Wyoming Region G - Star Valley Outfitters

My father and I are planning a hunt in Wyoming Region G. We both have 9 points for mule deer so we should have no problem drawing. We are looking into a hunt with Star Valley outfitters. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them and how they enjoyed the hunt? Or if you have any other outfitters your recommend and if you have hunted with them before or not?

Those guys run a decent operation. No better or worse than similar outfitters in the area. Have you looked at Double Diamond?

OP
M
Those guys run a decent operation. No better or worse than similar outfitters in the area. Have you looked at Double Diamond?
Yes, I have called and left a message with them as well as other outfitters in the area. With it being season at the moment I figure it’ll be a while before I hear back.

sneaky

WKR
9 points isn't a guarantee in G anymore. Point creep is a real concern.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
M
9 points isn't a guarantee in G anymore. Point creep is a real concern.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Very true! But I figure it’s good to start planning so that even if we don’t draw next year, when we finally do draw I’ll have a good idea of what I’m wanting.

bgipson

FNG
They're well-known for the area and do pretty well. Not the most popular amongst many of the locals due to some of the typical hubbub you hear about outfitters doing crappy stuff to ruin average Joe hunts. That being said, you'll likely be lucky to find a spot for next year and should probably plan on 2024. Point creep also almost guarantees you WON'T draw with 9. Good luck though!

I got a buddy that guides in that area. PM me and I’ll pass along his info.

I’ve seen pics of their bucks and look good.

The guy I kno is a good guy too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j_volt

WKR
I’m not sure if the OP is going with them this year or not, but I did hunt with them this year. If anyone stumbles upon this while researching Star Valley Outfitters, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I’m not sure if the OP is going with them this year or not, but I did hunt with them this year. If anyone stumbles upon this while researching Star Valley Outfitters, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
How was the hunt?

Scottf270

WKR
I appreciate you offering to share details of your hunt by pm but a general thumbs up or thumbs down posted on the open forum would be appreciated as well. Then if someone wants details, they can use the pm feature.

I know some people are scared of posting negative info on the web, but a brief statement helps in future searches.

j_volt

WKR
How was the hunt?
I appreciate you offering to share details of your hunt by pm but a general thumbs up or thumbs down posted on the open forum would be appreciated as well. Then if someone wants details, they can use the pm feature.

I know some people are scared of posting negative info on the web, but a brief statement helps in future searches.

Overall, I would not recommend using this outfitter. This general disapproval is not due to the harsh winter, but a host of other details. For what it is worth, the camp went 0 for 5 on deer, but I believe that is likely significantly more indicative of the winter than the outfit itself.

This was my third outfitted hunt, so I have some experience to compare to, but not a ton. However, I would like to note that the guides were the best collective of guides that I have ever seen at an outfit.

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Overall, I would not recommend using this outfitter. This general disapproval is not due to the harsh winter, but a host of other details. For what it is worth, the camp went 0 for 5 on deer, but I believe that is likely significantly more indicative of the winter than the outfit itself.

This was my third outfitted hunt, so I have some experience to compare to, but not a ton. However, I would like to note that the guides were the best collective of guides that I have ever seen at an outfit.
I'm confused, you wouldn't use this outfitter, but not because of the guides or tough hunting? What was the issue?

You should share a recap of how the hunting was. Lots of guys wondering what G is looking like.

j_volt

WKR
You should share a recap of how the hunting was. Lots of guys wondering what G is looking like.
We hunted from legal shooting light to legal shooting light each day. We were never late to a glassing point and we never left early. Deer seen by day were as follows:
  • Day 1: 0 bucks, 3 does
  • Day 2: 6 bucks, 2 does
  • Day 3: 7 bucks, 1 doe
  • Day 4: 0 bucks, 0 does
  • Day 5: 2 bucks, 5 does

We hunted different places each day. All bucks were dinks. We saw 1 4 point and it was small. The rest of the bucks were spikes, forkies, and small 3s.

Per my guide, he has never seen the hunting this bad. Per his recollection, he couldn't remember ever not seeing a buck in a day prior to this year.

The theories for the poor hunting included:
  • Winter kill
  • Big bucks were in timber stripping velvet since the velvet held longer this year
  • Better feed so the deer didn't have to leave the timber to eat

Note that I have absolutely nothing to compare it to as I have never hunted mule deer in Wyoming before this.

We hunted from legal shooting light to legal shooting light each day. We were never late to a glassing point and we never left early. Deer seen by day were as follows:
  • Day 1: 0 bucks, 3 does
  • Day 2: 6 bucks, 2 does
  • Day 3: 7 bucks, 1 doe
  • Day 4: 0 bucks, 0 does
  • Day 5: 2 bucks, 5 does

We hunted different places each day. All bucks were dinks. We saw 1 4 point and it was small. The rest of the bucks were spikes, forkies, and small 3s.

Per my guide, he has never seen the hunting this bad. Per his recollection, he couldn't remember ever not seeing a buck in a day prior to this year.

The theories for the poor hunting included:
  • Winter kill
  • Big bucks were in timber stripping velvet since the velvet held longer this year
  • Better feed so the deer didn't have to leave the timber to eat

Note that I have absolutely nothing to compare it to as I have never hunted mule deer in Wyoming before this.
Rough hunt... I just got back from my hunt and similar story. Scouted in the summer and had a handful of nice bucks...lucked out opening day and harvested one of them in the thick timber.

willidru

WKR
I just got back from hunting with SVO as well, I didn't hunt G, but had to ride through it everyday to get to my area. Having hunted the area before I can say deer numbers were lower than when I was there 4 years ago.

I've gone outfitted 4 other times for deer and elk and I think they have a good outfit from my experience.

Nice accommodations - big wall tent with single or double occupancy, nice cots and fire. Big cook tent with good meals, shower and outhouse.

Guides - Hard working, knowledgeable on the area, have good equipment can generally score animals.

I do think it is a very tough hunt, big country with a lot of saddle time. Burn your eyes into the glass, but opportunity for giants is real. I personally had opportunities on 2 above average deer last week and one of the other hunters had a chance at a true tank. Hunt is definitely a grind but there are some good ones that survived the winter. Success rates for the unit are typically under 40%, but I'm interested to see what they look like this year. We did have some weather while I was there which is always helpful. I've done Bob's shooting school and met with him at the expo and have always thought he was a straight shooter.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lannyw