Wyoming region H or G?

huffmad

FNG
I was in G in 2018 and H in 2019. We saw way more bucks in G. I asked the main Bio at the check station what region had bigger bucks and he said hands down G. That said I think G is more backpack friendly and H is more horse friendly.

No I don’t hunt wilderness and neither do my friends that are up there we hunted together this year (I had an elk tag) and we never set foot anywhere near wilderness and we were very successful on both deer and elk tags...
This helpful. Thanks! Does season make a huge difference there? Meaning, do deer need to migrate down/ out of the wilderness to be accessible or enough early season options to get on?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jd259

WKR
This helpful. Thanks! Does season make a huge difference there? Meaning, do deer need to migrate down/ out of the wilderness to be accessible or enough early season options to get on?

No they don’t need to migrate out of the wilderness there’s tons of country to hunt them on the forest but if you want to hunt them in the high country the earlier the better to try and beat the weather we were in there the last week of September this year and got over a foot of snow that week

4ester

WKR
Good to hear everyone debating G and H still. Looks like the regions in Wyoming that have the big bucks are still a secret!

Exactly. With the bad winter mortality over the past 3 years G & H are hurting pretty dang bad. And this winter is shaping up to hurt them again. A foot of snow already in their winter ranges and a long road ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No they don’t need to migrate out of the wilderness there’s tons of country to hunt them on the forest but if you want to hunt them in the high country the earlier the better to try and beat the weather we were in there the last week of September this year and got over a foot of snow that week
Thanks! Been in a foot of snow in september here in Idaho too, fun and challenging...especially when the tent pole snaps while you were out and about

Battle

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I’m more drawn to the country in H more than G and I could hunt either OTC. I have scouted a few areas in H and was never disappointed (pre winter kill disclaimer). I wouldn’t let wilderness scare you from H; normally I see better numbers outside of the wilderness in H, no joke! In the end I think you’d be better off hunting H twice than G once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is good reason G takes the amount of points it does. It’s the best mule deer hunting in all of Wyoming and that’s not up for debate. It’s proven.

Jd259

WKR
There is good reason G takes the amount of points it does. It’s the best mule deer hunting in all of Wyoming and that’s not up for debate. It’s proven.
That is far from true if a guy has the points there are far superior units than g or h.... 101 for example but it takes 15 points....

That is far from true if a guy has the points there are far superior units than g or h.... 101 for example but it takes 15 points....

If you want to talk quantity-
101 had a grand total of 25 permits issued.... pick any unit in Region G and that unit will produce 25+ mature bucks, more quantity in G.

If you want to talk quality-
The Record Books don’t lie. The biggest and best deer in Wyoming are killed in G every year.

The thing that everyone doesn’t understand about Wyoming.... those draw units were only taken out of General Season to keep hunters from wiping out the buck numbers. If units in G were managed like 101 (thank god it isn’t) it would produce the greatest deer in the world.

G has a bunch of places you can get off the trail into remote basins. H outside the wilderness is much more difficult in that respect.

Unless guys are strategic-point creep is going crazy in region g and h. There are many good bucks that come out of other regions in Wyoming that are much easier to draw.

If you’re getting in the game now, it’s going to be a loooong time before you draw region g and h and you could hunt other regions multiple times in the meantime.

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider

If that's your perspective. There's a reason 101 takes so many pts. 101 has easy access, allows hunting to the end of October, is near a large people population and deer densities aren't that great throughout the entire area. Any mule deer area that can be hunted to the end of October is harder to draw....and it may not be because there are bigger deer, its because they're easier to hunt, pre rut activity and/or deer are migrating. When I was a kid, 101 was a general area. Now its been a LQ area for many many years under strict control and there's not B&C deer being pulled out of there every year like Region G. There's usually a good bunch 140 to 160 heavy horned bucks but many don't get bigger than that. It doesn't compare to the bucks growing in Region G every year. People are willing to sit on all their pref. points for a chance at a late October hunt that is easy to access. When we could still hunt Region G to the end of October when I was in high school, we didn't even give 101 a thought and we lived 30 miles from it. No, we'd drive 2.5 hours up to Cokeville for a reason.

Jd259

WKR
If that's your perspective. There's a reason 101 takes so many pts. 101 has easy access, allows hunting to the end of October, is near a large people population and deer densities aren't that great throughout the entire area. Any mule deer area that can be hunted to the end of October is harder to draw....and it may not be because there are bigger deer, its because they're easier to hunt, pre rut activity and/or deer are migrating. When I was a kid, 101 was a general area. Now its been a LQ area for many many years under strict control and there's not B&C deer being pulled out of there every year like Region G. There's usually a good bunch 140 to 160 heavy horned bucks but many don't get bigger than that. It doesn't compare to the bucks growing in Region G every year. People are willing to sit on all their pref. points for a chance at a late October hunt that is easy to access. When we could still hunt Region G to the end of October when I was in high school, we didn't even give 101 a thought and we lived 30 miles from it. No, we'd drive 2.5 hours up to Cokeville for a reason.
Yeah I agree that it’s popular because of the easy access and the later season but if you research that unit a bit there’s a lot of articles about it that say it’s probably the best unit around to kill a 180+ buck but don’t get me wrong I know good and well there’s much bigger deer hitting the ground in g (and h for that matter) but that’s a totally different hunt it’s a lot harder to kill a big buck in g just because of the terrain and style of hunting required to kill a big buck up in that country and there are more big bucks killed in g because there’s a lot more hunters in the area

KHNC

WKR
Why? you would have had to be living under a rock for the last 20 years to not know that those two regions are the best in Wyoming when it comes to a good back country early hunt....
Because rokslide has 2 million members.