Wyoming proposal to slash Non-resident hunters

Lukem

WKR
Watch some past commission meetings specific to over-passes. I don't have the exact figures, but the commission spent IIRC, threw in the first million for the dry-piney project. One of the past commissioners has also donated equipment and time out of his own pocket to help on the projects. The conservation license plate bill, all that funding goes to migration related issues (fencing, over-passes, etc.)...all from residents.

Just glancing around at banquets for RMEF, MFF, MDF...I don't recall seeing a whole lot of out of state plates attending those functions in Wyoming. Probably are some, but not many.
There might be some resident money, but a lot of it came from all of us on the Dry Piney Project http://www.dot.state.wy.us/news/wyd... project will,as pronghorn and moose movement.

Anything the WGFD contributes is largely NR money. A large part of any NGO money is NR, a lot of their state contributions originate from auction permits, in addition there are probably as many RMEF chapters in states without elk as there are with elk. Where does that money go? It's not all local.

blackdawg

WKR
So. . . While everyone is hot and bothered by things, go track down the emails of the task force members and make your voices heard. Don't sit around and wait until they've made their recommendation to complain!

Start your push now and check back with them

Everyone should also listen to the March 1 Elk Talk podcast. If the Non-Resident hunter wants any input moving forward, the hosts have a couple of great suggestions for action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ten Bears

WKR
Here are the task force members

• Tony Lehner - Converse County Commissioner, landowner
  • Duaine Hagen - Park County Landowner
  • Representative Jamie Flitner - Big Horn County
  • Representative Albert Sommers - Sublette County
  • Adam Teten - Johnson County sportsman
  • Joe Schaffer - Laramie County sportsman, President of Laramie County Community College
  • Rusty Bell - Campbell County Commissioner, Taxidermist, Sportsman
  • Sy Gilliland - President of Wyoming Outfitter and Guides Association
  • Elissa Ruckle - Owner of Elevate Wyoming
  • Senator Ogden Driskill - Crook County
  • Senator Larry Hicks - Carbon County
  • Liisa Anselmi-Dalton - Sweetwater County hotel owner
  • Jen Scoggin - Director Office of State Lands and Investments
  • Lee Livingston - Park County Commissioner
  • Josh Coursey - Sweetwater County, Executive Director of the Muley Fanatics Foundation
  • Pat Crank - Laramie County sportsman, outgoing Wyoming Game and Fish Commissioner
  • Pete Dube - Johnson County, President of the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission
  • Brian Nesvik - Director of the Wyoming Game and Fish Department

Thanks for the list.

If anyone has a concise letter to add for those like myself who are not great at writing please feel free to post it up. I plan on ACTIVELY writing everyone on this list and the Senators.

Tony lehner(converse county commissioner and land owner) - [email protected]

Duaine Hagen - park county landowner -

Jamie Flitner (state rep. Bighorn county, rancher) - [email protected]

Albert Sommers (state rep. majority floor leader, rancher) - [email protected]
Cell #: (307) 360-7060

Adam Teten - Johnson County sportsman
Email:

Joe Schaffer - Laramie County
sportsman, President of Laramie County Community College
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 307-778- 1102

Rusty Bell - Campbell County Commissioner, Taxidermist, Sportsman
Phone: (307) 660-7412

Here are about half, I'll work on the other half, some will be hard to track down if they don't have public office though. Sent an email to game and fish to request all contact info. . . We will see when/how they respond

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
@Trial153 Why should Senator Landon care what non-residents think? He doesn't represent non-residents hunters. He represents Wyoming people that live in his district and did a piss poor job with his no vote today.

Sy Gilliland - President of Wyoming Outfitter and Guides Association

Elissa Ruckle - Owner of Elevate Wyoming
Email:
Business phone: (307) 277-4782 (all I could find quickly)

Senator Ogden Driskill - Crook County
Phone: 307-680-5555

Senator Larry Hicks - Carbon County
Phone: (307) 383-7192

Liisa Anselmi-Dalton - Sweetwater County hotel owner
Phone: 307-389-4496

Jen Scoggin - Director Office of State Lands and Investments

Lee Livingston - Park County Commissioner, outfitter
Phone: 307-899-3057

Josh Coursey - Sweetwater County, Executive Director of the Muley Fanatics Foundation

Pat Crank - Laramie County sportsman, outgoing Wyoming Game and Fish Commissioner

Pete Dube - Johnson County, President of the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission

Brian Nesvik - Director of the Wyoming Game and Fish Department

Full disclaimer, all of these were dug up while I waited for a client, they might not be the best contact info but it is a place to start. The people who hold public office should all have the correct info, the others it was the best I could find on short notice.

