Wyoming proposal to slash Non-resident hunters

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
No need to get angry with Buzz folks. I’m just thankful that he is passionate about all his efforts. I know he has he has done a lot of good and done things that benefit me. While as a nonresident I love the chance at getting a better tag some day, I can’t blame Buzz or other residents for wanting these changes. If I were a resident I’m sure I would too. If Buzz is passionate about all the other things he works on, I would expect him to be just as passionate about this...and I can respect that.

Does anyone see what the real problem is? Some of these residents might only get 1 moose and sheep tag in their life instead of 2 or 3 tags for each species. I feel so so bad lol.
I’ve been pretty vocal in this thread on my support for the 90/10 but this is something I can totally agree on. I believe Sheep/moose ( goat pretty much already is) tags should be once in a lifetime for all hunters. If something doesn’t change there, our youth will most likely never get the opportunity to hunt these species in the state

Ten Bears

WKR
It seems to always come down to 2 things in this well cooked argument that face us as Nonnies....

The opportunity to hunt quality/abundant tags vs. how much will we have to pay for it. For me opportunity trumps everything. I can make more money, I can't conjure a tag....

Pick your poison, in this case I have to pick siding with WYOGA....and it is a gross feeling....

jmez

WKR
Creates quite a strange dynamic doesn’t it? WYOGA has clearly hurt NR DIY hunters in the past, but in the specific instance of SF 103 they are one of the only entities advocating for NR hunter interests (more specifically their own outfitting $ interests).

Definitely interesting times.....
Has 0 to do with them advocating for NR interests.

sneaky

"DADDY"
WYOGA is responsible for:

NR require guide in Wilderness

trying to switch NR special % from 40% to 60%

responsible for the Jan NR Elk deadline and results pushed back to 3rd week of May

on record 3/04/2021 saying NR Elk tags should be $1,400 regular and $2,000 special
When Sy sent out his little form email a week or so ago I responded that we'll have a conversation on this when they do away with the wilderness rule for NR. Of course, no response. He doesn't give a damn about NR hunters unless they're going with a guide.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

When Sy sent out his little form email a week or so ago I responded that we'll have a conversation on this when they do away with the wilderness rule for NR. Of course, no response. He doesn't give a damn about NR hunters unless they're going with a guide.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Totally agree, I don’t think any NR DIY hunter is so naive to think the WYOGA cares about them, just a specific instance where interests align.
To your point about the wildness rule for NR, I think our band of WY resident hunters, who are so vocal about 90/10, will also be strangely silent about changing the wilderness rule.

slick

WKR
31.4 mil acres of public land in WY
3mil acres of designated wilderness

Still can’t make that work in my head that I should be mad that there are 28mil acres of public land (certainly some percentage is locked up in checkerboard)

Also, still can’t make it work in my head that I should be mad about 90/10.

Is the current system better for NR? think so, but I’m not so arrogant to believe that if I was a WY resident I’d be all on board with this.

And honestly I don’t have an issue with the recently “task forced” 90/10 either.

Can anyone just be grateful for the opportunities that are available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
They're for NR hunters that have disposable income and do what they can to create an environment where that income is needed to get tags.
Your friends today can be enemies tomorrow, today they were the NR‘s friend.

tdhanses

WKR

Still can’t make that work in my head that I should be mad that there are 28mil acres of public land (certainly some percentage is locked up in checkerboard)

Is the current system better for NR? think so, but I’m not so arrogant to believe that if I was a WY resident I’d be all on board with this.

And honestly I don’t have an issue with the recently “task forced” 90/10 either.

What if all the animals were in the 3m acres? We know they are not but that is 3m acres we pay for that we can’t hunt on without an outfitter, now to my knowledge the outfitter isn’t required to be a resident or have wilderness experience to protect us from the dangers of wilderness hunting. Their license gives them super babysitting powers.

Also I wonder if they could push the law at some point to be all federal lands.

Laramie

WKR

Slick,

What if you had invested over $1000 in preference points towards a permit that appears to be something you could draw in the next 5-10 years, and then were told that the rules were changing so you likely will never draw in your lifetime? Think you could get on board about being upset then?

Many of us are very grateful (not all, I realize that) for the opportunities. Plenty of us would be just fine with 90/10 and higher permit costs. I actually think it would help me as a general tag lover in the long run. However, parts of what were proposed were broken and a bit greedy. That's why it didn't pass this time.

Flyjunky

WKR
This whole conversation can be boiled down to this:

More money for less opportunity (LE opportunity).

Sounds like a good thing for the state of Wyoming, its residents, and the game dept budget.

Who can blame a state for wanting to do that when some of their "customers" don't get a say in the process?

I would be more on board with this if either LE tags were decreased but the fees stayed the same, or LE tags stayed same but fees were increased.

