Wyoming region H or G?

Breeves1

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy and I are planning out future hunts. We are wanting to mule deer hunt Wyoming at some point in the future. At this point we only have 1 pt. We are starting the research though so that we can somewhat plan out the next ten years or so. My question is would it be worth saving out for region G or is region H just as good of an option for a substantially less waiting period? We can hunt region H twice per once in G but in H we will not be able to access the wilderness as we are out of staters. Another option would be hold out for a limited entry tag as well. I’m leaning toward G but H is very intriguing as well. Let me know your opinions. Thanks everyone.

KGParker

FNG
Hunt H....great hunting. Just stay out of the Wilderness area....plenty of others places to go in that region.
G takes too long to draw and will only get worse.

OP
Breeves1

Breeves1

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the responses so far. I appreciate everyone’s input.

Jd259

WKR
I don’t agree with that at all I’ve killed bombers in h and it’s literally the same country just more “wilderness” I have two buddies that live in g and they hunt their tag every year in h and have killed multiple 200+ deer the only difference is the wilderness which cuts a lot of land out for the non res...

One of the most knowledgeable guys on the area—Brian Latturner from Monster Muleys—has spent gobs of time in Western Wyoming. Do some digging and you’ll get his idea of reasonable expectations for g and h. There is a relatively significant difference he’s found.

Jd259

WKR
Yeah I’m not a scientist just a guy that’s killed some big bucks up there and spent time in both and have good friends that live in thayne and Afton that have killed giant bucks and they keep huntin h for some reason but to each their own point everyone to g to keep the point creep down in h👍

NICKJ

WKR
What about grizzlies in H? Heard you are more likely to run into one there.

Jd259

WKR
Yeah there definitely are grizz in h but most are north of the river closer to Yellowstone there’s still plenty of h where you don’t have to worry about them

4ester

WKR
One of the most knowledgeable guys on the area—Brian Latturner from Monster Muleys—has spent gobs of time in Western Wyoming. Do some digging and you’ll get his idea of reasonable expectations for g and h. There is a relatively significant difference he’s found.

That’s funny because I’ve seen him in both.

A lot of guys really don’t care for him selling off gps coordinates of deer. In fact I’m sure he gets more flat tires then the average hunter based on how the locals feel about him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s funny because I’ve seen him in both.

A lot of guys really don’t care for him selling off gps coordinates of deer. In fact I’m sure he gets more flat tires then the average hunter based on how the locals feel about him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah he hunts both. That’s why he’s one of the better sources of quality in the units based on his vast experience there.

Not contesting that there are some frustrating elements of his business model.

Jd259

WKR
My question to you is are you hunting the wilderness??? that is going to make a huge difference for the non res who isn't interested in hunting with a baby sitter.
No I don’t hunt wilderness and neither do my friends that are up there we hunted together this year (I had an elk tag) and we never set foot anywhere near wilderness and we were very successful on both deer and elk tags...

Numbers don’t lie. Heck yeah there are big bucks in H. But there’s a reason it takes more points to draw G plain and simple.

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be hunting deer in one of those two regions in the next 1-3 years. If I decide to go next year it will be H since I have enough points to pull a tag. If I decide I want to do other hunts instead for a couple of years and can draw G I will. As a novice mule deer hunter I won't be holding out for 190+ + bucks so I figure I would enjoy either area.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't hunted either unit so you probably shouldn't listen to me. I also probably shouldn't be commenting...

Jd259

WKR
Numbers don’t lie. Heck yeah there are big bucks in H. But there’s a reason it takes more points to draw G plain and simple.
Agreed but the reason all the non res put in for g is because they think h is nothing but wilderness and grizz which is fine with me as long as I can keep drawing h every 1-2 years im all about g gettin all the attention

Actually I’ve never heard much talk about griz and wilderness. I think it’s all the talk about 200 inchers and pictures like the ones on Rob Wileys website that makes people apply in G. That and people like Meat Eater and the Eastmans.