Wyoming Tips from a newb

kda082

WKR
Just returned early from a several day public land hunt.

1. Wind always blows. It occasionally slows, but always picks back up. Consider this in picking a camping spot.
2. In planning expenses, double what you think is needed for gas. You will drive a lot and then drive some more.
3. Even if you're sure roads are public, they aren't. Call the county to make sure.
4. Even sketchy internet isn't enough for a love sick teenager.
5. I'm too old for tent camping. Comfort goes a long ways.

Had expected to be gone all this week as well, but sketchy cell coverage and no girlfriend was too much for my teenage son who I planned the trip for. We did get on goats each day, but didn't fire a shot. I'm convinced had we stayed another day or two we would have connected. Great adventure for a couple guys who've never hunted outside KS. Hopefully made a couple good memories for my son, certainly did for me. The road situation was slightly confusing as even had locals say they were public, but hit a lot of "so and so Ranch, No Trespassing". One told me this meant no leaving the road while on the ranch but I turned back as didn't want to risk. I should have called. Saw lots of goats on private, pretty slim on public but still doable. OnX was awesome and worked as expected. I had 10 spots picked, maps all downloaded. Had a Mytopo GMU giant map. Lots of mule deer, every night would pop out from the most minimal cover. I realized if a place looked like great mule deer spot, probably wouldn't see goats. If it looked great for goats, probably still be mulies. Saw does everywhere. Had a great experience other than son losing interest. Thanks all for tips and suggestions. I'll be back. Now it's time for KS whitetails!

Last edited:
Knowing the public/vs private road is critical to hunting WY. You cant always rely on the signs...I saw a private drive sign put up on 2 track in the middle of 3000 acre parcel of BLM.....After about 500 yds up the road ran into a campsite... asked they guy there about the sign...he said "it had worked well keeping folks out for the past 3 days then you came along."
A lot of the counties have maps online with the county maintained roads on them.

from my experience it seems almost every dirt/gravel road by a drive over cattle gate seems to have the no tresspassing signs for a scare tactic. Usually your totally fine to keep driving. but look at maintained roads and save pictures of those maps so you can look back to reassure yourself your good.

OP
kda082

kda082

WKR
i had county maps printed also showing graded roads so thought it was good. First out of state hunt with kid with me I just didn't have the confidence to push ahead. No complaints, just the typical schooling that goes with each hunt season.

wytx

WKR
Wyoming is an open range state. Many times county roads go through private land and when the landowners change along the road they put posted signs at the cattle guard where the change happens. It just shows to stay on the county road and not wander off of it.

zacattack

WKR
Just returned early from a several day public land hunt.

1. Wind always blows. It occasionally slows, but always picks back up. Consider this in picking a camping spot.
2. In planning expenses, double what you think is needed for gas. You will drive a lot and then drive some more.
3. Even if you're sure roads are public, they aren't. Call the county to make sure.
4. Even sketchy internet isn't enough for a love sick teenager.
5. I'm too old for tent camping. Comfort goes a long ways.

Had expected to be gone all this week as well, but sketchy cell coverage and no girlfriend was too much for my teenage son who I planned the trip for. We did get on goats each day, but didn't fire a shot. I'm convinced had we stayed another day or two we would have connected. Great adventure for a couple guys who've never hunted outside KS. Hopefully made a couple good memories for my son, certainly did for me. The road situation was slightly confusing as even had locals say they were public, but hit a lot of "so and so Ranch, No Trespassing". One told me this meant no leaving the road while on the ranch but I turned back as didn't want to risk. I should have called. Saw lots of goats on private, pretty slim on public but still doable. OnX was awesome and worked as expected. I had 10 spots picked, maps all downloaded. Had a Mytopo GMU giant map. Lots of mule deer, every night would pop out from the most minimal cover. I realized if a place looked like great mule deer spot, probably wouldn't see goats. If it looked great for goats, probably still be mulies. Saw does everywhere. Had a great experience other than son losing interest. Thanks all for tips and suggestions. I'll be back. Now it's time for KS whitetails!

Headed out next week, looks like it’s gonna be cold.
This is definitely some good info, I have onx should I also print out some county maps for backup?

OXN939

WKR
Knowing the public/vs private road is critical to hunting WY. You cant always rely on the signs

Absolutely correct. I found this sign posted directly in the middle of a parcel of State of Wyoming public land:

0.jpeg

After passing through public land, the road ended at the private property referred to by the sign. This is why there is no way to close the gate; they cannot legally prevent the public from access. I actually called the guy until he answered, trying to be a courteous hunter. As it turns out, this cost me my chance to fill a tag- there was a group of goats on the WY state land that moved onto private in the hour I was trying to get a hold of him.

Bottom line: private landowners will put signs that say "POSTED NO HUNTING/ TRESPASSING" in the middle of your public land. If you know you're on public, feel free to ignore the hell out of those signs.

JDM57

FNG
Just got back from a week in Wyoming and my experience was the landowners wanted you to take all the antelope you legally could take. We did find the bigger bucks in more remote BLM land but if you wanted a average buck or had doe tags the landowners were very friendly and wanted the antelope off their hay fields.

The WY public/private road situation is definitely tough at times.
I personally know a WY rancher that had an illegal road on his property. The road was made and used by hunters and the previous land owner didn’t really know or care. Once he purchased the land they got the road shut down. Locals went as far as to threaten my buddy.
Funny part was people could still access the public land by walking about 2 miles but were upset since they couldn’t just drive around anymore.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
The WY public/private road situation is definitely tough at times.
I personally know a WY rancher that had an illegal road on his property. The road was made and used by hunters and the previous land owner didn’t really know or care. Once he purchased the land they got the road shut down. Locals went as far as to threaten my buddy.
Funny part was people could still access the public land by walking about 2 miles but were upset since they couldn’t just drive around anymore.
+1
BB.jpg

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
Headed out next week, looks like it’s gonna be cold.
This is definitely some good info, I have onx should I also print out some county maps for backup?

You should do that plus buy the Wyoming Gazeteer when you get there. OnX doesn’t do a good job showing public vs private roads.

Thank you for the learning. I and my one-legged friend (actual one leg person, not a dirty pun) will be out there Oct. 27-31. Hopefully a landowner will let us take a mediocre buck for free or a small trespass fee.

A couple of crippled old vets, so we'll look pretty pitiful. Hopefully that will work in our favor. :giggle:

zacattack

WKR
This is probably a dumb question but from someone new to this type of hunting maybe not. Do I need to worry about critters (especially bears) getting into my meat coolers when I’m camped out over night? Planning on keeping them in the back of my truck, and was just going to put a tie down strap around them to keep the lids on. I’m hunting unit 32 right south of Casper.

stonewall

WKR
This is probably a dumb question but from someone new to this type of hunting maybe not. Do I need to worry about critters (especially bears) getting into my meat coolers when I’m camped out over night? Planning on keeping them in the back of my truck, and was just going to put a tie down strap around them to keep the lids on. I’m hunting unit 32 right south of Casper.
I’ve never had any issue fwiw (few antelope hunts now)

Go Pokes

Lil-Rokslider
No critters to worry about. Just shot mine in 32 yesterday. Good Luck