Wyoming proposal to slash Non-resident hunters

cgasner1

WKR
The unit that I’m chasing as the draw percentage sits right now this would take almost 30% of the tags from the non residents of this gets past I hope they at least drop this top tier thing and all tags go to a random draw or I may as well just walk away I’ll never catch the point creep as is I’ve been debating on walking away and I have 8 points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuzzH

WKR
What does this remind you of? This is the same tactic anti’s use to purposely keep tags from getting into the hands of hunters, who actually plan on filling them. Make no mistake, buzz is not your friend.
One of the best things about hunting is each hunter getting to choose if or when they take an animal. These forums are something else....one day a youtube hunter is criticized for killing a raghorn bull...turn around and if a hunter doesn't fill all their tags they shouldn't buy them. Which is it?

Hunting is personal....you buy a tag, your choice to do with it what you choose. Your money, your tag, your business.

I've not filled every tag I've purchased every year I've hunted for the last 41 years I've bought them for all kinds of reasons. I find no reason to explain that to anyone...

One of the best things about hunting is each hunter getting to choose if or when they take an animal. These forums are something else....one day a youtube hunter is criticized for killing a raghorn bull...turn around and if a hunter doesn't fill all their tags they shouldn't buy them. Which is it?

Hunting is personal....you buy a tag, your choice to do with it what you choose. Your money, your tag, your business.

I've not filled every tag I've purchased every year I've hunted for the last 41 years I've bought them for all kinds of reasons. I find no reason to explain that to anyone...
You don't need to explain why you would buy 30 tags. You've made yourself clear that you're trying to keep them out of the hands of nonresidents. Some of us buy the tags (1 tag) to fill our freezers. But purchasing 30 tags so that you pass on many does, because they're not "trophy does", makes a lot of sense to you? Isn't the point of the tag allotment to manage wildlife? If so, doesn't that make you a hypocrite for not filling tags? Doesn't that negatively impact wildlife conservation?

cnelk

WKR
Its been stated that there is a $8 million net increase to the bottom line with this proposal.

In my experience working with govt agencies for a couple decades, I dont see how that amount will be sustainable for very long.

Govt agencies ALWAYS budget to waste as much money as they can.

Gobbler36

WKR
I always get a kick out of responses like this from residents.

I don't understand the disdain some residents have toward NR hunters. Aren't we all out there for the same reason?

Maybe I'm looking through rose colored glasses but I would think residents would encourage NR to come hunt their states. As seen from the numbers in previous posts who do you think pays for the vast majority of your game departments funds? Without NR $$ your game departments would struggle and with that would be worse herd management and everything else that goes along with it. Without those NR dollars just think how much money your resident license and tag fees would be....then who do you think would be bitching to their legislatures?
Haha how many NR hunters does OR have again?
how friendly is your state to NR? what I thought. I’d pay $400 or more for my Resident elk tag if I had potential access to 10% more of every tag in my state and better odds at success

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t understand people losing their minds over this when most of the other western states already have the same or even more restrictive NR tag policies than are being proposed here. Like this is the first time this has happened. Just the day and age we’re in or what?

Laramie

WKR
Not much...6% less LQ tags in elk and deer units, 15% less sheep tags, and 10% less moose, goat, and bison.
10% less moose? You know this isn't accurate. In a 90/10 split non-resident moose tags will get cut by almost 70%.

For those not following, any area that has less than 10 total tags would not offer non-residents a tag at all. If the total quota for the area was 9, all would go to residents.

Here is the comparison using 2020 quotas
Proposed 90/10 split vs current allotment
Area 1 - 1 vs 2
Area 2 - 0 vs 1
Area 3 - 1 vs 4
Area 5 - 2 vs 5
Area 6 - 0 vs 1
Area 9 - 0 vs 1
Area 10 - 0 vs 2
Area 11 - 0 vs 1
Area 16 - 0 vs 1
Area 17 - 0 vs 1
Area 18 - 0 vs 1
Area 20 - 1 vs 3
Area 21 - 0 vs 0
Area 22 - 0 vs 1
Area 23 - 1 vs 3
Area 24 - 2 vs 4
Area 25 - 4 vs 11
Area 26 - 3 vs 7
Area 27 - 1 vs 3
Area 33 - 0 vs 1
Area 34 - 1 vs 2
Area 35 - 0 vs 1
Area 36 - 0 vs 1
Area 38 - 4 vs 8
Area 42 - 1 vs 2

Total 22 moose permits if 90/10 passes where currently non-residents receive 67 permits.

There are currently over 10,000 non-residents with moose preference points. Under the 90/10 split it would take over 400 years to draw that many tags.

Gobbler36

WKR
I think the issue with that lies in the funding.
If NR provide some 40% of the game management funding, shouldn’t they then get a commensurate share of the game?

