Wyoming Units 84, 86, 89, & 90

Afhunter1

WKR
I will be bow hunting elk in one or more of these units from 9/20 to 9/28. I have never hunted in WY before so I am curious if having a open rifle deer season will change the way the elk act much or do the elk not really change habits unless they get bumped out. I have also been told it will be fairly busy with deer hunters at this time. How would you avoid them or use them to your advantage? Anything else a rookie going into these areas might need to know would be great. I was planning on backpacking in; I backpack hunted CO, ID, and MT already. I will be driving out.

One last question, It seems like Western WY is getting lots of precip this year. Does that change the elevation that elk might be at?

Thanks!

jmez

WKR
With 8 days to hunt I would pick one of those units and focus on a few different areas within the unit.

sasquatch

WKR
All are a toss up

However some of them I believe open to rifle elk on the 26th

May be a good plan to hunt one of those and tote a rifle for 2 days at the end if you haven’t killed yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Afhunter1

Afhunter1

WKR
With 8 days to hunt I would pick one of those units and focus on a few different areas within the unit.

I do have a Plan A and B that are pretty close to each other and I am hoping to not have to run around. I will be very diligent before I leave my main unit. I know in these areas elk are gonna be there I just got to find em.

OP
Afhunter1

Afhunter1

WKR
All are a toss up

However some of them I believe open to rifle elk on the 26th

May be a good plan to hunt one of those and tote a rifle for 2 days at the end if you haven’t killed yet

That is a good idea as well. I will have a rifle with me.

Pbast81

FNG
A couple years ago when we hunted that area the Muley hunters kept telling us where they were seeing elk. Most of those guys were going higher than where the elk were that year. I would definitely bring a rifle had we paid attention to that detail we could have shot a giant 6 pt that wouldn’t come into bow range!

Brendan

WKR
I hunted a unit in Western WY that opened to rifle at the end of my hunt in Late September back in 2016. Muley hunters didn't change too much, although really blew out one basin. But, things got busy FAST - went from having very few people around to much more competition when the Elk rifle season opened.

I was on day 12 at that point, so hit the easy button and shot my bull with my 308 on the opening morning of rifle. Bulls were screaming everywhere, and naturally he came and stood broadside in front of me at 40 yards :D

Depends what you're looking for, but I'd be carrying my rifle the day Elk rifle season opened.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
When I've hunted over there muley rifle hunters haven't really messed with anything we were doing, a little busy on the 15th, but they were for the most part just passing through and we weren't really hunting the same areas. I've had them tell me where they've seen elk and I've returned the favor for deer as well. I wouldn't let it affect my decision making on a hunt. Guys above have the right idea if that rifle season opens at the tail end of your hunt, you might as well tote a rifle.

sasquatch

WKR
Everyone of them units are as close to equal as can be. So there’s no wrong decision.

I’d spend my time on whichever I could use a rifle in during my hunt. I would archery Hunt one time then go blind in another when rifle opens

You will run into deer hunters but that shouldn't effect your hunt much. I live in the area and have hunted it my whole life. Feel free to send a pm and ask any questions

What they said.... you’ll be fine but if you’re in a unit that opens to rifle elk hunting I’d say it’s time to gun hunt. Deer hunters are higher than the elk... if they know what they’re doing.

One thing.... I’d go day hunt an area before backpacking a camp in. Test the waters before committing to investing the time and effort. Good luck!

OP
Afhunter1

Afhunter1

WKR
I’m glad to hear that the deer hunters won’t be such a problem. I was actually really worried I should of went a week earlier. I’ll keep my eyes open for nice bucks so I can trade info. Thanks again!

Bucky8929

FNG
A buddy and I drew our general tag this year and we’re going to 84 & 86. Any chance you would share any general information about either of those units. Was running into other hunters a problem or were you able to find areas to get away from the crowds?

Thanks

fatlander

WKR
A buddy and I drew our general tag this year and we’re going to 84 & 86. Any chance you would share any general information about either of those units. Was running into other hunters a problem or were you able to find areas to get away from the crowds?

Thanks

The irony of this post is almost comical.

074e82c7c7a743657df478521c60f46d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks

I have hunted WY a lot over the last 12 years(7 times). Just spent a couple weeks in the units you're asking about because I was mostly scouting for another species my dad and I have tags for, but also looking for elk, We also have WY general elk tags. I will leave it at this... We won't be hunting elk in those units. You're fairly close to good elk hunting, but I would expand where you're looking at. There is much better hunting than those units not too far away.

Bucky8929

FNG
I have hunted WY a lot over the last 12 years(7 times). Just spent a couple weeks in the units you're asking about because I was mostly scouting for another species my dad and I have tags for, but also looking for elk, We also have WY general elk tags. I will leave it at this... We won't be hunting elk in those units. You're fairly close to good elk hunting, but I would expand where you're looking at. There is much better hunting than those units not too far away.
Thanks for the information @elkocd! We have a handful of units picked out in that general area.

harge57

Lil-Rokslider
Tough to compete with the horses in that area. Locals and outfitters looking for both muleys and elk were all over the place in my experience.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk