Wyoming unit 35 cow tag - base camp ideas?

Hi all,

Myself and 2 friends have cow tags for unit 35 in October. Since I have to drive 21 hours out there I'm not going to be able to scout before I get out there. Like anywhere, I understand that the weather will have a lot to do with where the elk are on opening day. I'm more concerned with figuring out where we're going to set up our base camp. We will setting up a wall tent but will have the ability to bivy as well. That being said, I'd hate to set up a wall tent and then break it down and move it after realizing it's not in a great spot. We will be hiking in, no ATVs or horses. I've been pouring over OnX to get an idea of the topography and landscape. It looks like there is a big burn in the south of the unit near a lookout tower. I was thinking that might be a decent starting point. We are all fairly young and in good shape. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hi all,

Myself and 2 friends have cow tags for unit 35 in October. Since I have to drive 21 hours out there I'm not going to be able to scout before I get out there. Like anywhere, I understand that the weather will have a lot to do with where the elk are on opening day. I'm more concerned with figuring out where we're going to set up our base camp. We will setting up a wall tent but will have the ability to bivy as well. That being said, I'd hate to set up a wall tent and then break it down and move it after realizing it's not in a great spot. We will be hiking in, no ATVs or horses. I've been pouring over OnX to get an idea of the topography and landscape. It looks like there is a big burn in the south of the unit near a lookout tower. I was thinking that might be a decent starting point. We are all fairly young and in good shape. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
As long as weather cooperates, I'd camp on the PC loop road just east of the lookout you're talking about. Should have any issues finding elk. If there's more than 6-8" of snow, hunt about as low as you can towards private.....