Wyoming proposal to slash Non-resident hunters

BuzzH

WKR
If Wyoming wants to give the residents a better shot at the moose sheep and goat why not put them
All in a random draw instead of that top tier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Goat is random...we need 90% of the tags so more Residents get them.

There will be talk about Resident only for goat at the Task Force. With so few offered they all need to go to Residents. Probably makes the most sense with scarce opportunities.

cgasner1

WKR
Ok goat is my buddy that live there has put about 800k in paid taxes in your state and will be in the ground before he sees a moose or sheep tag because he wasn’t born there and doesn’t have 20 points already seems to me like that entire draw would be better for 95% of your residents if it was a random draw with preference points

BuzzH

WKR
Ok goat is my buddy that live there has put about 800k in paid taxes in your state and will be in the ground before he sees a moose or sheep tag because he wasn’t born there and doesn’t have 20 points already seems to me like that entire draw would be better for 95% of your residents if it was a random draw with preference points

Not following...how does a random draw with preference points work?

Do you mean a bonus point system?

How do you deal with the people that are only a point, or two, or three from drawing on the current preference point system?

The easiest way to increase the number of residents hunting sheep and moose in Wyoming is to give them more tags. When 90-10 passes, at current quota's, 30-35 more residents would be hunting sheep each year. In a 10 year period...350 more residents will have hunted sheep.

Switching preference to bonus points doesn't put more Resident sheep hunters on the hill...one way, and one way only for that to happen, issue them more tags.

cgasner1

WKR
The bonus points would at least give them a shot

cgasner1

WKR
So had this gone your way how many years till you go ow wow Oregon has 95-5 split we need that your willing to do it once why not do it again as far as we are concerned the state made a agreement to offer us so many tags if they are willing to do it once you’d be willing to do it again

KHNC

WKR
Some of you surprise me with your lack of awareness of Buzz. He’s been around on the Fire, Hunt talk, and here for years. He’s especially popular over on the Fire. They have entire threads just for that guy.

If anything he’s consistent in his delivery.
OH, I bet they do have entire threads for him! Hes so popular! Bet he was the cool kid in his school!

Laramie

WKR
Buzz- tagging you on for the last paragraph.

Some individuals in this thread have developed a perspective that isn't correct. Wyoming residents, in general, have no problems with non-residents. I grew up in Wyoming but have been a non-resident for 20 years so I have a unique perspective of the situation.

99% of Wyoming residents have no issue with people that come to their state that show respect for the land, respect for the animals, and are truly thankful for the opportunity to hunt. I think that is true of many other states.

Regarding 90/10- Buzz is correct. It will eventually happen. I have a pile of friends and family still in the state and can tell you it is something that the vast majority of residents want. I think we will see a different version than what was voted down yesterday pass in the next 2-5 years. Hopefully that new version addresses some of the issues I have pointed out that, frankly, were not right.

Buzz, some of us realize the position of influence that you have. I would ask that you propose different ways to fairly address the situation while accomplishing your goals of providing more LQ tags to residents. I can tell you that a lot of residents are hoping for the same- a more fair solution for all that doesn't completely kill all opportunity for people that have invested.

Buzz- tagging you on for the last paragraph.

Some individuals in this thread have developed a perspective that isn't correct. Wyoming residents, in general, have no problems with non-residents. I grew up in Wyoming but have been a non-resident for 20 years so I have a unique perspective of the situation.

99% of Wyoming residents have no issue with people that come to their state that show respect for the land, respect for the animals, and are truly thankful for the opportunity to hunt. I think that is true of many other states.

Regarding 90/10- Buzz is correct. It will eventually happen. I have a pile of friends and family still in the state and can tell you it is something that the vast majority of residents want. I think we will see a different version than what was voted down yesterday pass in the next 2-5 years. Hopefully that new version addresses some of the issues I have pointed out that, frankly, were not right.

Buzz, some of us realize the position of influence that you have. I would ask that you propose different ways to fairly address the situation while accomplishing your goals of providing more LQ tags to residents. I can tell you that a lot of residents are hoping for the same- a more fair solution for all that doesn't completely kill all opportunity for people that have invested.
After reading this thread it is pretty clear how individuals in this thread came to that incorrect perspective, mostly the condescending, anti-NR tone of a few outspoken residents. That being said it seems like it is predetermined that 90/10 will happen, just a matter of when. It begs the question, why stop at 90/10? Buzz said goat should go to 0 for NR anyways. Why not relook the general tags and the 7250 quota? Is 90/10 really going to appease the WY residents who are currently starved and dissatisfied with their premium big game opportunities? Maybe a resident family of two could get 30 or 40 big game tags in the future? That’s not greedy, that’s just what they are entitled to. Buzz has established that WY wildlife conservation is not in any way dependent on NR licenses and fees, resident support for wildlife NGOs and volunteer work covers everything. All these NRs overplay their funding hand anyways so no real economic barriers to go to 0 NR LQ tags.

The easiest way to increase the number of residents hunting sheep and moose in Wyoming is to give them more tags. When 90-10 passes, at current quota's, 30-35 more residents would be hunting sheep each year. In a 10 year period...350 more residents will have hunted sheep.

Switching preference to bonus points doesn't put more Resident sheep hunters on the hill...one way, and one way only for that to happen, issue them more tags.

So does the random portion of the current draw. I could potentially draw my 2nd WY moose tag this year, but in the random draw.
Does anyone see what the real problem is? Some of these residents might only get 1 moose and sheep tag in their life instead of 2 or 3 tags for each species. I feel so so bad lol.

wapitibob

WKR
The Commission already looked at the NR allocation 7,250 but will probably look again in the Task Force.

Last edited:
The Commission already looked at the NR allocation 7,250 but will probably look again in the Task Force.
Yeah that number could probably come down some too, create better general unit opportunity for residents. It has been established legally, repeated many times here, that the states hold wildlife in trust for their residents. So based on that, it seems WY residents take serious issue with any non-residents drawing a MSG or limited quantity tag before all residents are afforded that opportunity, regardless of how long (years) or how much ($) of an investment said non-residents have made in the draw system. Who cares what non-residents lose in the end? They can’t vote in WY anyways.

wapitibob

WKR
WYOGA is responsible for:

NR require guide in Wilderness

trying to switch NR special % from 40% to 60%

responsible for the Jan NR Elk deadline and results pushed back to 3rd week of May

on record 3/04/2021 saying NR Elk tags should be $1,400 regular and $2,000 special

Fatcamp

WKR

Hmmmmm. Looks like the push to convince people how awesome cow elk hunting is has begun. How long before the flat brim posse is wearing t-shirts that say, "You can't eat bone!" with a cow elk image.

WYOGA is responsible for:

NR require guide in Wilderness

trying to switch NR special % from 40% to 60%

responsible for the Jan NR Elk deadline and results pushed back to 3rd week of May

on record 3/04/2021 saying NR Elk tags should be $1,400 regular and $2,000 special
Creates quite a strange dynamic doesn’t it? WYOGA has clearly hurt NR DIY hunters in the past, but in the specific instance of SF 103 they are one of the only entities advocating for NR hunter interests (more specifically their own outfitting $ interests).

Definitely interesting times.....