Wyoming Type 6 questions (special archery)

kpk

WKR
I'm not sure I'm understanding this special archery season correctly. It looks like if we drew a type 6, we could buy the special archery license for an additional $72 to hunt the early archery season?

Would doing the special archery be a more enjoyable or possibly higher success rate hunt rather than waiting for general rifle?

Feel free to PM rather than post.

Last edited:
If you're a proficient archery elk hunter, I think it'd be pretty enjoyable to go with a bow and stick a cow on day 2 and spend a couple days fishing or relaxing at camp. That sounds pretty damn fun honestly. Probably less folk than rifle season, better weather, etc.

Reactions: kpk

Laramie

WKR
We all struck out this year drawing tags and are looking at backup options. I've been looking at the units that are 33-37 type 6 tags as it looks like there may be a decent chance to draw one in the leftover draw (going off last years results).

I'm not sure I'm understanding this special archery season correctly. It looks like if we drew a type 6 leftover, we could buy the special archery license for an additional $72 to hunt the early archery season?

Would doing the special archery be a more enjoyable or possibly higher success rate hunt rather than waiting for general rifle?

Feel free to PM rather than post.
Posting this thread hurt your draw odds unfortunately... That said, it would be a fun hunt if you do draw but expect some company. Cow elk with a bow is still a very challenging hunt.

OP
kpk

kpk

WKR
Posting this thread hurt your draw odds unfortunately... That said, it would be a fun hunt if you do draw but expect some company. Cow elk with a bow is still a very challenging hunt.

I tried to word it in a way that wouldn't show in search results or give much away.

I've now edited it heavily for the future.

I'm a Wy resident so I could be off on this. When you look at your tag it will list the dates for archery (with required archery tag) and dates for rifle. If you hold the tag you can add on archery and do either season. Double check all this, but that's how it works for the tags I've held in Wy.

A lot of those areas described above have archery hunters(9tags)there around Sept 1. Some of the (6 tags )cow/calf with archery usually around Sept 15th and then (6 tag)cow calf rifle in early October. Followed up with general season. Areas get pounded as the season progresses. Some of it is timing with which season you are there. Some of these dates may have changed. Typically busy areas, but better than going to work . Good luck