Wyoming proposal to slash Non-resident hunters

Everyone has their own opinion. My opinion right now is that if it is a draw for people that live in the State, there should be very little if any opportunity for those that don't reside in the state. Just the way that I feel.
I think the issue with that lies in the funding.
If NR provide some 40% of the game management funding, shouldn’t they then get a commensurate share of the game?

I’m all for a state putting Residents first. It’s just to what level of first is correct.

Several states have come to a 90/10 split.

tdhanses

WKR
That’s what I was going to get at.

[mention]BuzzH [/mention] has so little respect for NR’s that he would just as soon lie to them.
He’s nothing but a politician, pretty easy to tell based on his arguments and math.

tdhanses

WKR
So, after 24 pages...am I screwed as NR that is booked with an outfitter for next year ? Historically the points I need to draw with them (according to the outfitter) I will have next year. I get the tag reduction sucks, nr sucks, I just want to hunt deer and antelope next year, is there a good way to gauge how outfitters might be affected by this? As far as I know I would be drawing from the NR pool
Hard to say, never know how many point holders will burn them and be done, could see big pt creep next year.

Fatcamp

WKR
Right, wanted to make sure. So the limited hunts would be reduced from 20 to 10% for non resident? Limited hunts reduced to 10% and prices raised is the debate?Do you mean non residents will get more opportunity for general tags in lieu of reduced opportunity for limited tags? How's that?

Wyoming full price tags are set by statute. This bill would replace high value limited quota tags with general tags. Not the same thing. At all. That's why residents are so adamant that they want more of them.

It is a lost opportunity to hunt low pressure units. Buzz knows this but is set on convincing others that a tag is a tag. No different than when he convinced a bunch of people that delaying the elk draw was about herd health when it was about residents getting limited quota tags all along.

Oh well.

Rob5589

WKR
Hard to say, never know how many point holders will burn them and be done, could see big pt creep next year.
How does a bunch of point holders burning their points equate to a large point creep? Truly just trying to understand and decide whether or not to continue to buy antelope points.

Thanks

CorbLand

WKR
LOL,
May I ask what state you reside in ?
Utah.

I live 10 minutes from the Idaho border and less than 60 from the Wyoming border. Both states changed/attempted to change NR prices and allocations this year. I can only afford to build points in one state and I chose Wyoming. This affects me. Idaho changing their pricing affected me. It is still the right of the state to manage wildlife for the residents of their state. Doesn’t matter whose ground they are on. This does not change based on the state I live in.

If you truly think that letting the Federal Government have any say in wildlife management would make it better, look no further than what a shit show wolves were and still are in some states. I am not saying that from a stance of whether they should or shouldn’t be on the landscape. I mean it from a pure ability to manage them.

Last edited:
How does a bunch of point holders burning their points equate to a large point creep? Truly just trying to understand and decide whether or not to continue to buy antelope points.

Thanks
Many point holders don’t apply, they just collect points. When them folks then enter the draw it can cause point creep.

tdhanses

WKR

Thanks
There are only 7250 tags available, if 5000 with 7pts or more put in that leaves 2250 for people with 6pts or less. Say the next 3000 have 6pts, that means the general tag will take 6pts to draw vs 2-3pts it currently takes.

Also are you willing to spend $600 for an antelope, also my example was more for elk, I’m not really sure what the antelope draw will look like.

The antelope one hurts. $1100 for an elk is steep, but $600 for a speed goat seems silly.
I can’t imagine paying that for one of the mid to lower quality antelope units.
At that price I’ll use my points and be done. Paying some $30 a year for a point and then after 5 or 6 years dropping $600 for an antelope tag. You’d have some $25 a pound just in tag fees.

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Utah.

I live 10 minutes from the Idaho border and less than 60 from the Wyoming border. Both states changed/attempted to change NR prices and allocations this year. I can only afford to build points in one state and I chose Wyoming. This affects me. Idaho changing their pricing affected me.
Nice area , I have elk and mule deer hunted on both the WY and Utah sides there.
Not wanting to try and change your mind. All I see and know is quality public land hunting is becoming more difficult . I feel pretty fortunate to have hunted some very special draw areas in WY, and they were all as a NR on Federal land. Seems like those opportunities are diminishing for the NR hunters.
I did send letters to all of the WY committee members asking for consideration regarding NR tag quotas.

BuzzH

WKR
Wyoming full price tags are set by statute. This bill would replace high value limited quota tags with general tags. Not the same thing. At all. That's why residents are so adamant that they want more of them.

It is a lost opportunity to hunt low pressure units. Buzz knows this but is set on convincing others that a tag is a tag. No different than when he convinced a bunch of people that delaying the elk draw was about herd health when it was about residents getting limited quota tags all along.

Oh well.
Wrong 7250 is not set in statute...not the only thing you're wrong about in the rest of your post either.

Bobbyboe

WKR
What does this remind you of? This is the same tactic anti’s use to purposely keep tags from getting into the hands of hunters, who actually plan on filling them. Make no mistake, buzz is not your friend.

Attachments

• 40BA60EF-0787-492E-AD93-DC9BB43C07F2.jpeg
    40BA60EF-0787-492E-AD93-DC9BB43C07F2.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 95
  • E8B834C2-CA50-446A-AF36-E0017A4FF123.jpeg
    E8B834C2-CA50-446A-AF36-E0017A4FF123.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 92

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
I balance it out yearly by purchasing hunting licenses I never use in CO, NV, UT, ID, MT, AZ etc. where I'm not on the "dole line".
This guy talks out his you know what I cant believe I cant smell him over here. Buying tags to not use them in other states? The way he talks I cant believe he didnt take all that money he's spending in other states and use it to bribe this bill thro. Dont let your sissy sack twist to much