I’m all for a state putting Residents first. It’s just to what level of first is correct.

Several states have come to a 90/10 split.
Its really really simple
NR don’t live in that state, the state owns the game, they could say no NR hunting period or really do whatever they want because they are supposed to hold and maintain the wildlife for the residents of said state. so they get to choose whether they want to charge 4-5 times for the tag and allow however many NR Hunters in as a PRIVILEGE. they don’t owe you anything and if you don’t like it don’t come and hunt. it really is that simple, not saying it doesn’t suck I have points in WY. but life isn’t always fair

Laramie

WKR
I don’t understand people losing their minds over this when most of the other western states already have the same or even more restrictive NR tag policies than are being proposed here. Like this is the first time this has happened. Just the day and age we’re in or what?
Because I have invested for many years into the preference point system for the opportunity at a moose permit. If 90/10 passes, that investment and opportunity would be completely taken away. I would literally have zero chance at a tag in my lifetime. I'll pay more for the permit to help the WG&F but I refuse to sit and allow my investment to be stolen without a fight.

Mosby

WKR
States want NR's to apply, they just don't want to give them tags. States want easy revenue. Like the old Carnival barkers, they let people win enough that others notice and put their money down but they really aren't very good odds for guaranteed expense. Like gambling, the house always wins. Outfitters want NR hunters but on terms that benefits them and residents don't want NR at all because they don't realize what it would cost them if NR simply stopped buying licenses, applying for tags and supporting local business.

If NR would take a couple of years off and stop buying licenses and applying for tags, it would likely get someones attention. Hotels, grocery stores, restaurants, local gun shops etc.,would all be impacted. If that happened, resident costs would have to go up significantly to cover the revenue shortfall and likely services would be equally reduced. Likely won't ever happen because there are people who truly don't care about cost or the odds. Thats why Vegas is rich.

I hunt states I can get tags in. I don't give others my money. I have never applied to Wyoming for anything.
I stop in Laramie and Pinedale on my way to hunt other states. I love to elk hunt but I can hunt whitetail in multiple states a year without issue. Same with pheasants. I go out of state for spring turkey and bear as well. All a lot cheaper and relatively easy to get tags. I try very hard not to waste time complaining about any one states process or what my odds are. I just go somewhere else, have fun and order a pizza when I get home. When it comes to hunting I try very hard to keep it simple. YMMV.

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
Because I have invested for many years into the preference point system for the opportunity at a moose permit. If 90/10 passes, that investment and opportunity would be completely taken away. I would literally have zero chance at a tag in my lifetime. I'll pay more for the permit to help the WG&F but I refuse to sit and allow my investment to be stolen without a fight.
So are you just as angry at the other states that previously moved to a 90/10 model? Or just because you have invested specifically in WY?

Ten Bears

WKR
why are we pissed ? because it's total BS.

we were sold a system and bought in. now they want to change the system and eliminate us from ever drawing a tag we have paid into.

it's not like we don't pay our share as has been discussed and noted many times in this thread.

oh yeah there is the whole "wilderness thing" so comparing this 90/10 split as other states have is a pile of crap.

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
why are we pissed ? because it's total BS.

we were sold a system and bought in. now they want to change the system and eliminate us from ever drawing a tag we have paid into.

it's not like we don't pay our share as has been discussed and noted many times in this thread.

oh yeah there is the whole "wilderness thing" so comparing this 90/10 split as other states have is a pile of crap.
So did you flip out when AZ OR NM UT NV MT ID put similar policies in place? Seems like selective outrage in the age of outrage over everything.

Ten Bears

WKR
So are you just as angry at the other states that previously moved to a 90/10 model? Or just because you have invested specifically in
So did you flip out when AZ OR NM UT NV MT ID put similar policies in place? Seems like selective outrage in the age of outrage over everything.

do those other states have the same ridiculous wilderness law ? it’s not apples to apples here.

and to answer very bluntly YES it’s total BS that’s NRs pay a substantial share and get boned at 90/10 in every state.

and don’t try for one second to say that you wouldn’t feel the exact same way if the shoe was on the other foot.

Laramie

WKR
So are you just as angry at the other states that previously moved to a 90/10 model? Or just because you have invested specifically in WY?
I grew up in Wyoming and am only specifically regarding moose in Wyoming. I had to move for my career but intend to go back in retirement in 15-20 years. I have zero issue with a 90/10 split in any state and I'm frankly thankful for the opportunity. My issue is that if this change happens, my investment will have literally been stolen. It is a crime and I intend to pursue legal actions- however fruitless they may be. I'm guessing a few others will stand on my side of the fence to help.

I would have no issue if part of this proposal fairly addressed the thousands of people who will lose their investment.

When should a boiled frog be upset? When he's put into the pot? When his brains are thoroughly cooked? Or somewhere in-between?