Wyoming residents want first chance at leftover big game tags

bsnedeker

WKR
Serious question:
Why are the "coveted cow/calf tags" in the leftover draw?
Were they not coveted in the first draw?
I can't speak for Wyoming, but here in Montana you are only allowed to enter 1 choice for a B tag in the draw, even though you can have 2 B tags total. Ideally we should be able to apply for two B tags and enter first, second, and third choice on each. At that point anything leftover can be fair game to everyone.

That's how I would like to see it work anyway.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

I hope they do this in Montana a well. The leftover draw is a back door NRs are using to get around the 90-10 tag allocation we have for everything else.

Then maybe the states should look at rearranging the available hunts and give more "leftover" hunt codes instead to the NR's so there aren't any left overs at all.

In NM, the leftover's are there for a reason. Much less desirable hunts and only those "desperate" to go hunting buy them up. And, most of those are youth tags anyway, so the article behind the petition does a very good job of persuading based on half-truths...

bsnedeker

WKR
Then maybe the states should look at rearranging the available hunts and give more "leftover" hunt codes instead to the NR's so there aren't any left overs at all.

In NM, the leftover's are there for a reason. Much less desirable hunts and only those "desperate" to go hunting buy them up. And, most of those are youth tags anyway, so the article behind the petition does a very good job of persuading based on half-truths...
I agree, see my post above about how I'd like the system to work. That would ensure leftover tags are truly unwanted tags.

BuzzH

WKR
Residents are talking about this more all the time. Many feel the 80% initial allocation reserved for residents should not fall to the nr initial draw before residents get another chance.

It's not taking anything away from the initial nr allocation of 20%.

On another board a good idea was brought up that all 3 nr choices should take preference points in both the initial and leftover draws. That would really help point creep.

bsnedeker

WKR
Why not just put the 90/10 rule on the leftover tags?
That would work also, I'd just prefer to do it all in the draw.

As an example I'd love to get a B tag in the Elkhorns which has pretty low odds. I'd love to be able to put that as my first choice, put region 4 as my second choice, region 5 as my third. Then I can do the same thing with my second B tag choice as well. When the draw is done I should have all my tags and not have to worry about leftovers at all. it's just simpler and cleaner that way in my opinion.

Instead of that I can only put in for the Elkhorns and then hope I can pick up a B tag or two in the leftover. So far hasn't been an issue for me, but if things keep going the way they are I can see a day that it is a problem.

Again, I'm only speaking about Montana so none of this may apply to that situation.

OP
J

JM77

FNG
That would work also, I'd just prefer to do it all in the draw.

As an example I'd love to get a B tag in the Elkhorns which has pretty low odds. I'd love to be able to put that as my first choice, put region 4 as my second choice, region 5 as my third. Then I can do the same thing with my second B tag choice as well. When the draw is done I should have all my tags and not have to worry about leftovers at all. it's just simpler and cleaner that way in my opinion.

Instead of that I can only put in for the Elkhorns and then hope I can pick up a B tag or two in the leftover. So far hasn't been an issue for me, but if things keep going the way they are I can see a day that it is a problem.

Again, I'm only speaking about Montana so none of this may apply to that situation.

The petition is about Wyoming leftover tags.

wapitibob

WKR
It should have been set up initially so both nr and res draw at the same time, with their own quotas, and leftovers go to the leftover draw. Adding the initial res leftovers to the nr side doesn’t work anymore.

Bighorner

WKR
Just to keep all the naysayers guessing. I'm a wyoming resident and I like that there is no point or preference system in the left over draw. I think its nice to have a little slice of equal oppertunity for folks that really do want to hunt and don't care about horns.

Laramie

WKR
It should have been set up initially so both nr and res draw at the same time, with their own quotas, and leftovers go to the leftover draw. Adding the initial res leftovers to the nr side doesn’t work anymore.
I agree but we all know it is just about money. I'm surprised residents haven't made a bigger deal about this years ago. As a non-resident I have no problem applying for a cow tag or doe tag in the initial draw. I happen to find them delicious.

The petition is about Wyoming leftover tags.
Since the petition is about WY, maybe WY residents shouldn't be so picky the first go-round. If they're willing to compete for a leftover, then why aren't they putting in for them the first time?

A nonresident is applying in the first draw to increase their chances to hunt should they strike out in their own state - a very, very common occurrence for many these days. If the hunt wasn't worth it as a leftover, they wouldn't waste their time and money applying for them...

LostArra

WKR
The author of this petition has got plenty of divisive history.
He sued the WGF.
Started a non-profit to become the" Rand Corporation of hunting".
Said the recent Task Force was stacked against residents.

I'm thinking 100/0 is his likely goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: OMB

Bighorner

WKR
The author of this petition has got plenty of divisive history.
He sued the WGF.
Started a non-profit to become the" Rand Corporation of hunting".
Said the recent Task Force was stacked against residents.

I'm thinking 100/0 is his likely goal.

Make no mistake special interests are very well represented on the Task Force, that includes industries that cater to NRs.