Wyoming unit 75 vs 73

emmagator

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to go back to Wyoming next year, hunted antelope in 2017 in unit 73. Had a great hunt, but it looks like 73 now takes 4 points special, i drew with 3 special in 2017. Im looking at 75 next door, i assume it should be a similar unit and hunt. Public land availability looks similar and i assume terrain is very similar. Anyone have any input on unit 75? Or a comparison if they've hunted both.

NEWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
75 usually takes more points to draw than 73. I would guess you wouldn’t get either unit with 3 points next year.

OP
E

emmagator

Lil-Rokslider
75 usually takes more points to draw than 73. I would guess you wouldn’t get either unit with 3 points next year.
Gohunt shows 73 taking 4 special to draw and shows 75 taking 3 special for 2020. Odds may change for 2021

NEWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Gohunt shows 73 taking 4 special to draw and shows 75 taking 3 special for 2020. Odds may change for 2021
Yes, they did change in 2020. WY draw odds show 75 was actually 28% with 4 points in the special. 73 was 38% with < 4 points. Both are likely to take more points in 2021.

NateTP38

Lil-Rokslider
Do units like these tend to flip flop which one takes more points to draw?

Laramie

WKR
Do units like these tend to flip flop which one takes more points to draw?
There are no trends that you can count on. It is truly a guessing game as nobody can predict who will use their points for what area and when. Some people feel there will be a slight drop off from this year since there was such an uptick in applications that many attribute to covid. My guess is point creep will remain stable so in other words count on areas to take more and more points to draw.

I'd pick 75 over 73. They cut quite a few tags out of 75 for this year, so odds are going to be lower.

OP
E

emmagator

Lil-Rokslider
I'd pick 75 over 73. They cut quite a few tags out of 75 for this year, so odds are going to be lower.
Wyo, have you hunted both? Im curious is they are basically the same hunt due to them being neighboring units?

do you know how many tags cut, or where to find that info on the Wyoming fish and game site?

I've hunted both, I think quality is better in 75 based on my personal experience and friends that hunt it more then I do. The draws have not been good to me. There was 600 total tags in 2019 down to 525 this year. I guess you probably could figure it all out going through all the past draw odds for tag numbers over the years. 73 used to be almost a for sure draw for residents back in the day.

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted 75 this year and didn’t see 50 bucks in 3 days! We drove the unit the day before season from daylight to dark glassing at good vantage points and not seeing a buck over low 70’s. We picked the best one to be close to come opener and my buddy shot the wrong buck. We looked the rest of the day for the bigger of the 2 with no success. I shot a 73” buck on second day because I hadn’t found anything else. We didn’t see 300 antelope total. Very disappointing

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted 75 this year and didn’t see 50 bucks in 3 days! We drove the unit the day before season from daylight to dark glassing at good vantage points and not seeing a buck over low 70’s. We picked the best one to be close to come opener and my buddy shot the wrong buck. We looked the rest of the day for the bigger of the 2 with no success. I shot a 73” buck on second day because I hadn’t found anything else. We didn’t see 300 antelope total. Very disappointing
You saw hundreds of antelope and shot an above average buck and walked away disappointed? I’m having a hard time wrapping my mind around this?

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted leftover tags 3 times in definitely non trophy units. I have seen a lot more antelope there and killed 2 bucks 75” 78”
I just expected a lot more antelope and overall better quality. It was still a fun hunt but for the 7 points it took I won’t waste my time again

PLI

FNG
Hunted 75 last year. Saw lots of bucks and had a lot of fun. Agree with above, didn’t see many above low 70’s. We ended up shooting one 72” and one 78”. No experience with unit 73.

NDhunter1

FNG
I hunted a close by unit and saw numerous antelope, but rather the same thing for size. Nothing big, but finding one in the low 70s wasn't hard. It was a very fun hunt, hard to comprehend how many antelope you can see in a day!

I hunted a unit next door to 73 this year. Biologist said they are going to try and increase the buck tags because the bucks are way overpopulated. They believe it is hurting the genetics and the bucks are not growing very big.

I would see lots of Antelope on 73 as we drove by everyday. Lots of public as well and they have a long season.

Anyone else hunt 75 this year? Looking to burn my points next year. Not looking for a monster but looking for a respectful buck and a fun hunt. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Stalker69

WKR
When you guys are talking points, is this for bucks only, or do does ( doe only lic.) require points also ? I believe I asked this question before, and don’t remember the reply, or if I got one.

Hopefully I'll be out in one of those units next year taking my two boys on their first big game hunt. I'll have 5 points going into the draw and will probably spend the money to go into the special so we have better odds since we need to start scheduling the trip now.

When you guys are talking points, is this for bucks only, or do does ( doe only lic.) require points also ? I believe I asked this question before, and don’t remember the reply, or if I got one.
Yes, preference points are for type 1 antelope tags which are buck/any antelope. You can put in for doe tags but they do not use your points to either draw or not.

JasonWi

WKR
Anyone else hunt 75 this year? Looking to burn my points next year. Not looking for a monster but looking for a respectful buck and a fun hunt. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Nick:

I hunted both units this year. Had a 75 buck tag and 73 doe tags. We looked over a lot of bucks in 75 trying to find anything 75" or bigger and simply couldn't locate them. Best we could find was around 73-74"

We hunted both walk-in areas and drove and glassed from the western to eastern boundaries and from the southern boundary up to the mountains. It's a fun unit if it's a persons first time hunting them or just want a relaxing hunt. I passed well over 150 bucks trying to find something I wanted to shoot.

Biggest buck we saw the entire trip was in 73 and he was in a walk-in area.