Wyoming State land question

WCB

WKR
Got a question on Wyoming State lands. I know you can hunt them and have to be able to legally access them etc. But, how can State land be enrolled in Walk-in access? I understand if the land is in the middle of Walk-in that I would need to follow those rules to access but don't understand how already legally accessible state land can have Walk-in restrictions?

Someone more knowledgeable will chime in, but I believe the local/regional land commissioners can get extra restrictions put on individual parcels. Restrictions like conforming to walk in rules or something like that.

Reactions: WCB
OP
W

WCB

WKR
State land state rules...there is plenty of state land that is not open to hunting...

The piece I am looking at is private with state connected and it is all enrolled as the same Walk-in parcel. So the landowner who enrolls the private land in Walk-in gets kick backs on state land?

wytx

WKR
If the access has been abused in the past the state trust board can close a state parcel to vehicles, it is still open to hunting.
Sometimes just because you could drive into an area doesn't mean you should.
As far as the private landowner getting any thing form G&F for the state access, I wouldn't think so but that is a good question for our Access Yes guy. I'll ask him.

wytx

WKR
According to our local access yes guy their is no payment of funds on the state lands in the walk in area.
The rules for the walk in area will state if the state lands are enrolled in that area, this one is only a state section :

It clearly tells you that state lands are enrolled in the walk in area. I know well why this section is walk in only, it was very abused at some point.

OP
W

WCB

WKR
According to our local access yes guy their is no payment of funds on the state lands in the walk in area.
The rules for the walk in area will state if the state lands are enrolled in that area, this one is only a state section :

It clearly tells you that state lands are enrolled in the walk in area. I know well why this section is walk in only, it was very abused at some point.

That makes sense...the one I am looking at though is connected to and considered the same walk in as private land connected to it. I guess if the state lands were one and the private was another I could wrap my head around it. As I understood state can be walk-in i guess I just never noticed there are state walk ins that are directly connected and labeled as the same walk in as private. So I am assuming by what you stated is that people abused these lands or access to them and it and the best way to solve the problem was to lump them with the connecting Walk-in to enforce those rules.

FYI, for anyone reading I am trying to understand it as there are ton of other options as far as land goes to hunt but it caught my interest with it being included with private walk in. Just wondering if you turn in the landowner part of your tag if you were to kill something on the state land in this walk in or only if on the private piece?

bdan68

WKR
If you got your animal on the state land I'm pretty sure the landowner coupon would NOT go to the landowner.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
I too drop mine in the mailbox.

Some of the land I've hunted in WY I know the biologists work hard with land owners so guys can access state land that couldn't be accessed without walk in access from private ranchers.

We've probably all come across public land surrounded by private land that can't be accessed. Seen a few hunting episodes of guys flying in on helicopters to access land locked public land surrounded by private.

I believe the Great American Outdoors Act in Congress is working to solve some of these easement issues--among the many other things it will do for public land restoration & conservation. Can't wait for it to be passed!