Wyoming proposal to slash Non-resident hunters

Squincher

WKR
It sure seems like We are super good at bitching and complaining to and at each other. And tearing each other apart... instead of coming together and standing together against the anti’s

Residents seem to be working as hard as the antis to limit my opportunity, but we should stand together to protect yours? Give me a break.

wysongdog

WKR
Residents seem to be working as hard as the antis to limit my opportunity, but we should stand together to protect yours? Give me a break.
Keep your chicken nuggets at home then. I don’t care as do most of us. I play the game in other states too. Nr bring revenue to our state and come to hunt. Just as I do when I go out of state.

Last edited by a moderator:

BBob

WKR
You seem to think you are entitled to the resource, I disagree. I don't mind sharing but the State and their Residents that have curated the resource for a very long time before you came along should get to decide who gets the resource.

wysongdog

WKR
You seem to think you are entitled to the resource, I disagree. I don't mind sharing but the State and their Residents that have curated the resource for a very long time before you came along should get to decide who gets the resource.
I suppose you are right..i do feel I’m a little more entitled than some. I help with the rmef, mmf. I participate In predator control measures, refencino projects, just off the top of my head. To help wyoming wildlife. I’m sure there‘s a couple others I’m missing. I’ve been doing this for about... 35 years. Sure there are lots that have been doing it much longer than me. But I’m trying to do my part...
and yourself?

wysongdog

WKR
I just saved $350-$500 because of this thread. I will usually spend around that much at the local RMEF banquet.
Why spend that money just to benefit residents?
It’s kinda like us going to Utah or colorado Rief banquets. Because we can and it helps our fellow hunters and wildlife. But go ahead and keep your money. I honestly feel your frustion.

BBob

WKR
I suppose you are right..i do feel I’m a little more entitled than some. I help with the rmef, mmf. I participate In predator control measures, refencino projects, just off the top of my head. To help wyoming wildlife. I’m sure there‘s a couple others I’m missing. I’ve been doing this for about... 35 years. Sure there are lots that have been doing it much longer than me. But I’m trying to do my part...
and yourself?
FYI I didn't point my reply at you, it was pointed at the guy from the Midwest.

Myself and family have a very very long history in AZ as far as elk go. In the early 1900's Elk were extinct here, not a one existed anymore. AZ took it upon themselves to bring them back. This was done mostly at the local level out of Winslow, AZ. My great grandfather, his brothers along with many others assisted with donating time and $$ to the effort. In 1913 the first batch of elk were taken from Montana (thank you Montana :) ) and were released south of Winslow, a place called Cabin Draw in unit 4A where our family ran cattle and sheep. I've been hunting here for near 50 years and been active as best I can supporting our wildlife, so yeah I feel a bit entitled at home myself as well.

That said I suppose AZ should have no quota for Montana residents that want to hunt elk in AZ :)

Last edited:

wysongdog

WKR
FYI I didn't point my reply at you, it was pointed at the guy from the Midwest.

Myself and family have a very very long history in AZ as far as elk go. In the early 1900's Elk were extinct here, not a one existed anymore. AZ took it upon themselves to bring them back. This was done mostly at the local level out of Winslow, AZ. My great grandfather and his brothers assisted with donating time and $$ to the effort. In 1913 the first batch of elk were taken from Montana (thank you Montana :) ) and were released south of Winslow, a place called Cabin Draw in unit 4A where our family ran cattle and sheep. I've been hunting here for near 50 years and been active as best I can supporting our wildlife. So yeah I feel a bit entitled at home myself as well.

That said I suppose AZ should have no quota for non-res Montana residents that want to hunt elk in AZ :)
Thank you and your family for helping bring the elk back. You are 100% correct. I think there’s a lot of panties in a bad spot on this issue. My opionion on this matter is.. just my opinion.. as non residents we are all left wanting... and honestly I’ve never done as much to help Nevada’s, New Mexico’s, Arizona’s, colorado’s, montana’s elk as I’ve tried to help Wyoming’s. But...I’ve never pissed and moaned about there quotas either.. maybe wyoming has spoiled everyone applying here?