If game and fish emails me back a full contact list I will post it.

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
One of the best things about hunting is each hunter getting to choose if or when they take an animal. These forums are something else....one day a youtube hunter is criticized for killing a raghorn bull...turn around and if a hunter doesn't fill all their tags they shouldn't buy them. Which is it?

Hunting is personal....you buy a tag, your choice to do with it what you choose. Your money, your tag, your business.

I've not filled every tag I've purchased every year I've hunted for the last 41 years I've bought them for all kinds of reasons. I find no reason to explain that to anyone...
Well I'm pretty sure it's not about the tags you buy and use or dont use what it is is your personality/attitude towards the fellow hunter

Carlin59

WKR
@Trial153 Why should Senator Landon care what non-residents think? He doesn't represent non-residents hunters. He represents Wyoming people that live in his district and did a piss poor job with his no vote today.
My guess is he has to balance the positive impact of a few constituents getting “better” tags (since they can always get Gen Deer and Gen Elk, and a buck antelope tag every year if they apply for a second choice), vs the negative economic impact to a much larger group of his constituents. NR input certainly impacts the latter group. Based on his vote, I’m guessing that group spoke loudest this go around.

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
@Carlin59 Senator Landen's no vote was chicken chit. He saw a way out by giving it to the new wildlife task force to study. There was plenty of support by WY residents to have the bill debated on the senate floor. However, I can see his frustration when he has to go through 600 to 700 emails from out of state people that have no say in the way Wyoming handles our business. He could have spent time reading emails from WY outfitters & guides, WY hotel owners, and resident hunters. You know, the people he reps.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
It will probably be a while before he gets over this. Probably wont hear from again til he has some NR bad news to share with all of us.
I don’t think that is a fair assessment of Buzz at all. Shoving a pile of tags in everyone’s face was poor form but he has done a lot for non residents as well. I understand where he and the other residents are coming from on this issue. I don’t like the fact that I was sold a system and have executed my end of the bargain faithfully buying points every year and that contract is going to be breached by the other party with no consequences to them. But I’m used to it. I worked for a company that went bankrupt so it would not have to pay retirement benefits and lost all I put into that too. And they just reformed as a new company and the only people screwed were us workers. I’m just a pawn in a bunch of big money games. I pray I can draw my sheep tag before my chances go from poor to impossible.

Carlin59

WKR
@Carlin59 Senator Landen's no vote was chicken chit. He saw a way out by giving it to the new wildlife task force to study. There was plenty of support by WY residents to have the bill debated on the senate floor. However, I can see his frustration when he has to go through 600 to 700 emails from out of state people that have no say in the way Wyoming handles our business. He could have spent time reading emails from WY outfitters & guides, WY hotel owners, and resident hunters. You know, the people he reps.
He admitted he lacks knowledge in this area, and deferred to the committee of diverse stakeholders designed to provide analysis and expertise in this topic (among others). Bringing it to the floor would have been more of the same, with a lot of personal anecdotes and not much detailed data. I personally prefer my legislator to not blindly vote for something they don’t understand well (yes, I realize that is a fantasy and it happens daily, but I can still prefer that). If he slapped enough constituents in the face over this, he will be gone in two years. Or, maybe he did listen to the majority of his constituents, and that is what swayed his vote. Time will tell I guess.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Just because you don't see eye to eye, that makes him a *--* canoe? I've got a plethora of buddies that I can argue til we are both blue in the face with. The internet is a funny realm...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
He'll probably drive a load of wolves down from Wyoming to Colorado personally for you guys. He just loves em.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Because Non resident hunting is a several 100 million dollar industry in the state of Wyoming, and only a fool will not understand the ramifications that these decisions have on the total economy.

And quite frankly that has a whole lot more effect on people's lives in the state then Giving resident hunters a couple more tags.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I don’t understand people losing their minds over this when most of the other western states already have the same or even more restrictive NR tag policies than are being proposed here. Like this is the first time this has happened. Just the day and age we’re in or what?
Those other states also let NR hunters hunt on all the public land... wilderness areas included

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
It will probably be a while before he gets over this. Probably wont hear from again til he has some NR bad news to share with all of us.
Buzz is a good guy. With lots of self introspection I can say that sometimes getting emotionally invested in something that is contested brings the worst out in people and isnt a good indicator of who they are.

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
Because Non resident hunting is a several 100 million dollar industry in the state of Wyoming, and only a fool will not understand the ramifications that these decisions have on the total economy.

And quite frankly that has a whole lot more effect on people's lives in the state then Giving resident hunters a couple more tags.
Emailing a senator after he voted the way you wanted absolutely does not make sense. Hopefully you piss him off though, cause it seemed like he cared about NR.