Wyoming proposal to slash Non-resident hunters

BuzzH

WKR
Does anyone see what the real problem is? Some of these residents might only get 1 moose and sheep tag in their life instead of 2 or 3 tags for each species. I feel so so bad lol.
I shouldn't be allowed to put in for moose again in Wyoming. But, the regulations say I can...so, I'll put in.

I would support a bill/regulation to make moose, bison and sheep once in a lifetime. Should have been that way all along.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The wilderness, for the most part, is not practical to hunt without horses.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Not true at all. Plenty of the wilderness areas in western Wyoming are just as accessible as any of the FS lands surrounding them. Plenty of big deer in those areas that residents hunt without horses.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
It is in many cases.
I would love to hear about an area in Wyoming that is more dangerous than the Bob Marshall wilderness which any resident of any state is more than welcome to hunt.

For the record, i agree with those that that say hunting wilderness is overrated. That said, this is still the most ridiculous justification for any hunting law in this country. It's outfitter welfare and everyone knows it, just be honest.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
I would love to hear about an area in Wyoming that is more dangerous than the Bob Marshall wilderness which any resident of any state is more than welcome to hunt.

For the record, i agree with those that that say hunting wilderness is overrated. That said, this is still the most ridiculous justification for any hunting law in this country. It's outfitter welfare and everyone knows it, just be honest.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The wilderness in Wyoming is nothing special and like Dos Perros said, Colorado is higher and Montana has more bears. No reason other than welfare for them to have the restriction they do.

Hence my comment, it is different. Hell, take a look at the WSA's in Wyoming. Based purely on location versus ruggedness at this point and because of this regulation they receive almost no support from arguably the largest group of land protection advocates in the nation.

Wyoming needs to fix that. Instead they are full steam ahead the opposite direction with continuing to alienate NR hunters.

wytx

WKR
I shouldn't be allowed to put in for moose again in Wyoming. But, the regulations say I can...so, I'll put in.

I would support a bill/regulation to make moose, bison and sheep once in a lifetime. Should have been that way all along.
I say make those draws random and no OIL. I've had 2 moose tags and would love another. Spouse should draw his 2nd this year. No reason we should be OIL on moose and sheep. No one is guaranteed a license in Wyoming and keep it that way.

BuzzH

WKR
I say make those draws random and no OIL. I've had 2 moose tags and would love another. Spouse should draw his 2nd this year. No reason we should be OIL on moose and sheep. No one is guaranteed a license in Wyoming and keep it that way.
I'd be fine with that, get it on the task force agenda.

Better call and chat with your Buddy Sy...he wants to make it OIL and retroactive to the start of the point system for moose and sheep. Oh, and he's on the task force too...

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR

Thought you cared about residents having opportunities, you had your op yet still want to take an op away from the residents that haven’t by continuing to apply. Do you really need the state to force your hand or do you really just not give a crap about others enough to make your own choice without a gov agency having to tell you what to do.

In reality you are just greedy, you buy every tag you can so others can’t get them even if you know you have zero plan to hunt and you apply for tags you already had that most will never get a chance at a first opportunity, tell me I’m wrong.

In reality you are just greedy, you buy every tag you can so others can’t get them even if you know you have zero plan to hunt and you apply for tags you already had that most will never get a chance at a first opportunity, tell me I’m wrong.
I’m not much of a person who ruffles feathers, BuzzH is a good person that I’m aware of, that being said.....

he does buy every tag possible and let’s everyone know too, I can’t say I would be any different if I lived in WY and at his age he has been used to getting every tag he wants. Too say he is greedy over the wildlife in WY is probably spot on, same goes for the wildlife here in Idaho where I live. I feel as a resident living here that we are entitled to more. If you think differently move to the state, pay the taxes, vote, make the same money that we make etc.... personally I hope this doesn’t work out, I try to hunt every other year in WY. I do feel that WY residents that have friends that come from out of state to hunt with them will be negatively affected. A lot goes into a decision like this and is probably why it was voted down and passed to a committee.
Matt

BuzzH

WKR
Thought you cared about residents having opportunities, you had your op yet still want to take an op away from the residents that haven’t by continuing to apply. Do you really need the state to force your hand or do you really just not give a crap about others enough to make your own choice without a gov agency having to tell you what to do.