BBob

WKR
I've openly stated I begrudge no state in implementing quota's for their animals. I'm all for it. I still donate to the cause that supports wildlife elsewhere, why wouldn't I?

I understand the desire to do these things but the resources can't support everyone to get their "fair" share anymore. We are all doing with less than what we had before. I might draw one maybe two prime elk tags in the rest of my life, far cry of what it used to be but that's the way it is.

Last edited:
The sad reality is, you guys love giving the government more money to simply piss it away. The budgets these DOW's have are insane and yet many have no problem feeding the beast.

Ever walk into a DOW and really look around? It's the definition of waste! Not excluding the retired on active duty staff that work there.

Slugz

WKR
Its interesting to watch this post on Rokslide and Eastmans and see the difference.

slick

WKR
The sad reality is, you guys love giving the government more money to simply piss it away. The budgets these DOW's have are insane and yet many have no problem feeding the beast.

Ever walk into a DOW and really look around? It's the definition of waste! Not excluding the retired on active duty staff that work there.

Interesting. I’ve never noticed that. Care to give an example?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squincher

WKR
It sure seems like We are super good at bitching and complaining to and at each other. And tearing each other apart... instead of coming together and standing together against the anti’s

Keep your chicken nuggets at home then. I don’t care as do most of us. I play the game in other states too. Nr bring revenue to our state and come to hunt. Just as I do when I go out of state.

Well, that isn't "coming together and standing together" at all is it? It didn't take much to bring out your true, crappy attitude towards NR.

Squincher

WKR

Actually, I seem to think residents who want to limit opportunities for NR hunters shouldn't complain about a lack of unity in the hunting community. Since that is actually what I posted.

Trial153

WKR
I still want to know why NR get any allocation at all. It's been established on here that the state doesn't need the money, it doesn't need the economic impact NR hunting imparts on the economy. And that all wildlife belongs to the state. So why shouldn't the residents of the state should fully benefit from it.
If 90/10 is good why not go 100/0?
In fact why don't all western states go 100/0?

I am sure it's out of the goodness of their hearts and resident sportman in an abundance of goodwill lobby for it. If the fine displays of comradery we seen here are any indication that must be the answer.

So if 90/10 is good then why isnt 100/0 the gold standard?

wytx

WKR
I'd be fine with that, get it on the task force agenda.

Better call and chat with your Buddy Sy...he wants to make it OIL and retroactive to the start of the point system for moose and sheep. Oh, and he's on the task force too...
Odd, never said or implied Sy was my buddy but whatever Buzz.

As pointed out, Buzz does not speak for all residents but he does get our voices heard.

CorbLand

WKR
I still want to know why NR get any allocation at all. It's been established on here that the state doesn't need the money, it doesn't need the economic impact NR hunting imparts on the economy. And that all wildlife belongs to the state. So why shouldn't the residents of the state should fully benefit from it.
If 90/10 is good why not go 100/0?
In fact why don't all western states go 100/0?

I am sure it's out of the goodness of their hearts and resident sportman in an abundance of goodwill lobby for it. If the fine displays of comradery we seen here are any indication that must be the answer.

So if 90/10 is good then why isnt 100/0 the gold standard?
States still need the money that non residents bring but if you can make the same off 100 tags why give out 1000? Most government entities aren't allowed a surplus so you basically try to break even every year.

For those that think or say this is all about the money and that more tags should go to NR because they pay more. The same argument can be made for governor tags. Why the hell does a state sell you a tag for 1000 when they can auction it for 15000 plus?

States can make these choices and if that is what the residents of that state want, then that is what the state should do. At which point, if the resident tags must be increased in cost, then that is what the residents voted for and that is the consequences of their choice.

Meanwhile, the residents kill their animals outside the wilderness...

The NR obsession with the wilderness areas is quite amusing when you've been on the other side of the curtain. (This applies mostly to elk.)

So residents should be in favor of more NR pressure in the wilderness and less outside of it then?