Wyoming Rifle Camping/Cold Weather Advice

Getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on my first hunt out west. Both my hunting buddies backed out for this year so I settled on antelope hunting rifle season in Wyoming (oct 15-nov 15) since i figured it would be the easiest introduction to a solo public land hunt.

Grew up in Texas and live in NW Arkansas so cold weather camping and the weather that time a year in Wyoming has me a little concerned. Was planning on camping in a 3 person tent (marmot tungsten) and already have a 0 degree down bag.

what advice can you give me keeping myself out of trouble. Was looking at some units that I can draw without any points in the northeast of the state. Mostly worried about getting snowed in, if I should plan on staying in a tent or just sleeping in the truck, ect.

NICKJ

WKR
No advice on the camping aspect but double check the amount of public land on those units.

rbljack

WKR
Sounds like you already have a warm bag. Next item id be looking at is a warm comfortable pad. Whether you sleep at the truck or in a tent....you will probably want it for warmth and comfort.

mcseal2

WKR
I'd get a warm pad as was mentioned. I have a Thermarest X therm that I use up there. With it and my 20 degree Kifaru slickbag I've slept down to 0 degrees comfortably. If I'm camping at or near the truck I like to have a cot and a Mr Buddy heater or the wood stove for the tipi. A lot of times we just run the Mr Buddy for 15 minutes before getting dressed in the morning and 15 minutes before taking clothes off to go to bed, it makes it more comfortable without a ton of condensation that way.

For snow only advice I can give is watch the weather and have chains for your truck. On the truck side I also like to have a 12V air compressor, tire plug kit, jumper pack, and serpentine belt. There is only so much self-repair in the field you can do on these newer trucks (probably why I only have 1 vehicle newer than 1998), but those items are worth having to me. If we are worried about snow or mud we will leave the truck at a place with gravel or other decent road and haul camp in with the UTV. Antelope hunting we have not needed the UTV.

After the first weekend where we hunted we saw very few other hunters. That first weekend was a zoo with people just filling the freezer along the road. Next time I will plan my hunt to start after that first week of season. We scouted a couple days ahead of the opener and had 2 nice goats we had found scouting down by 10am, but we saw better ones in more remote areas later in the hunt.

ATL-Kyle

FNG
Welcome to the forum. My first Western hunt was last year and just so happened to be antelope in Wyoming. Coming all the way from Georgia, I couldn't break the bank on gear so most of what I have is from Academy/Bass Pro. Sounds like you'll be just fine with the bag you have. However, I'll echo the need for a sleeping pad - I have a thin foam cell pad and use an inflatable on top of that. Haven't had any trouble staying warm.

If I could've changed one thing about my hunt though, I would've bought a camper shell for the back of my truck. Having never been to Wyoming, my girlfriend and I were not at all prepared for the wind. The only thing keeping our tent from blowing away was us and that deafening noise at night quickly got old. I assumed we could find places to get out of the wind but it was so flat, it was pretty much impossible. We ended up sleeping in the front seats after the first night. If it's just you, laying across the back seat is a good option though.

That time of year you could get just about anything from nice weather to snow and rain but would expect that late in the season you are going to run into snow. An since nobody mentioned it yet I figure I better - whatever tent you bet make sure it can stand up to the wind you will most surly have - it does get windy in Wyoming:)

Good luck to you on your hunt.

OP
M
I'd get a warm pad as was mentioned. I have a Thermarest X therm that I use up there. With it and my 20 degree Kifaru slickbag I've slept down to 0 degrees comfortably. If I'm camping at or near the truck I like to have a cot and a Mr Buddy heater or the wood stove for the tipi. A lot of times we just run the Mr Buddy for 15 minutes before getting dressed in the morning and 15 minutes before taking clothes off to go to bed, it makes it more comfortable without a ton of condensation that way.

For snow only advice I can give is watch the weather and have chains for your truck. On the truck side I also like to have a 12V air compressor, tire plug kit, jumper pack, and serpentine belt. There is only so much self-repair in the field you can do on these newer trucks (probably why I only have 1 vehicle newer than 1998), but those items are worth having to me. If we are worried about snow or mud we will leave the truck at a place with gravel or other decent road and haul camp in with the UTV. Antelope hunting we have not needed the UTV.

After the first weekend where we hunted we saw very few other hunters. That first weekend was a zoo with people just filling the freezer along the road. Next time I will plan my hunt to start after that first week of season. We scouted a couple days ahead of the opener and had 2 nice goats we had found scouting down by 10am, but we saw better ones in more remote areas later in the hunt.
Thanks for all the good info. I didn’t think about having a cot or heater for the tent. Also great info on some of the repair items to have handy for the truck.

Would there be any need to hike in and camp away from the truck during a pronghorn hunt (other than for road conditions)? I know a lot of people will be making a stalk off the road once spotting an animal, but is there any advantage to camping a mile or two in or would I be putting myself at a disadvantage due to being locked into one general area and being far away from the truck?

OP
M
Welcome to the forum. My first Western hunt was last year and just so happened to be antelope in Wyoming. Coming all the way from Georgia, I couldn't break the bank on gear so most of what I have is from Academy/Bass Pro. Sounds like you'll be just fine with the bag you have. However, I'll echo the need for a sleeping pad - I have a thin foam cell pad and use an inflatable on top of that. Haven't had any trouble staying warm.

