Wyoming trophy units

ive seen some bigger antelope 70-80 inch in 0-1 point units in NE wyoming. none have ever been huge like the ones 85+ ive seen in AZ unit 10.

Rich M

WKR
Antelope hunting is fun. I'm building a few points to do a no combat style hunt, not too worried about inches, just not having some dude set up 400 yards down from me.

archp625

WKR
All these guys/gals are right. Any unit can produce a Booner. If that is what you are after i would prescout like crazy in a unit that has a ton of public months or weeks before your hunt. Then I would show up at least a day before to make sure the buck you found is still in the area, then go from there.

OP
Dexter Grayson
All these guys/gals are right. Any unit can produce a Booner. If that is what you are after i would prescout like crazy in a unit that has a ton of public months or weeks before your hunt. Then I would show up at least a day before to make sure the buck you found is still in the area, then go from there.

Living in AK kinda makes scouting pretty tough!

Rackmastr

WKR
Always interesting making choices on 'trophy' units. I'm sitting on 5 points and my wife is at 13 points for Wyoming. At times I've considered blending our points and hunting on a 9, but with her holding 13 points we may draw her in a 'blue chip' type Red Desert unit, only given that it will likely be only chance we'll ever have to hunt in a zone like that. I'd imagine regardless of being in one of the 'best' units in the state, we'll likely still be hard pressed to find a big giant, and will require a few solid days of scouting to see what we can turn up.

We are aiming on 2020 hunt so I'd imagine the biggest factor will be the winter in our decision. Sure looked like 2019 was a heck of a year to draw though!

critrgitr

Lil-Rokslider
The best option you have coming from Alaska is to just pick a unit that you’ll have a good chance of drawing and go hunt. As everyone said above, the majority of units in WY can produce a booner any given year. Yes, in theory the harder to draw units will have more booners available but is it worth chasing a hunt you may never draw instead of going and having a fun hunt?

Your #1 biggest challenge will be to actually correctly field judge the buck your looking at. Most guys will get trigger happy and shoot a mid 70’s buck thinking he’s a giant. That’s still a very respectable buck but not the booner they thought it was. The more bucks you look at the better off you’ll be in knowing what one is best. They are extremely difficult to accurately field juege. I would highly recommend watching Pronghorn Guide Services DVDs. Those guys know antelope! Big antelope bucks can have significantly bigger heads and bodies than average bucks making field judging even more difficult as everything is proportional. Just remember mass is king when it comes to antelope! Don’t get too hung up on score Or there’s a good chance you’ll be disappointed when you pull out the tape measure. Find the buck you think will look best on the wall and kill him.

My wife and I have been buying points for the past 4 years. I also become overwhelmed with which area(s) to target. I think waiting for the right year/timing makes for a hunt that will be more fun.