Wyoming unit 63

Guys , thinking of trying 63 (North Ferris) for goats in the next year or so, anyone have any info on numbers and quality for this area.

Thanks and good luck with your draws this year

CC

OP
C
Wow that's a hit,, I assume it's due to the drought conditions, I hunted elk in the Ferris Mtns about ten years ago and saw some nice goats on the south side of the hills

Thanks for the info

CC

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The entire speed goat population took a hit on the eastern half of the state. Need an easy winter or two.

What were the deer like in the Ferris mountains? Always intrigues me but i never hear about them.

OP
C
I never saw any good mulie bucks but I have heard that there are some good ones there, I did take a very nice heavy bull on the hunt, from what I see it's a hard draw for deer and elk, That's was my motive to hunt goats there, make it a glorified scouting trip for deer and see if I want to try it for mulies.

whitingja

WKR
Hunted it last year with my boy, type 2 tag, only could hunt east of buzzard road. Hunted late in season, so had a hard time finding them. Finally got on them. Son killed 73 inch buck, was pleased. Gets hunted hard. Applied again this year. We will see.

HONEYBADGER

Lil-Rokslider
63 used to be outstanding but the mags got wind of it and pimped it for a few years. Created a lot of demand for the tags and they had way way way too many tags for that unit, with its proximity to Casper, it got hammered. I literally saw quad cab trucks with guys hauling pickup beds of full of goats out of there. They used to give a fist full of doe tags over there and the unit paid for it. That combined with the water issues has made the unit average/below average at best. The mags have finally downgraded it but that comes about 2 years late, it should have been downgraded earlier. I hunted there several years ago and again a few years back, the difference was staggering both in numbers and quality. I have moved on to other units until the tag quota is low there for a few years. Even then with the water issues they have now it may never be the same. Take it for whats it worth.

Willyp

FNG
Last year on the drive from Rawlins to where I head west at Muddy Gap there was a marked difference in the overall numbers of pronghorns I saw over the last 3 years in a row. I hate to even say where I'd spend max points at right now. Over the years I have seen an outstanding pronghorn a lot of places that are not blue chip units and for me chasing them at 10,000 would just be a very neat hunt in itself. Probably the only place I have not ran into an overly large buck has been up high but they are an entirely different acting animal up there and use the trees to advantage so you don't see the numbers you do down in the desert or prairies.