A point was brought up earlier about inflation and Wyoming NR fees are just keeping up with the times. I'm obviously not a resident but have resident fees been raised to keep up with the inflation as well, or is it just NR fees?

I would think that if residents cared about their wildlife and supporting their game dept they wouldn't have a problem with their fees going up significantly as well. In my home state it seems as though our fishing and hunting fees go up every couple years, but I don't mind. Licenses and tags are still cheaper than most other hobbies but it gets harder to swallow when the fees go up but the opportunity keeps going down.

Laramie

WKR
This whole conversation can be boiled down to this:

More money for less opportunity (LE opportunity).

Sounds like a good thing for the state of Wyoming, its residents, and the game dept budget.

Who can blame a state for wanting to do that when some of their "customers" don't get a say in the process?

I would be more on board with this if either LE tags were decreased but the fees stayed the same, or LE tags stayed same but fees were increased.

A point was brought up earlier about inflation and Wyoming NR fees are just keeping up with the times. I'm obviously not a resident but have resident fees been raised to keep up with the inflation as well, or is it just NR fees?

I would think that if residents cared about their wildlife and supporting their game dept they wouldn't have a problem with their fees going up significantly as well. In my home state it seems as though our fishing and hunting fees go up every couple years, but I don't mind. Licenses and tags are still cheaper than most other hobbies but it gets harder to swallow when the fees go up but the opportunity keeps going down.
Resident fees have basically doubled over the last 20 years, so yes, they have been increasing by about the same percentage but I anticipate that will change with disproportionate increases in non-resident fees.

Flyjunky

WKR
Resident fees have basically doubled over the last 20 years, so yes, they have been increasing by about the same percentage but I anticipate that will change with disproportionate increases in non-resident fees.
ok, thanks for the info!

LostArra

WKR
I don't understand the hate for the guides and outfitters. Just because I don't use them for hunting doesn't mean they don't provide a useful service for some hunters. I'm sure there are some crooks or jerks but that's in every walk of life.

They may have pushed for the stupid wilderness law but either the Wyo legislature or the WGF are the ones ultimately to blame.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
The head of Fish and Game at Thursday’s meeting said residents have not had a significant license increase since 2008. NR prices have gone up 100% since 2013. I’ve only hunted Wyoming since 1993 but I’ve enjoyed it and have been paying my way and following the rules and planning many more trips with all the points I have been buying for my son and I. Looks like there will be a lot less of that soon sadly.

WKR
Meanwhile, the residents kill their animals outside the wilderness...

The NR obsession with the wilderness areas is quite amusing when you've been on the other side of the curtain. (This applies mostly to elk.)

I’ve been pretty vocal in this thread on my support for the 90/10 but this is something I can totally agree on. I believe Sheep/moose ( goat pretty much already is) tags should be once in a lifetime for all hunters. If something doesn’t change there, our youth will most likely never get the opportunity to hunt these species in the state
It’s something I honestly don’t understand. Montana I believe tried to pass/passed a law that youth couldn’t apply for the oil type species until 14 years old a couple years ago. But an adult can draw multiple sheep tags. Blows my mind.

slick

WKR
Slick,

What if you had invested over $1000 in preference points towards a permit that appears to be something you could draw in the next 5-10 years, and then were told that the rules were changing so you likely will never draw in your lifetime? Think you could get on board about being upset then?

Many of us are very grateful (not all, I realize that) for the opportunities. Plenty of us would be just fine with 90/10 and higher permit costs. I actually think it would help me as a general tag lover in the long run. However, parts of what were proposed were broken and a bit greedy. That's why it didn't pass this time.

I guess to answer your question. Yes, you have every right to be mad. I’m just not.

And I think that difference just goes to show that there are many different ways to shake the stick at it.

Someone wants OIL tags
Someone wants it to be PP
Someone wants Bonus
Someone wants weighted them divided pts

NR want to shoot moose in ND
NR want to shoot goats in NV
NR want to shoot elk in SD
NR want to shoot sheep in NE

Both want Gila Elk
Both want Strip Deer
Both want Breaks sheep
Both want Snowy Moose

Residents want more tags
Non residents want more tags.

Even if we could wave a wand and change all the states, people would still disagree.

So I can’t blame WY for looking out for their residents. And we all place different values on something, if this were to pass and your idea of value and outlook on WY were to change then thats your perrogative.

When you don’t apply for things you want the only person that’s missing out will be you. Not trying to be a dick

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
Meanwhile, the residents kill their animals outside the wilderness...

The NR obsession with the wilderness areas is quite amusing when you've been on the other side of the curtain. (This applies mostly to elk.)
The wilderness, for the most part, is not practical to hunt without horses.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk