Wyoming Region C

npro04

Lil-Rokslider
Headed to region C for rifle mule deer. Taking dad west for his first time. Was hoping someone could give me some insight on expected terrain, typical weather for early-mid October and what size deer we should expect to see in the area. I know that every unit/region can have runts and trophies but just looking for what the typical buck runs. I’ve been looking through all kinds of maps and photos and weather forecasts but thought maybe someone who has had boots on the ground could give me a little better idea as to what to expect.

Elite7

FNG
Hunted C a couple years ago. The terrain is pretty cut up but you should be able to tell that from google earch or OnX. We saw a lot of does and a handful of bucks when we hunted it. Based on what we saw i wouldn’t pass on the first buck that makes you happy

OP
npro04

npro04

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the insight guys. We got some access to some private ground so hopefully that’s worth it. I’ve been out there a few times but more on the east side near the thunder basin grasslands on some antelope hunts. Thinking maybe the terrain will be similar? Has it been a rough year out there for rain this year?

Hunted that area in 2019 4 of us killed nice antelope all of them were in the 14 to 15 in. horn range, As we did not have mule deer tags that year but seen a few nice bucks and that was when the season was closed, as stated bye Elite 7 might not of be 180 class deer but they were nice deer one was a 4x4 and the other was 4x3 plus a couple of nice forks. We hunt on a private ranch, that year there was a group of hunters there prior too us that we spoke too the last day of deer season and they killed some nice deer. 2020 I could not go but some of the guys I hunted with during 2019 went and killed two nice mulies and super big whitetail, Good luck, We will be in that region hunting from the 10th thru the 14th the terraine we hunt is mostly open grass with brushy cuts really not a difficult area too get around in. There are some ravines that had water in them in 2019 and a few stock ponds on the ranch hope they have water this year. The weather in 2019 was decent only had one bad day was very windy with a mix of rain ,sleet and snow, the guys in 2020 said they had really cold wet, snowy conditions you never know what the wyoming weather is going too hand you .

Last edited:

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
My buddies and I have hunted C for the last five years. As others have said, depending where you are water may be key. Was dry last year and looking like it may be dry again this year. Terrain we hunt is lots of ridges and ravines. Most of the mature deer we have killed has been by glassing shade. Once the sun is up they want out of the sun.

OP
npro04

npro04

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate it guys. Sounds like the area is going to be about what I expected it to be.

I am going to C this year and will be my first Solo DIY hunt. Can’t wait to start glassing that country. Good luck to you and your dad!

clwg97

FNG
I am going to region B and am starting to get pumped up! Good luck to everyone headed out.

I'll see you in C, I'd love to find a decent trespass fee somewhere but I have a feeling my idea of decent differs from others.

I've hunted Region C a couple times. Public land is quite limited which can be frustrating. PM me, would be happy to help.
I appreciate it. I've got a buddy who lives in Sundance. We will be hunting together. We're planning to pack in a few miles and hunt from there. He's got a couple of spots in mind but backup plans are always welcome. Nothing ever goes according to plan.

jhemphunt

FNG
Anyone have a report for General Zone C from 2022? We drew NR Deer tags for this fall out there. Never hunted Zone C before. Any help appreciated.

wyosteve

WKR
It’s been a few years but at that time I heard trespass fees were running $1250 for deer.

Won't tell you who or where but the trespass fee price this year is 1000 dollars first week, for deer and antelope, this will be our 3rd trip and have always had good hunting.