Wyoming Trip

Bulldawg

WKR
Well this year I made my annual trip to Wyoming but with a different crew than usual. Took Thursday off work to get up there on the second day of the season and drove around for a while til we found a spot where there weren't a whole ton of people. Found a couple does and decided to try and take one or two out if we could.. Well we missed, both of us. So now we go out and try to find some more and finally find a herd in a area that was easily approachable.. As we crawl up to a hill top we get eyes on the herd buck pushing a smaller buck.. We both look at him and each other and immediately know this is definitely a shooter. We crawl to the top and I get my gun setup as we thought we might get a shot he goes and beds back down with his does. We just stay put and talk about if one guy should walk up and around to drop down and try to get a shot on the buck, about that time we noticed the smaller buck is going back to the herd for some more. As that happens the big buck jumps up and starts running towards the little buck. I grab my range finder and start getting ranges.. He gets to 350 and doesn't get any closer so I go ahead and dial the rifle in and get ready.. He stops broadside and rubs his head on a bush and I let em have it and he drops. Biggest buck to date by far.

Well the rest of the day we couldn't find a shooter buck and we didn't try to stalk any does.

Friday I woke up at 2:30 loaded the truck once again but this time it was my girlfriends turn to be a shooter. We show up and as soon as we cross the unit boundary we see some animals. Bucks running single does through the field we get out and get close and notice a doe running straight for us I get her on the gun and me on the range finder. Well when she stopped at 125 yards I told her to let her have it and did she! Dropped her in her tracks for her first antelope. Perfect, 7:20 in the morning and we are on the board. Once we get to that doe and celebrate I notice another go down right behind a hill about 400 yards away so decided to try and get on that one as well. We get up to the hill and bump the doe a little bit but she only runs to 175 yards before stopping and once again she drops the hammer on her bam 20 minutes into the hunt 2 down incredible. On the walk up to this one a buck runs a doe up over the hill to us so I grab the rifle since she is tagged out on does. We look over the buck and decide he's not what we're looking for. So I go ahead and drop the hammer down on that doe. 25 minutes 3 antelope. We check on the does and headed back to the truck to get some packs and I decided to go look at that buck one more time. Well once over the hill we see 4 bucks, and one we decided was a shooter. We set up range em and she shoots but hits high. Buck goes down but gets up and starts walking off. And it turns out in the confusion of early morning and chasin all sorts of antelope I forgot to grab my other thing of shells so we are out of ammo.. So we have to watch him walk off. I know he's hurt and the truck is only half a mile away so I run back grab ammo packs and gloves as it was cold and and we hadn't anticipated being gone so long. Upon my return my girlfriend shows me where he went so we start walking.. He has made it a mile and we close the distance to 200 yards. Get em stopped and she hammers him and drops him where he stood. 1.5 hours into our hunt and we are done with 4 antelope on the ground. My girlfriend was spoiled for her first rifle antelope hunt tagging out and killing her first three in 1.5 hours. Three day weekend planned out and we were headed home early. Fantastic hunt always a good time and I killed a giant in a unit that is not known for big pronghorn (no point draw)

First antelope

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412556471.925812.jpg

Tagged out

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412556551.232196.jpg

My biggun green scored him at 81 3/8 a trophy by almost anyone's standards

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412556913.096285.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412556622.039037.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412556622.039037.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 101

Mark

WKR
Wow. That's a busy morning! I spent more time than that lust trying to find antelope Friday. Those are both nice bucks. Well done on a quick hunt. Congratulations to you guys.