Wyoming Unit K couples hunt/opportunity

19hunt92

Lil-Rokslider
So this year we got a lucky draw with myself, my buddy and our wives for mule deer rifle in unit K. High level, i am the only one with knowledge of hunting the backcountry and mountain camping (granted this is rather timid compared to other areas).

With that said, we are leaving our houses Oct 1st and hunting through the 10th. We have been E-scouting and I am obviously taking the lead with making plans and where to camp, where to hunt the first few days etc. I feel torn between keeping this completely public and lucky (where preparation and opportunity meet) and asking about private access.
So here i go with the deep end, i know there are quite a few people on here with resources and i would like to at least pose the question, for my wife/my buddies wife, does anyone have a higher opportunity area on private they would offer to grant to them? I plan to keep my hunting public but would like to see if i can give my wife her first western experience with at least seeing plenty of wildlife. We can discuss compensation and/or planning in PM's

Now that i bit the bullet on asking, i will be researching the heck out of multiple forums and maps for hunting this unit and where to zero in on. Thanks to this group for having more info that a guy can look through and sharing knowledge. Time to start researching more for myself! another fun fall coming at us

There are a few walk in areas and an HMA. Region K is severely suffering right now with low fawn numbers, low buck numbers and severe drought and a few bad winters the past 5 years so don’t expect much. Yearling bucks will be available as it was a mild winter but mature bucks are very few and far between. All the Outfitters leased up all the large acreages decades ago and nobody offers private access anymore. The only way to get that is to pay an Outfitter. There are a few good ones if you are interested in that route. Everything has a 4 point APR this year so watch what you shoot. I expect the harvest will be an all time historical low this year with the poor dry and drought conditions and the restrictions on APR. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it’s pretty sad in SW Wyoming right now except for elk. Good luck.

Try calling Game and Fish in Green River. Not sure if it will help, but they usually have lists of ranchers who are willing to let people hunt their property depending on species. I hunt this area every year and @highfastflyer is right You will have a hell of a time finding access the closer to Evanston you get (South of there has historically held some very nice deer, but again access...) There is some opportunity on the BLM land and national forest towards the southern side of the unit. They do have 4 point restrictions in place for the area this season. Don't let that discourage you though, I have seen plenty of legal bucks over the last few weeks, but you will have to earn the opportunity for sure.