Wyoming unit 48

johnnylaw

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have experience in this unit? Ive only ever hunted antelope once and have built up some points. Im hoping to draw this unit this year. Wondering if i need to be looking at outfitters and trespass fees or if i should have a decent chance at finding decent goats on blm land
Thanks
John

Wapiti Bob is right!

I was in there with a friend of mine who had the tag last year. We went after their class/my work and filled the tag on a nice buck in one afternoon midweek in October...which included a missed shot and muffed stalks in terrible weather conditions.

It’s a good time.

don't forget you're fishing pole go try miracle mile river in the north end of 48 its a blast big trout. we fish there every year and see a ton of lopers in 48.

Dougwise

FNG
How many points does it generally take to pull a tag in unit 48? I have points built up (7 I think). Trying to decide where to hunt for a quality buck in an area with plenty of public access to look over. Not in a hurry. Trying to choose the best unit I can get with the points I have. Any suggestions?

@Dougwise I hunted this unit last year. Lots of goats and enough public and enough pressure too. If you're looking for a mid 70s buck, it should be doable in this unit if you get away from the roads.

Regarding how many points it takes, I personally would not rely on what others have to say and simple look for yourself and do some easy quick research: https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Drawing-Odds/2022-Drawing-Odds

I burned similar amount of points as you have last season and I personally would not do that again. Yes it was a fun hunt. Just looking for better quality here.

Good luck, at the rate this winter is going, and the rate the snow is currently coming down, all of the antelope in 48 will be dead in a month. Saw this same situation 2 years back.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
@Dougwise I hunted this unit last year. Lots of goats and enough public and enough pressure too. If you're looking for a mid 70s buck, it should be doable in this unit if you get away from the roads.

Regarding how many points it takes, I personally would not rely on what others have to say and simple look for yourself and do some easy quick research: https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Drawing-Odds/2022-Drawing-Odds

I burned similar amount of points as you have last season and I personally would not do that again. Yes it was a fun hunt. Just looking for better quality here.
Are you saying to spend the same amount of points on the unit he asked about or a different unit? Either way why would you not do it again? Just looking for bigger bucks?

Are you saying to spend the same amount of points on the unit he asked about or a different unit? Either way why would you not do it again? Just looking for bigger bucks?
What I'm saying is that I burned similar points as he currently has on unit 48 this past season. Furthermore stating I personally would not spend that many points again on a 48 tag again. It was a fun and easy hunt, plenty of animals... I'm just looking for better quality (older age class) and overall better experience (I like solitude and hard access)

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
What I'm saying is that I burned similar points as he currently has on unit 48 this past season. Furthermore stating I personally would not spend that many points again on a 48 tag again. It was a fun and easy hunt, plenty of animals... I'm just looking for better quality (older age class) and overall better experience (I like solitude and hard access)
Got ya. So question. Antelope are biggest at 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 years of age. So were you seeing a bunch of yearlings or are you looking for 6 or 7 year Olds that are possibly on the downhill side? I've had this unit on the list thus the questions.