I'm fine with OIL...I had nothing to do with the current regulations for M, S, here. I waited my 5 years and apply in the random now. I follow regulation.

I do care about Resident opportunity, and under 90-10 about 35 more residents will hunt sheep each year, 350 over a 10 year period...about the same for moose....and so on.

In 10 years, 700 more residents will hunt those species, that's significant.

As far as the tags I buy, that's my business...and again, I follow regulation. I like to have options depending on how much time I have to hunt. The worst feeling in the fall is wasting a single day not hunting. I also like to hunt for very specific antlerless animals with those tags as well. If I don't find the right one, I let them walk...no different than I do with antlered/horned game.

Trial153

WKR
At some point when non residents are almost totally shut out your going to PLT to the states looking better and better.
If it isnt a natinal park or monument then let states pay for it, see how that works our for them. Why should the rest of america foot bill for only a statesresidents to exclusivity.

BuzzH

WKR
At some point when non residents are almost totally shut out your going to PLT to the states looking better and better.
If it isnt a natinal park or monument then let states pay for it, see how that works our for them. Why should the rest of america foot bill for only a statesresidents to exclusivity.
Explain how 10% of the tags in the initial draw is "totally shutting out" NR's.

Explain how rolling every single undersubscribed R tag into the NR initial draw is "totally shutting out" NR's.

Explain how giving NR's a shot at every single leftover tags is "totally shutting out" NRs.

Explain how Region wide deer tags, that will not be impacted by 90-10 is "totally shutting out" NR's.

Explain how continuing to issue 7,250 full price NR elk tags in the initial draw is "totally shutting out" NR's.

By the way, if you have moose or sheep points, I recommend burning them soon. I hear those opposing 90-10 in Wyoming are talking "compromise"...they too see the handwriting on the wall.

Trial153

WKR
Explain how 10% of the tags in the initial draw is "totally shutting out" NR's.

Explain how rolling every single undersubscribed R tag into the NR initial draw is "totally shutting out" NR's.

Explain how giving NR's a shot at every single leftover tags is "totally shutting out" NRs.

Explain how Region wide deer tags, that will not be impacted by 90-10 is "totally shutting out" NR's.

Explain how continuing to issue 7,250 full price NR elk tags in the initial draw is "totally shutting out" NR's.

By the way, if you have moose or sheep points, I recommend burning them soon. I hear those opposing 90-10 in Wyoming are talking "compromise"...they too see the handwriting on the wall.
In my lifetime have yet to NR opportunity improve. So what we have seen with WY and other states in the past is just the tip of the iceburg. It will get worse.

And to be quite frank it pretty apparent when poster boy for this sounds like a greedy bastard like your self..

BuzzH

WKR
In my lifetime have yet to NR opportunity improve. So what we have seen with WY and other states in the past is just the tip of the iceburg. It will get worse.

And to be quite frank it pretty apparent when poster boy for this sounds like a greedy bastard like your self..
I call it maximizing Resident opportunity and doing nothing differently than every other State in the West.

CO and WY were the last hold-outs, just not sustainable in either case anymore. We did a good job of promoting R3...we just forgot to consider the impacts on the resource and R hunters numbers would increase too. Akin to buying a pro baseball team full of players, and forgetting you have to build a stadium. Cart got in front of the horse...big-time.

Be thankful those states provided more than most for the longest time...they could have been "greedy bastards" like every other State in the West a long time ago.

Trial153

WKR
I call it maximizing Resident opportunity and doing nothing differently than every other State in the West.

CO and WY were the last hold-outs, just not sustainable in either case anymore. We did a good job of promoting R3...we just forgot to consider the impacts on the resource and R hunters numbers would increase too. Akin to buying a pro baseball team full of players, and forgetting you have to build a stadium. Cart got in front of the horse...big-time.

Be thankful those states provided more than most for the longest time...they could have been "greedy bastards" like every other State in the West a long time ago.
Go for it. Go to 100% for residents. See how that works for you.

Ten Bears

WKR

You keep comparing Wyoming to other states while completely ignoring the Wilderness rule. It’s not the same across the board.

As a Chair of BHA how do you feel this sits with the mission statements of Hunter Recruitment/Access and Opportunity ?

Answer honestly. If you were a non resident with money/points invested in this would you be upset ?