Wyoming Unit 102 Antelope information

Shyboomer

FNG
My dad and I put in for a non-resident Wyoming Unit 102 Antelope hunt. We drew the tags (100% draw buck tag and two doe tags each) I have done quite a bit of reading and I know that much of the land is private and a lot of public land is landlocked. I will call the area biologist in a few weeks and search out any information from them. Can anyone give me any direction on accessible areas of the unit on public land? This trip will be a once in a lifetime shot for my dad so I want to gather as much info as I can before heading over.

The Bighorn Mts. make up a large part of the western side of the unit. Are there antelope hunting opportunities (as well as accessibility) in the foothills? Anyone have any directions (road systems) they would be willing to give?

Any other directional advice for the unit for walk in public access?

Would bringing a 4 wheeler be of assistance to get into areas?

Are there any landowners that publicly list their land as accessible?

Thanks in advance

MasonfromWi

Lil-Rokslider
Last year the pressure in 102 was extreme on the first couple days of rifle season. It made for a pretty disappointing trip but the scenery was nice. Hope your father and you have a better experience!

JMayne

FNG
My dad and I put in for a non-resident Wyoming Unit 102 Antelope hunt. We drew the tags (100% draw buck tag and two doe tags each) I have done quite a bit of reading and I know that much of the land is private and a lot of public land is landlocked. I will call the area biologist in a few weeks and search out any information from them. Can anyone give me any direction on accessible areas of the unit on public land? This trip will be a once in a lifetime shot for my dad so I want to gather as much info as I can before heading over.

The Bighorn Mts. make up a large part of the western side of the unit. Are there antelope hunting opportunities (as well as accessibility) in the foothills? Anyone have any directions (road systems) they would be willing to give?

Any other directional advice for the unit for walk in public access?

Would bringing a 4 wheeler be of assistance to get into areas?

Are there any landowners that publicly list their land as accessible?

Thanks in advance

Did you guys have those draw odds on archery or rifle?

Did you guys have those draw odds on archery or rifle?

With only one exception (In 2019, Antelope Hunt Area 79 on the west side of the Bighorns has a type 9 license which is valid for archery hunting only) in Wyoming you don't apply for an archery OR rifle antelope licenses. Hunters just apply for an antelope license for a hunt area and if the license is drawn then a hunter can purchase an archery stamp that allows the hunter to hunt with archery equipment during the archery season. If the hunter is not successful during the archery season they can hunt with a firearm during the rifle season.

Antelope archery season in most hunt areas opens on August 15, but in Hunt Areas 1-5 and Hunt Area 17 the archery season opens on September 1.

Also, the OP asked about the western part of Antelope Hunt Area 102 that is on the Bighorn National Forest. There is one area just west of Buffalo (Hospital Hill/Hunter Mesa) that, depending on the weather prior to October 15, antelope may be found on the National Forest. Other than that small area the National Forest is not antelope habitat.

ClearCreek

Treehound

FNG
Maybe the wrong spot but can you still purchase a point for antelope through October?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Yes you can purchase point through oct 31. Good luck to you and your dad on the hunt. I am in the same boat next year, planning a hunt for my dad and grandpa while he can still get around.

jrich

FNG
How did the hunt turn out in 102? Interested as I am looking into units for a hunt next year.

Last edited:
OP
Shyboomer

Shyboomer

FNG
How did the hunt turn out in 102? Interested as I am looking into units for a hunt next year.
We got our bucks and a doe. Had probably 3 other opportunities on bucks before we tagged out and a couple more on does. We passed on a fee shots due to the antelope being skylined and having eother houses/hwy in background or other hunters in the distance. You really want to try and set up to shoot downward for safety reasons. For us it was a great experience As we never hinted goats before and wanted a guaranteed hint. That said, 102 has very little public land available. A lot of the land is the Big Horn mtns which doesn’t have many antelope. Hunting pressure everywhere 8-10 vehicles at every walkin area. Pretty much saw antelope due to being pushed around/shot at a lot. Also was the cow elk opener so there were a lot of elk hunters hunting the same land near the mtns. My recommendation would be to only go 102 if you absolutely juat want a place to hunt. If you do, walk in as far as you can to get away from people (there will still be hunters but not as many) I know guys who hunted 20 which is just south of 102. A little more public but not much bit they had success too. Beautiful country though!!

Attachments

• 55EBB8B8-BEB1-4B39-A87D-28B2985FE4B8.jpeg
    55EBB8B8-BEB1-4B39-A87D-28B2985FE4B8.jpeg
    415.5 KB · Views: 134

jrich

FNG
We got our bucks and a doe. Had probably 3 other opportunities on bucks before we tagged out and a couple more on does. We passed on a fee shots due to the antelope being skylined and having eother houses/hwy in background or other hunters in the distance. You really want to try and set up to shoot downward for safety reasons. For us it was a great experience As we never hinted goats before and wanted a guaranteed hint. That said, 102 has very little public land available. A lot of the land is the Big Horn mtns which doesn’t have many antelope. Hunting pressure everywhere 8-10 vehicles at every walkin area. Pretty much saw antelope due to being pushed around/shot at a lot. Also was the cow elk opener so there were a lot of elk hunters hunting the same land near the mtns. My recommendation would be to only go 102 if you absolutely juat want a place to hunt. If you do, walk in as far as you can to get away from people (there will still be hunters but not as many) I know guys who hunted 20 which is just south of 102. A little more public but not much bit they had success too. Beautiful country though!!
Thanks and thats great. I love hearing stories of the new guys having success in those types of units. I actually have 5 points but a buddy with 0. So I was thinking about dragging him along to split the gas money from Ohio, but I need to find him a unit he can draw but have a decent chance of success.

Termite I

FNG
Nice, I'm glad you had success and a great time. I've been looking into Antelope hunting in Wyoming so your info is a great help.

drewp00

FNG

My wife and I are trying to plan a hunt this fall and do not have any preference points. Was considering this unit since it seems like it would be fairly easy to draw and I’m not looking for any trophy antelope, just want to fill the freezer. I know this unit doesn’t have the most public land in it, but how was the access? Is a lot of the public land locked? Worried about the roads, as I’ve heard it’s sometimes unclear if it’s a public or private road. What was your experience, any tips?

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
Not the OP but we hunted this unit this year. With a day of scouting before open, we had a buck on the ground within the first hour of daylight. Just to say that it's possible in an "undesirable" unit.

We found access to be straightforward to the public that actually hold antelope. Much of the public in this unit is higher elevation and wooded (elk country). The weather was mild, so the elk weren't moving down in to the flat yet, but generally if there are elk hunters around, look somewhere else for antelope.

There is one public road that crosses private at the southern end of the unit to be aware of. Apart from that, access shouldn't be a problem.

drewp00

FNG
Not the OP but we hunted this unit this year. With a day of scouting before open, we had a buck on the ground within the first hour of daylight. Just to say that it's possible in an "undesirable" unit.

We found access to be straightforward to the public that actually hold antelope. Much of the public in this unit is higher elevation and wooded (elk country). The weather was mild, so the elk weren't moving down in to the flat yet, but generally if there are elk hunters around, look somewhere else for antelope.

There is one public road that crosses private at the southern end of the unit to be aware of. Apart from that, access shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the info. Did you find there was enough public that you could get away from people if you put in the effort?...not afraid to walk a few miles if necessary.

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info. Did you find there was enough public that you could get away from people if you put in the effort?...not afraid to walk a few miles if necessary.

I'm not sure you'd want to walk very far in a lot of the unit. The further you move from the trailheads, the less antelope-y the terrain gets. That might account for the relatively low success in the unit - people bunch up where the game is.

If I were planning to walk, I'd stay toward the southern part of the unit.

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
Big advantage of 102 for me was that I could get a reduced price , leftover cow elk license also and this area is beautiful! The Bighorns are always your backdrop while looking for antelope. It is an easy drive into the mountains from anywhere.