If I could've changed one thing about my hunt though, I would've bought a camper shell for the back of my truck. Having never been to Wyoming, my girlfriend and I were not at all prepared for the wind. The only thing keeping our tent from blowing away was us and that deafening noise at night quickly got old. I assumed we could find places to get out of the wind but it was so flat, it was pretty much impossible. We ended up sleeping in the front seats after the first night. If it's just you, laying across the back seat is a good option though.

i have heard about the wind there, which had me a little worried about running a tent if there isnt much to break the wind.

i was actually planning on laying across many back seat today to see if that’s an option. I’m about 5’10” so it might be doable.

OP
M
That time of year you could get just about anything from nice weather to snow and rain but would expect that late in the season you are going to run into snow. An since nobody mentioned it yet I figure I better - whatever tent you bet make sure it can stand up to the wind you will most surly have - it does get windy in Wyoming:)

Good luck to you on your hunt.
is there something specific I should look for to tell of my tent will stand up to the wind without getting out there and testing it?

i have a marmot tungsten 3p,has a rain fly with guy line attachments. If I guy that out appropriately should I be fine? It seems like it is somewhat aerodynamic, and from a quality brand, but I have never ran it in Wyoming winds. I would obviously want to find a natural wind break or use a truck to break the wind if I’m close.

worst case I could always stay in the truck.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
If you are setting a camp and have your truck, a mr. heater inside the tent is at great addition at night and when putting the boots on in the morning. Ditto what everyone said about extra gear for your truck. Also if it rains, you probably won't be driving trails in a truck. The mud there is something from a nightmare. Weather is wild. During a 6 days hunt I it went from 78 degrees, to 40-50 mph winds with sleet, to snow on the last day.

Find a cheap hotel and go back to town everynight and sleep in a warm bed. Antelope run around all day...and in the northeast part of the state not a lot of big chunks on land you can go in miles and camp. My .02 cents. Good Luck!

Take this man’s advice - if hunting is good you’ll be done quicker than you’d like. Plenty of options for $50 stays and a good night of rest will get you set up for a long day. Much different than hunting deer in that’ll you’ll have more windshield time than hiking. Being flexible is a huge help too so setting up camp could slow you down. I’d focus more on getting trigger time.

wytx

WKR
With season dates like that for the area make sure the pronghorn will be migrating in to the area and not out by late Oct. and into Nov.
Nov. hunting would be large herds and lots of eyes. Horns start dropping in Nov and can be pulled off the head while moving them around, just e careful of that , doesn't hurt the buck for scoring but can be an issue if you're lifting by the horns and they suddenly come off.
Our wind will beat down a cheap tent, a bed cap or topper as mentioned is great for sleeping in the truck. You can rent them in Colorado or borrow one.

Fatcamp

WKR

All of this. Have fun.

Fatcamp

WKR
Find a cheap hotel and go back to town everynight and sleep in a warm bed. Antelope run around all day...and in the northeast part of the state not a lot of big chunks on land you can go in miles and camp. My .02 cents. Good Luck!

Yuck. Why stay in some crappy motel when you can watch the sun rise and set over wild country. Might as well just buy some pork at the local grocery store and play Big Buck Hunter at the bar.

Yuck. Why stay in some crappy motel when you can watch the sun rise and set over wild country. Might as well just buy some pork at the local grocery store and play Big Buck Hunter at the bar.

Great point, though hunting a zero point antelope draw won’t have quite the luster (or camping options for “wild country”) of a backcountry mule deer hunt at 9,500’. I’d still think hard about renting a cabin or cheap hotel if I couldn’t truck camp.

mcseal2

WKR
I have always hunted antelope by spotting from the truck and then stalking. Great optics and patience are important. I have not personally seen an advantage to camping far from a road for antelope. The big ones are rare, I always want to be mobile and look over a lot of them to find one I want to focus on.

Fatcamp

WKR
Great point, though hunting a zero point antelope draw won’t have quite the luster (or camping options for “wild country”) of a backcountry mule deer hunt at 9,500’. I’d still think hard about renting a cabin or cheap hotel if I couldn’t truck camp.

Ya, alot to be said for truck camping. I just hate motels. Too many years of travel for work. Rather sleep out away from the pavement and lights. But, I really like sagebrush country, many don't.

Those mountains are just too hard to walk up. :p

There is a time and place to camp in wild country and NE WY for antelope is not it. You can camp but when ur packed in a little BLM posted stamp, cant camp on state land in WY, asshole to elbow with ever other tag holder in the unit the wild country thing goes out the window. I would have agreed with you before I went last year but my buddy in Gillete talked some sense into me when I got there.

My point no sense running out and buying $300-$400 worth a gear for hunt that will be over by noon on opening day..noon the next day if your somewhat picky. Take what whitetail gear you have and go hunt. It was 28ish and 2 inches of snow on the ground opening day last year...

Also take a fishing pole, find some sites to see in case you find yourself with time on your hands.

Fatcamp

WKR
There is a time and place to camp in wild country and NE WY for antelope is not it. You can camp but when ur packed in a little BLM posted stamp, cant camp on state land in WY, asshole to elbow with ever other tag holder in the unit the wild country thing goes out the window. I would have agreed with you before I went last year but my buddy in Gillete talked some sense into me when I got there.

My point no sense running out and buying $300-$400 worth a gear for hunt that will be over by noon on opening day..noon the next day if your somewhat picky. Take what whitetail gear you have and go hunt. It was 28ish and 2 inches of snow on the ground opening day last year...

Also take a fishing pole, find some sites to see in case you find yourself with time on your hands.

I camp all over Western South Dakota and Eastern Wyoming. Totally disagree.

Constantly driving back to some shitty motel sounds lame to me.