife and I will be getting our maximum number of elk, deer, and pronghorn tags each and every year from now on...30 total tags between the initial and leftover draw.
Does anyone really need 15 tags? It sounds fun to hunt that much for those who have the time, but really?

BuzzH

WKR
Does anyone really need 15 tags? It sounds fun to hunt that much for those who have the time, but really?
Absolutely, it helps solidify our advocacy for public lands and ensuring we don't start opposing hunting.

Since other states are so restrictive with holding us to 10% or less of their tags, we have to maximize our opportunity here.

Not going to be a change for me except the addition of 4 doe pronghorn and 4 doe deer tags. Will be for my wife though, she hasnt ever held a doe deer or pronghorn tag in the past, or a cow permit or her second buck deer and buck pronghorn tags. She'll have them all now, every year.

WKR
Absolutely, it helps solidify our advocacy for public lands and ensuring we don't start opposing hunting.

Since other states are so restrictive with holding us to 10% or less of their tags, we have to maximize our opportunity here.

Not going to be a change for me except the addition of 4 doe pronghorn and 4 doe deer tags. Will be for my wife though, she hasnt ever held a doe deer or pronghorn tag in the past, or a cow permit or her second buck deer and buck pronghorn tags. She'll have them all now, every year.
Yeah, sure, like anybody can find that much ammo...

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider

If the states limit non resident tags to where they basically eliminate most non resident hunting in the prime areas then what is being accomplished by allowing the western states to manage the majority of the land which is owned by the Federal government?
Much of the very best hunting land in the western US is owned by the private sector and is managed way better than what the states do. Just spend some time in Colorado.

MrSunday

Lil-Rokslider
Here is the email response I received from Wendy Shuler on the issue.

"Hello,
Thanks for your email. We are still taking testimony on this bill. I can certainly see both sides of the issue. I lean towards making sure that Wyoming residents, some of whom have put in for many years for a special license, have the opportunity to do so. I also understand that our non-resident hunters bring a fair amount of revenue into our state. I will continue to listen to both sides of the coin before I make a final decision. Thanks for your input.

Wendy Davis Schuler

Wyoming State Legislature
Senate District 15—Evanston

200 Liberty Avenue
307-679-6774"