Wyoming sharptails, huns etc

Pwrhd

FNG
I was planning to pick my dog up from training in northern CO the first week of September and head to northeast Montana to hunt him for five days. My schedule won't allow that now but I could do a 2-3 days in WY. Anyone have any suggestions regarding potential guides to contact or even regional biologists to call? I'm from the southeast and we really don't have wild upland birds to hunt. I wanted to so him work wild birds before raised quail dull his skills.

Any input appreciated. Thanks

Gonna be a field trial dog, or at least FT type?

Sharptail in NE or pay for a week of boarding and Chickens in KS.

OP
P

Pwrhd

FNG
I can't speak to WY, but if you're driving east, sharptail will be open in Nebraska.
East is definitely preferred. Prior plans were northeast Montana, 12 hour drive from pickup point which is the limiting factor. I've put in some calls to WY game and fish to try and help. Any general info in NE would be great. Thanks

OP
P

Pwrhd

FNG
Gonna be a field trial dog, or at least FT type?

Sharptail in NE or pay for a week of boarding and Chickens in KS.
He is a pudelpointer finishing up training for a NAVHDA utility test. He should be ready to go for sharptails. Any info to help in NE would be appreciated.

wytx

WKR
You'll be a short drive to some blue/dusky grouse hunting in the mountain of Southern Wyo.
Wild Chukar over near Thermop.

TSAMP

WKR
I'm assuming you already asked the trainer about areas to hunt nearby or on your way? I'm sure they are a wealth of knowledge.

Otherwise I'd just map my route home and check out onX and make pit stops.

I'd probably hunt 1 state in the direction of home that I planned to return to later in the season to get the most bang for my buck.

OP
P

Pwrhd

FNG
I'm assuming you already asked the trainer about areas to hunt nearby or on your way? I'm sure they are a wealth of knowledge.

Otherwise I'd just map my route home and check out onX and make pit stops.

I'd probably hunt 1 state in the direction of home that I planned to return to later in the season to get the most bang for my buck.
Yes. They actually don't hunt WY. They go up around Plentywood, MT which is what they advised. I was going to be west of there but don't think I can swing it this year. I would only be hunting first week of September after I pick him up. Won't be back out west for birds this year. I actually have never hunted birds in the west which is the reason for my inquiries.

Ryansven

FNG
NE Montana is definitely the place to go for both of those species. Even though it is a long ways it is worth it!

JGood

Lil-Rokslider
The best Sage Grouse hunting is in WY. Good luck!

If youre dedicated to hunting huns and sharpies than just go to montana early. I promise it will be better than WY

MJVAN

FNG
Hunted North Dakota last year , the 1st week of October , for Huns & Sharptails . We did ok , but not great . Definitely would go earlier in September next time .