Wyoming Spring Bear Spot and Stalk

Titan_Bow

WKR
I know Wyoming spring hunting involves a lot of folks baiting, but I'm looking to do some spring spot and stalk, and thought by going Wyoming, I could capitalize on a shorter drive time from Colorado, giving me the opportunity at a few swings at it (opposed to a 15 hour drive to NW Montana). My initial game plan would be dependent on snow and female mortality, but thinking of selecting a few areas in the Medicine Bow and would really like a later season trip out to the Salt River range in the Bridger.
Not looking for spots or anything, but just some general advice and encouragement LOL. Is it even worth messing with the Sierra Madre units? It looks like it would be more difficult to cover large areas with optics here? Never spent much time here, but the family and I have camped a bit on the Snowy side of the Medicine Bow. Plus side would be this is only 3 hours or so from the house, so I could get in multiple trips here in the spring.
I've actually never been to the Bridger forest and that area of Wyoming, so that actually is a big draw for me. Downside is it would be 7 or 8 hours or more to get to hunting spots. My concern here without ever stepping foot here, are the higher basins and avalanche chutes, etc. even accessible before the season shuts down? Finally, how big of an impact does the baiting have on finding bears? Can you still find them up high feeding on fresh grass?
Anyone ever done this style of hunt successfully in either the Sierra Madre or Greys River units? Whats your big take-aways or advice ?

yojo.3

FNG
My bear hunt last year got canceled but is apparently back on this year. Just trying to iron out a few locations, if i have no luck and no sign after a couple days, move on to the next spot is the plan.

dank

FNG
I live pretty close to the snowys and was going to try to get on some bears this spring. I have spent plenty of days up there elk hunting and have never seen a bear. You are right about difficulty to glass up large areas, this has been my biggest frustration with hunting this area. I think I'm just gonna go out with low expectations and see what happens... Spent just a little time in the sierra madre, never seen a bear there either, but at least where I was, seemed like a pretty similar vibe to the snowys.

ericwh

WKR
I live pretty close to the snowys and was going to try to get on some bears this spring. I have spent plenty of days up there elk hunting and have never seen a bear. You are right about difficulty to glass up large areas, this has been my biggest frustration with hunting this area.

Same here. Minus the living part.

aidan_downey

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted the snowies spot and stalk the last few years and lost a bear last year and had a buddy miss a tank. If you know where to go the snowies are great. Took me a few years to get it figured out but I plan on doing a multi day trip this year. There are a bunch of bears in the snowies I have seen tons of sign in just about every terrain/elevation up there. You can definitely do it just takes some investigating on where to go.

Last edited: