Wyoming Region R

Upcoming Wyoming Region R deer hunt. Usually hunt the Red Gulch road area but not seeing any deer when years past it was ~50/day. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Need to go high or find another area??? TIA...

I know a large group that hunts there every year and last year was the worst year they’ve had in 15 years. I hunted with them 3 years ago and the 3 deer we had tested by fish and game all came back positive for cwd. I think numbers are just down all over that area.

OP
B
I know a large group that hunts there every year and last year was the worst year they’ve had in 15 years. I hunted with them 3 years ago and the 3 deer we had tested by fish and game all came back positive for cwd. I think numbers are just down all over that area.
Thanks for the reply Battletoad. That doesn't sound good....

Did you end up tagging out? I live in the area, but Battletoad is right - lots of cwd in past couple years, only getting worse

rbloom761

FNG
We put in for the region R tag this year, was the hunting any better in 2022? Has anybody hunted the areas north in region R? Thanks for any info.

wytx

WKR
We put in for the region R tag this year, was the hunting any better in 2022? Has anybody hunted the areas north in region R? Thanks for any info.
Might should have waited until we hear how populations are fairly this winter, you can modify your app though.

rbloom761

FNG
I am thinking about adjusting my application to another area. The other areas I hunted in Y, C, and B were private ranches that have all gone to outfitters now. I saw that someone said CWD is increasing in prevalence in region R, is that true? I thought I had this year all figured out, but now I'm not sure.

I am thinking about adjusting my application to another area. The other areas I hunted in Y, C, and B were private ranches that have all gone to outfitters now. I saw that someone said CWD is increasing in prevalence in region R, is that true? I thought I had this year all figured out, but now I'm not sure
I hunted R for a couple seasons . It’s pretty crowded but my group always filled our tags . Lots of guys who have hunted it for years say the quality of bucks is going downhill . One of my buddies bucks did test positive for cwd

Hunted the south side of R with a friend last year, Its a tough area to connect the dots on a mature mule deer. lots of 2-3 year old bucks.