Wyoming Region A 2018 Father/Son

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Hey everyone, I am looking for information on Region A in Wyoming for a mule deer hunt I am tentatively planning for 2018.

This year my dad decided to go deer hunting for the first time in 3 or 4 years with me, at 63 years old and having worked in the West Virginia Coal mines all his life, he has had surgery on his back, and neck so far and has arthritis in his back, neck, shoulders, wrists and now knees. He used to be able to climb the mountains with the best of em. But now not so much.

I didnt realize how much I missed hunting with him, sure i didnt hunt as hard as I normally do this year (no 2 mile hikes into the national forest up here for me this year) because I went with him in places he could go. But I enjoyed it alot, and it made me think often of the old days when I was growing up and hunting with him etc.

So one night I was scrolling through facebook and a picture of a mule deer went by, he asked "who killed that" and I was like "oh some guy out west, I dont know, it's just in one of those mule deer groups i am in on facebook" my dad then says "boy I'd like to kill one of them mules one day"

And so now here I am a few weeks later, I have scoured the internet, e-mailed Robby Denning and aggravated him trying to pry info out of him...lol and I "think" I have settled on wyoming region A to take the old man on a mule deer "western" hunt.

I know it doesn't hold "trophy" potential, and isn't as epic as an idaho or colorado high country hunt etc etc. but non residents can draw 100% and of course my dad has no preference points for wyoming. Plus the Black Hills he may be able to handle much better than Idaho backcountry etc. and of course I can get my feet wet out there, and get some experience under my belt before I use my preference point on a really good unit a few years down the road.

So my question to my fellow roksliders is, can you provide me with any information that would help our hunt be successful? I knwo the whitetail outnumber the mule deer there, from what i have read in my research so far, so we will have our work cut out for us finding mule deer "pockets"

Thanks in advance, and pm me if needed with the info

I have hunted this region a few times. And I know guys who hunt it every year for the past 20 years. The public holds mostly whitetails. On occasion a decent muley is killed but its always on private. At least for the group of hunters i know.
Tony

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I have hunted this region a few times. And I know guys who hunt it every year for the past 20 years. The public holds mostly whitetails. On occasion a decent muley is killed but its always on private. At least for the group of hunters i know.
Tony
Thanks Tony, I may have to look at other areas as I have no access to private

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

wyo_gasman

Lil-Rokslider
You could try for a random tag in one of the western areas, there is some country in G and K that arent too terrible to hike that offer good opportunities for decent bucks.

aboss014

FNG
You could try for a random tag in one of the western areas, there is some country in G and K that arent too terrible to hike that offer good opportunities for decent bucks.

You arent getting your hands on a G or K tag with 0pts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've hunted there for years, paying a trespass fee to hunt a large cattle ranch. Mule deer populations there have really grown there over the last five years. Definitely get OnX, that place is a patchwork of public and private. We usually hunt the third week of November. Deer are in full rut, and are easy to find and hunt. Holding out for a decent 3/4 point deer should be easy. There are good places to stay in Bel Fourche and Spearfish. From my experience on the ranch, snow pushes the deer towards the river bottoms from higher in the Black Hills. PM me if you want more area specific information.

View attachment 68674
Shot my first buck up there in November of last year. There is a lot of private but there is also plenty of public land and a decent amount of roads that traverse them. It rained when I was there and the roads were absolutely miserable, but I think that keeps a lot of people out. Sounds like a majority of the hunters just drive through the Black Hills area since theres a couple roads that go entirely through it. Supposedly the region is around 50/50 muley to whitetail ratio but it seems to be heavily dependent on where you hunt. In the Black Hills area, you are more likely to run into the whitetails, but I hunted the chunks of BLM and only saw mule deer. I also picked up a leftover doe pronghorn tag for unit 4 (i think) that is in region A which was pretty cool, lots of pronghorn around too. Feel free to message me with any questions, happy to help where I can

Hawkeye5964

Lil-Rokslider
Tugrivercopper, I have hunted this area with really good success on mule deer. PM if you want