Wyoming proposal to slash Non-resident hunters

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
NEWS ALERT..

So the bill failed and didn't make it out of committee. They sent it back to the task force to hammer it out over the next 12-18 months, though. But watching it was an eye opener. For those grousing over investing so much in points over so many years for sheep, moose.. Ole' Sy Gilliland sat there and said the preference point system was the problem that residents just jumping in the game would never get a tag and that it needed fixed. So, I wonder in the next 12 months what will come of the preference point system for both residents and non? It may not even be around..

Preference/Bonus point systems are an issue in every state they exist. Wyoming likely has the best of the bad points systems though.

Problem is there doesn't seem to be a good way of doling out very limited and very desirable tags. Even when you make them OIL tags, ect... demand far exceeds supply.

Carlin59

WKR
Although this failed to get out of committee this time, it was pretty clear that some form of this will pass in the coming years. Knowing that, I wonder if they would consider putting those converted NR LE tags into a separate youth pool? Kids and families in hunting were brought up by all the Senators and the majority of public commentators. I’d prefer to see any tag shift go to youth, particularly if that new youth draw would keep the same 90/10 format. That would keep NR skin and interest in the game knowing their kids would still have opportunities at a “good” hunt early in their career. And it would really help WY youth/families have more opportunities. To be clear, I’m invested in and support the current system in place, but if it has to change, let’s change it for the betterment of the next generation of hunters, which almost all the testimony mentioned in one fashion or the other.

I dunno...when did the frog say it was upset after AZ NM MT ID UT NV NM did similar things? The panic and outrage over this is cartoonish.

Are you trolling? There are a hundred holes anyone can poke in that argument, including yourself.

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
So did you flip out when AZ OR NM UT NV MT ID put similar policies in place? Seems like selective outrage in the age of outrage over everything.
I don’t flip out. For the past 25 years, as far as I can remember, only New Mexico changed the non resident allotment. I did drop NM completely from my yearly list. The meeting today was very interesting. Looks like the committee wants the newly formed task force to study it and make recommendations. Good idea IMO.

Billinsd

WKR
I was hoping to draw in the next 5 years, but this would realistically move that goal out by decades.
Similar thing happened to me in AZ. Put me out at least 10 years. Moving goal posts and the actual game is extremely unfair, however we don't actually sign any contacts.

Rob5589

WKR
Similar thing happened to me in AZ. Put me out at least 10 years. Moving goal posts and the actual game is extremely unfair, however we don't actually sign any contacts.
As western hunting explodes in popularity and those states come to rely on bonus and preference point money, seems a bit more risky to get into the game knowing it can change at any moment.

jmez

WKR
Although this failed to get out of committee this time, it was pretty clear that some form of this will pass in the coming years. Knowing that, I wonder if they would consider putting those converted NR LE tags into a separate youth pool? Kids and families in hunting were brought up by all the Senators and the majority of public commentators. I’d prefer to see any tag shift go to youth, particularly if that new youth draw would keep the same 90/10 format. That would keep NR skin and interest in the game knowing their kids would still have opportunities at a “good” hunt early in their career. And it would really help WY youth/families have more opportunities. To be clear, I’m invested in and support the current system in place, but if it has to change, let’s change it for the betterment of the next generation of hunters, which almost all the testimony mentioned in one fashion or the other.
I actually think this is a great idea. It would also show you real fast the true motivation behind the proposed changes.

tdhanses

WKR
For 600, I'd do it once for a buck opportunity. I have wanted one for a looong time and I ain't getting any younger lol. But if that opportunity has now become out of reach with the new regs, I won't purchase any more points there and find another option.

Thanks
Might look at CO for this opportunity.

Carlin59

WKR
I actually think this is a great idea. It would also show you real fast the true motivation behind the proposed changes.
That was my thought as well. If the writing is on the wall for losing LE NR allocation, I’d much rather see it go to kids (R and NR). WY already does a great job with offering reduced-fee youth licenses for both R and NR. If reallocation has to happen, a separate youth pool as a result would let more families enjoy these experiences that everyone claims they want.

So. . . While everyone is hot and bothered by things, go track down the emails of the task force members and make your voices heard. Don't sit around and wait until they've made their recommendation to complain!

Start your push now and check back with them often!

So. . . While everyone is hot and bothered by things, go track down the emails of the task force members and make your voices heard. Don't sit around and wait until they've made their recommendation to complain!

Can someone please post them here?

Laramie

WKR

If you find the addresses, please post them. Thanks

Carlin59

WKR
Make you you email the senator today that said he didnt give a damn what nonresidents think.
I sent follow up emails to the five committee Senators. I did ask Senator Landen (who made that comment) to keep an open mind regarding NR input. I let him know I’m a Non-resident landowner in his district, and that my property provides access to some great public hunting. Last year I gave half a dozen of his local constituents free trespass permission through my property, including youth and a successful elk hunter. Ironically, the large local landowners who also control access to this public had turned all their fellow citizens down. Basically just asked Sen. Landen to not assume all NR are out “take” from his constituents.

Make you you email the senator today that said he didnt give a damn what nonresidents think.
LOL. Short sited statement politicians make thinking they'll earn points with one group or another. Or just an old FUDD that doesn't know any better.

He don't care what we think when talking about Tags, but I can guarantee he'd start caring real quick if we started talking about shutting down coal exports.

Trial153

WKR
LOL. Short sited statement politicians make thinking they'll earn points with one group or another. Or just an old FUDD that doesn't know any better.

He don't care what we think when talking about Tags, but I can guarantee he'd start caring real quick if we started talking about shutting down coal exports.

Totally agree unfortunately it seems that ignoranus like him are drawn to those positions like flys to shit.

wytx

WKR
Here are the task force members

• Tony Lehner - Converse County Commissioner, landowner
  • Duaine Hagen - Park County Landowner
  • Representative Jamie Flitner - Big Horn County
  • Representative Albert Sommers - Sublette County
  • Adam Teten - Johnson County sportsman
  • Joe Schaffer - Laramie County sportsman, President of Laramie County Community College
  • Rusty Bell - Campbell County Commissioner, Taxidermist, Sportsman
  • Sy Gilliland - President of Wyoming Outfitter and Guides Association
  • Elissa Ruckle - Owner of Elevate Wyoming
  • Senator Ogden Driskill - Crook County
  • Senator Larry Hicks - Carbon County
  • Liisa Anselmi-Dalton - Sweetwater County hotel owner
  • Jen Scoggin - Director Office of State Lands and Investments
  • Lee Livingston - Park County Commissioner
  • Josh Coursey - Sweetwater County, Executive Director of the Muley Fanatics Foundation
  • Pat Crank - Laramie County sportsman, outgoing Wyoming Game and Fish Commissioner
  • Pete Dube - Johnson County, President of the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission
  • Brian Nesvik - Director of the Wyoming Game and Fish Department