Wyoming Thorofare Elk

OP
RedSnake

RedSnake

FNG
Its not on fire yet, and it hasnt snowed yet..

Bwahahahaha! Thx mntnguide. Just bored and restless down here in this Texas heat.

Already have my bags packed and Oct can’t get here soon enough!

Wanting to hear that the forest hasn’t burned down (or been eat completely by beetles) , that the mountains haven’t fallen into the sea, and that the Griz, wolves, and Yeti haven’t run off all the game!

BIGEYES

FNG
I envy you guys who have spent time or are going into the Thorofare. I thought that I was going to be able to make that trip a few years ago-didn't work out. I had a friend who lived in Thermopolis who always talked about making a trip in there. He never got the chance-gone now. Hope you'll share some experiences. Good luck.

jmez

WKR
It is a great hunt. I went several times years ago. Beautiful country. Great experience.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

mntnguide

WKR
Bwahahahaha! Thx mntnguide. Just bored and restless down here in this Texas heat.

Already have my bags packed and Oct can’t get here soon enough!

Wanting to hear that the forest hasn’t burned down (or been eat completely by beetles) , that the mountains haven’t fallen into the sea, and that the Griz, wolves, and Yeti haven’t run off all the game!
Well you're all good for the most part... the Grizzlies continue to be thick as flies, but that is just part of hunting that country. Depending on which outfitter you are going with, should be a good season. Good year for antler growth with all the moisture we had going into summer

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Well you're all good for the most part... the Grizzlies continue to be thick as flies, but that is just part of hunting that country. Depending on which outfitter you are going with, should be a good season. Good year for antler growth with all the moisture we had going into summer

Sent you a PM

GasMask

FNG
Hello, new to RS here. Came across while researching guides in the Thorofare. Recently had an avid travel hunter tell me that the wolves had decimated the elk in this region; any truth to that, & if so, have they since rebounded?

Also, it’s been on my bucket list to due a true backcountry elk hunt into the WILDerness since childhood. Is this place still good to go? Have a small group of friends/family ready for an adventurous hunt.

Any recommendations for outfitters to use or avoid would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Lyeatman

FNG
I hunted with Lynn last year and would love to connect to see how your hunt was and how everything went. We are hunting next to Lynn next year but may want to get something back on the calendar to go back with him in the future.

OP
RedSnake

RedSnake

FNG
Just got back from a 5 day hunt with Yellowstone Outfitters. Had a great experience. All 8 hunters in our camp had shoot opportunities and 6 bulls were taken with the biggest being a 340ish kind of bull. We saw many, many bulls stacking up along the YNP border. Cold weather and 6-8” of snow got the migration started a bit early. Coldest day was -6*F.

We saw 13+ grizzlies and had some close encounters but guides did a great job keeping us safe. Overall an incredible trip and memorable hunt.

0DE0CDD3-7E98-4BF1-B795-8141C4D4C9E0.jpeg

20EBA7BE-9F54-400C-A341-19E2BD62ACE4.jpeg

2FBA5B69-155A-4AB8-995C-8B9074CE137E.jpeg

E9C97C19-6642-488A-8B01-44B69ABFA6F0.jpeg

ShadeMt

FNG
Thanks for sharing an update on your hunt and the pics. I have been anxiously awaiting for you to post as I am booked with Lynn for 2023. Sounds like you a great experience.

mntnguide

WKR
Congrats on a successful hunt up there with Lynn. Good to hear bulls are stacking up and pushing already as well! I have a late season migration tag so that's good news for me this year

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
How many years ahead do you have to book this hunt And how many points do you need to draw. I tried reaching out to them last year and never got a response back. Also on my bucket list. Probably the only guided hunt I would consider.

mntnguide

WKR
How many years ahead do you have to book this hunt And how many points do you need to draw. I tried reaching out to them last year and never got a response back. Also on my bucket list. Probably the only guided hunt I would consider.

It is a General Tag area so just a couple points for guaranteed draw. I would bet Lynn is booked out a few years, but sometimes openings will happen right after the draws occur. Another outfitter right next to them to consider would be Triangle X Ranch, but they will also be plenty booked due to lots of return clients yearly. Best you can do is get ahold of them after hunting season and get on a list for a spot if you think you will draw and what year.

OP
RedSnake

RedSnake

FNG
@RedSnake any details on the bear encounters?

Also what was a normal day like, get up before dark eat ride horses to glassing spot or what?

Full report on our blog at https://www.redsnake-tactical.com/blogs/news/wyoming-elk-hunt-in-the-thorofare

Hunting was conducted from horseback with two hunters per guide. The days began with a 4:45am wake up, and breakfast was served promptly at 5:00am. We would saddle up at 5:30 and ride about 1 1/2 hours in the dark to the areas where we would hunt for the day — usually setting up on knobs along the valley floor which allowed us to sit and glass ridges, benches, and mountainsides in all directions. Shots ranged from 175 yards to over 600 yards, with 300-400 yards being the norm.

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
I was hunting the Thorofare the week before your hunt with Constant Quest and had much the same experience as you. Had a pretty intense snow storm on the 9th that got the Elk moving out of the park. Ended up taking the bull in my avatar! Was a bucket list hunt and I'll definitely be back in 2-3 years.

PNWGATOR

WKR
What a great hunt! Appreciate you sharing your experience and great write up as well.

OP
RedSnake

RedSnake

FNG
I was hunting the Thorofare the week before your hunt with Constant Quest and had much the same experience as you. Had a pretty intense snow storm on the 9th that got the Elk moving out of the park. Ended up taking the bull in my avatar! Was a bucket list hunt and I'll definitely be back in 2-3 years.

congrats to you!

88man

FNG
Anyone know any good youtube videos of hunts in the Thorofare?? Outfitters who film? other?