Wyoming proposal to slash Non-resident hunters

Squincher

WKR
I'd like to see the feds sell off all the public land in WY and 100% of all tags go to outfitters. Let those who "want it most" get the tags. Of course, some WY residents might have to sacrifice by moving to a higher wage area in order to afford tags, but as they have said in this thread, it is just a matter of priorities. If they want to hunt, they'll find a way.

CorbLand

WKR
I'd like to see the feds sell off all the public land in WY and 100% of all tags go to outfitters. Let those who "want it most" get the tags. Of course, some WY residents might have to sacrifice by moving to a higher wage area in order to afford tags, but as they have said in this thread, it is just a matter of priorities. If they want to hunt, they'll find a way.
Not sure if this is supposed to be sarcasm or not, but you literally made the argument for why it should be managed the way it is.

In order for all the tags to go to outfitters the people of Wyoming would have to allow for that to happen. So, if they allowed that to happen, then yes they would have to do what they need/want to get tags.

If you were to allow everyone in the US to dictate these things then all of Florida could combine together and do this to Wyoming and the people of that state would have no say.

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
I am pretty much a small government fanboy.
But I for along time have felt the states have too much control of the hunting on federal land in all western states.

CorbLand

WKR
But I for along time have felt the states have too much control of the hunting on federal land in all western states.
Maybe you should do some research on why it is done the way it is.

The Federal government can’t even manage the powers they are explicitly given in the Constitution and it’s amendments and it ******* tells them how to manage those powers. Do you honestly think that them managing wildlife would be better?

Trial153

WKR

Interesting take. I somewhat agree. I'm not sure that it even needs to be taken so far it could be as simple as setting resident and nonresident tag percentage, and setting A ratio for resident to nr fees.

For example 75/25 resident to non resident tag split and non resident license fees can be up to but not exceed 10 times the resident license fee. Pretty simple.

As much as I enjoy stirring the pot on these types of topics, mainly trying to get BuzzH stirred up so he can display how much of a arrogant a$$hole he is and he hardly ever disappoints. I don’t think the 90/10 split is the end of the world as long as we keep getting to roll over tags. I could do without the price increase though, but it is the trend across the board. Maybe it is death by a thousand cuts, time will tell.
I plan on staying the course on my hunt plans and just evaluate after I burn points if it is worth while getting back in. The sad thing is it’s never going to get cheaper and tags are never going to get easier to get.

satchamo

WKR
It's ok for you to lobby for your best interests but not ok for non residents to lobby for thiers?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Spot on...

The anti NR on these threads would be complaining just as loud if a state they paid out the wazoo to go hunt suddenly said nah, you can only have a smaller piece of the pie but by the way, that smaller piece costs way more now.

I don’t understand how residents are affected by Non residents.... I hunted WY last fall and all I saw was residents. We’re already a small %.

But oh wait - I’m just being entitled I guess

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting take. I somewhat agree. I'm not sure that it even needs to be taken so far it could be as simple as setting resident and nonresident tag percentage, and setting A ratio for resident to nr fees.

For example 75/25 resident to non resident tag split and non resident license fees can be up to but not exceed 10 times the resident license fee. Pretty simple.
Yes. It doesn’t need to be complicated.

Billinsd

WKR
Not sure if this is supposed to be sarcasm or not, but you literally made the argument for why it should be managed the way it is.

In order for all the tags to go to outfitters the people of Wyoming would have to allow for that to happen. So, if they allowed that to happen, then yes they would have to do what they need/want to get tags.

If you were to allow everyone in the US to dictate these things then all of Florida could combine together and do this to Wyoming and the people of that state would have no say.
You believe in States rights too! OMG

LostArra

WKR
Not much...6% less LQ tags in elk and deer units, 15% less sheep tags, and 10% less moose, goat, and bison.

Example for elk
Hypothetical hunt area has quota of 100 Type 1 tags:
Currently the residents get 84 in random draw, non- residents get 16 divided among random, preference point and Special draws.

Proposed: residents get 90, non- residents get 10. No Special Draw.

Buzz's " Not much" is actually a 37% reduction in the number of non resident tags for that hunt code. 16 to 10.

I'm open to math corrections.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR

Pretty good idea, actually.

It would be more tolerable if F&G depts would just tell us that they're raising prices and couldn't care less what NR think because we're going to buy them anyway. At least be honest and stop the "justifications."

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
Perhaps you are confused? What is your opinion on States owning federal land within their borders? If you believe in small government, do you believe in robust local and state control at the expense of smaller federal government?

lak2004

WKR
The Western States don't manage or own much public land, the feds do. Right private land owners manage their land much better than the government ever could.
With the help of fine government programs...oh the irony.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Fireman03

Lil-Rokslider
So Sy Gilliland, of WOGA, sends us an email today of how this proposal will “hurt our(NR) future chance of hunting WY”, and to get in touch of those legislators. He says nothing related to the state holding our NR elk tag fee for 4+ months. Easy to see he’s just worried about his pocketbook, and not that of the NR applicant

Try to carry a conversation with the guy, that will seal the deal on your opinion of him👍🏼