Wyoming Random draw vs. preference point vs. special

Could someone help me out and clear up the difference between these three, specifically the special license? I've googled it and can't decipher exactly what the special license is. I've been in AK the last 5 years chasing animals up there. Time to get back to the lower 48 animals. I've got 5 points at the moment and starting to game plan for the future. Thanks guys!

The special is a higher priced license fee that has a certain number of tags set aside. It is the same tag/type as the regular price tag though.
There is random for regular price and random for special fee also.

UtahJimmy

WKR
This is from 2 seasons ago, but it's pretty good at explaining:

713381ff5ec31d80db74f0bd60606d62.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
There are 3 draws for Elk/Deer/Antelope;
Special price
Regular price
Reduced price doe/fawn (Deer/Antelope)

special and regular are comprised of 2 draws; Preference point, and Random
The Reduced price draw is random only

You can apply Special, Special and Reduced, Regular, Regular and Reduced, or Reduced.

OP
Dexter Grayson
So if I put in for a tag and don't have enough points I still have a chance to pull the tag through random draw?

wapitibob

WKR
Yes, if there are random tags available. The landowners draw first, then quotas are re allocated. Those new allocations may not allow for a random tag.
The random demand reports will show those hunts, but that doesn’t mean everything will repeat.

NrthFrk16

Lil-Rokslider
Another question: What is < for? Confused what the Wyoming reports and GoHunt mean by <5pts for example.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Another question: What is < for? Confused what the Wyoming reports and GoHunt mean by <5pts for example.

WY doesn't round group points. Example: I have 5 points, you have 4. We put in as a group with 4.50 points. Therefore we are in between 4 and 5 points. Thus, we have <5 points.

Since it is Max point draw, if there are enough tags to satisfy the entire <5 group will will draw before anyone in the 4 point group will be allotted a tag.

A couple things to keep in mind when applying to Wyoming for the first time:

- The special draw does not guarantee better draw odds than the regular draw. In a number of cases I've seen units I was interested drawn with lesser points in the regular draw.
- Because the special draw has less total tags allotted to it, if you don't have enough points to guarantee drawing and are relying on the random draw, in a lot of cases it's easier to draw in the random draw portion of the regular draw as opposed to the random draw portion of the special draw. Consider that especially for units that don't give out a lot of tags.

cnelk

WKR
What really throws a wrench into the mix is when tag allocations are increased/decreased from the previous year.

justin84

Lil-Rokslider
A couple things to keep in mind when applying to Wyoming for the first time:

- The special draw does not guarantee better draw odds than the regular draw. In a number of cases I've seen units I was interested drawn with lesser points in the regular draw.
- Because the special draw has less total tags allotted to it, if you don't have enough points to guarantee drawing and are relying on the random draw, in a lot of cases it's easier to draw in the random draw portion of the regular draw as opposed to the random draw portion of the special draw. Consider that especially for units that don't give out a lot of tags.

Interesting. I'll have to take a closer look at the draw results. If I remember right, the areas I've always watched had a very similar quota (anywhere from 1 to 6) but always had way fewer applicants in the special. I could be missing something, though.

Interesting. I'll have to take a closer look at the draw results. If I remember right, the areas I've always watched had a very similar quota (anywhere from 1 to 6) but always had way fewer applicants in the special. I could be missing something, though.

Maybe I shouldn't have said "in a lot of cases" but it does happen. 63-2 antelope in 2019 is an example. That was a unit I was watching and noticed from this past year.

justin84

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe I shouldn't have said "in a lot of cases" but it does happen. 63-2 antelope in 2019 is an example. That was a unit I was watching and noticed from this past year.

Yea I gotcha. I figured it depends on the area. It has taken awhile to fully understand the WY application process but I think I have it figured out now.