Wyoming spring bear tips

Hey all,

I was hoping I could get some pointers on wyoming spring bear hunting. Firstly I am a very new hunter. Getting into later in life (32) since I didn't grow up doing it. Is spring bear doable for a newbie or am I biting off more than I can chew? I am looking at unit 7 in the medicine bow national forest. Specifically around cherry mountain as it's only about 1 1/2 hrs drive from my house. How are the bear in unit 7? I don't plan on registering any bait sites and will be doing primarily spot and stalk. Thanks for everyone's input.

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
Well, its doable, but I wouldn't necessarily expect quick success. If you need to kill an animal year one to feel like your time and energy was worthwile......maybe focus on gaining experience with other species first. Personally though, I love getting out in spring and find bear behavior fascinating!

Being a new hunter, I'd just caution spot and stalk bear hunting is difficult and can really lack in action compared to other species. Lots of dynamic variables go into locating them and they're already a lower density animal on the landscape than deer and elk. You most likely won't see many (any?) bears year one. But if you find enjoyment in the long-term process of becoming a better hunter and gaining knowledge of bear behavior that will pay off over time --- do it!!

OP
WyomingBen
Well, its doable, but I wouldn't necessarily expect quick success. If you need to kill an animal year one to feel like your time and energy was worthwile......maybe focus on gaining experience with other species first. Personally though, I love getting out in spring and find bear behavior fascinating!

Being a new hunter, I'd just caution spot and stalk bear hunting is difficult and can really lack in action compared to other species. Lots of dynamic variables go into locating them and they're already a lower density animal on the landscape than deer and elk. You most likely won't see many (any?) bears year one. But if you find enjoyment in the long-term process of becoming a better hunter and gaining knowledge of bear behavior that will pay off over time --- do it!!
Ya it's definitely more about just getting out in the spring and gaining the experience. Of course a successful hunt would be awesome but I would get just as much satisfaction out of the journey.

smeckert

FNG
Spring bear is my favorite. Getting out after the winter is great, the tags are available, and when you do find them, it is all the more special because you don’t see them every day. That being said, I’ve had plenty of success glassing them up in the green up areas. Avalanche chutes and clearings on slopes are good places to start looking.