Wyoming Rifle Camping/Cold Weather Advice

If you've got where you are hunting and that there is enough access figured out I'd say your main concerns would be roads and wind. If rain/snow is forecasted I would beat feet out of there unless you're camped next to pavement. Wind will always be a factor unless you really luck out with weather. All but the best 4 season tents will get beat down by a good blow. A solid windbreak or your vehicle are definitely smart moves.

Not sure if this is what you meant or not, but the truck can make a decent windbreak for your tent in a pinch.

Find a cheap hotel and go back to town everynight and sleep in a warm bed. Antelope run around all day...and in the northeast part of the state not a lot of big chunks on land you can go in miles and camp. My .02 cents. Good Luck!

We did just that in 22. But there were also some cool camp spots if I go back I will throw up my wall tent just cause I like doing that and saving some scratch. We stayed in Buffallo.. Love that town

JMDavies

WKR
Ive antelope hunted the NE area of Wyoming for the last 5 years. In my opinion, the NE Wyoming public hunting areas aren't big enough to camp. The area I hunt shows a lot of public ground but half of it isn't good habitat for antelope. The largest huntable area in our zone is about 1x3 miles. I'd get a hotel or camp at your truck and stay mobile.

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
Ive antelope hunted the NE area of Wyoming for the last 5 years. In my opinion, the NE Wyoming public hunting areas aren't big enough to camp. The area I hunt shows a lot of public ground but half of it isn't good habitat for antelope. The largest huntable area in our zone is about 1x3 miles. I'd get a hotel or camp at your truck and stay mobile.
As a Wyoming native this is so far from accurate. Wyoming is 56% public land, MUCH of that is prime antelope habit (50% of the state). Of course good campsites are timbered, and no antelope don't live in the timber. Common sense. Almost any good goat hunting spot isn't going to be the ideal camp site, but that's the plains for you.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

JMDavies

WKR
As a Wyoming native this is so far from accurate. Wyoming is 56% public land, MUCH of that is prime antelope habit (50% of the state). Of course good campsites are timbered, and no antelope don't live in the timber. Common sense. Almost any good goat hunting spot isn't going to be the ideal camp site, but that's the plains for you.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
My post was referencing the NE and the zone I've been hunting. I want commenting on Wyoming public land in general.

Delhi_Kid

FNG
My childhood buddies and I have hunted Wyoming for two years now. We travel a couple of states to get to Wyoming, so we try to keep our spending low. We usually get a motel on our way home from our hunt, so go home smelling half decent. This last year, we hunted Notrona 73 and decided to get a room for the night in Casper... MISTAKE! A stinky ashtray smelling room put us $125 back!
We each have a single person ALPS Mountaineering tent (it has a vestibule, rain fly, and guy lines. It can be tricky to set up during the dark and windy... but appreciate nature for what it is... an adventure!). We have never had any issues with the Wyoming wind. Make sure you park your truck blocking the North winds. I have a military surplus self inflating mat, and a yoga mat that I lay my mummy sleeping back on.
We take pre packaged frozen bacon, cubed chicken, cubed tri tip steaks, raw fruit and veggies( nothing like eating a pear on top of a ridge glassing prairies). Take a big blue 5 gallon jug of water, just in case, and carry a refillable water bottle with you. We also carry some Jameson to recant the day happenings while playing some music and having some type of meat on a propane skillet grill.
Good luck, and maybe we'll see you out there on'em dirt roads man... almost forgot... you can't camp on state land! We got a friendly warning from fish and game our first year out there.
Take care!

Delhi_Kid

FNG
Also planning my first diy antelope hunt in Wyoming this fall. Found a decent ranch with trespass fee to hunt. Wish me luck!
You'll get hooked! It's awesome hiking berms, washes and ridges. Weather can get bipolar though. So take layers. Make sure you pack a raincoat/ cold weather coat in your backpack. Two years ago we went out on our hike, and about two miles in we could see these twirling winds tumbling towards us... it was a heavy wet fog! That thing was wet and cold...
Stay healthy!

Yep, but its totally worth it. Did it on a whim 3 years ago and can't imagine not going every year now.
We've already got our application in. We applied for unit 25 as our first choice and with 1 pref pt each, we should draw. We'll be freelancing with a Garmin and an onx chip. My son chose this trip for his graduation gift. If anyone has firsthand experience with this unit, I would be happy to listen to any pointers to try to get him (& me) our first antelopes.

Delhi_Kid

FNG
We've already got our application in. We applied for unit 25 as our first choice and with 1 pref pt each, we should draw. We'll be freelancing with a Garmin and an onx chip. My son chose this trip for his graduation gift. If anyone has firsthand experience with this unit, I would be happy to listen to any pointers to try to get him (& me) our first antelopes.

Delhi_Kid

FNG
Howdy. My buddy and I hunted 73 and 22, and it seems like a pattern, that antelope do not like choppy terrain: ravines, steep canyons, cliffs. Look for flat and rolling hills. Do get out of your truck every 10-15 mins and glass. Do some walking, and make sure you carry your rifle, tag and water, because we have been caught looking at a nice group of antelope with nothing but our binos in hand. Don't wast your time on broken up choppy country. It's a small unit, so make sure to drop waypoints from home so you can hit the trails running.
Good luck! 6 more days for Wyoming results! I'm in the pool as well with three points.
Take care.

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
Prepare for terrible roads. Gumbo if warm and snow if not. In the case of snow, don't forget that snow + wind in WY lope country can equal drifts. Bring chains, shovels, a tow rope, and a handyman jack.

On accommodations, know that WY weather has no problem killing a 3-season tent in October. I tested the snow gods for many years before learning my lesson. Guyed to the max, my REI Kingdom 6 didn't stand a chance. Made for rough quarters the the following four days.
DSC00094.JPG
If you have a purdy spot in mind, by all means pitch a tent. Just know it can get rough. No shame either in grabbing a motel room for a speedgoat hunt. Hot showers and cheeseburgers are always nice.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with a lot said in here. Be sure to have a good pad. For the hotel part, I'd try to budget in one night in a hotel at least if you need a reset or if the weather goes south. But from a budget standpoint, tent camping is going to be a great option. My concern is it can get dang cold especially if it snows and gets everything wet. Going with a tent option that you can put a cot and stove in could be a very very nice touch on a hunt like that. At least a cot. You won't need to spike out for antelope, in most situations, so that size and weight of your sleep system won't really matter because you are hunting out of the vehicle. If a stove isn't really an option I would recommend a little buddy heater that will knock the chill off in the mornings.. that time of year can be absolutely miserable if it's that really wet snow and cold.