Wyoming vs. Colorado

I'm looking at doing an antelope hunt next year. My cousin and I went mule deer hunting in Wyoming last year with no success, but got about 60 yards from a nice antelope and saw them all over the state. I've been looking at units in Wyoming with a couple PP and found a handful, and out of those, a few have easy doe tag draws also. Just being curious, I glanced at Colorado draw odds and it seems like a lot of those do not require many, if any PP. (I do not have any PP in Colorado yet) My question is, for a public land hunter, would Wyoming or Colorado be the better option for low PP?

Go Pokes

Lil-Rokslider
My 2 cents....Colorado. Colorado is much more.....connected and friendly. Colorado all day long. Wyoming doesn't have any animals worth chasing. All we have here is wind and barren land. Good luck in Colorado your going to love it there. Can't wait to see photos of Colorado next season.

Jimss

WKR
There are units both in Colo and Wyo with lots of private or a high percentage of public. Obviously the units with lots of public plus lots of antelope take a lot of pref pts in both states to draw. Units with more private in both states generally are a lot easier to draw. Colo actually has quite a few OTC archery antelope units that you can hunt every year.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Unless you are archery hunting CO otc, then WY hands down. Any unit with even a bit of decent public antelope land takes way more points in CO than WY for a rifle tag, not even in the same league for rifle opportunity.

OP
618-Flatlander
Unless you are archery hunting CO otc, then WY hands down. Any unit with even a bit of decent public antelope land takes way more points in CO than WY for a rifle tag, not even in the same league for rifle opportunity.
That was my thought going into it. When we drove through Wyoming last year there were antelope everywhere. Before we went out there, someone described the antelope in Wyoming, like how we see cattle here in the midwest. Just drive down the road and they're everywhere. Which was accurate.

Go Pokes

Lil-Rokslider
We're plenty friendly in Wyoming. Gladly accept your money and show you the way to some other place. We also make the decision to buy a tag here or there very easy for you by making our regulations slightly confusing. And lastly we save you money by removing OTC tags for non-residents that have the urge to impulse shop. Not to mention the cleanest crisp air as you travel through and uncrowded roads to make that journey quick. What can I say except your welcome.

Big Ern

WKR
I love hunting Wyo and have been going there for big game for over a decade and hunted a bunch of different areas. I have always found the locals super cool and helpful as long as you are respectful and friendly. But, that's my policy pretty much anywhere I go and I don't seem to have a problem.

Most Colorado zones do require PP that have public land, even for residents. I live in CO and hunt antelope in Wyoming because it is way better.

byoung.id

FNG
I'm looking at doing an antelope hunt next year. My cousin and I went mule deer hunting in Wyoming last year with no success, but got about 60 yards from a nice antelope and saw them all over the state. I've been looking at units in Wyoming with a couple PP and found a handful, and out of those, a few have easy doe tag draws also. Just being curious, I glanced at Colorado draw odds and it seems like a lot of those do not require many, if any PP. (I do not have any PP in Colorado yet) My question is, for a public land hunter, would Wyoming or Colorado be the better option for low PP?
Can’t comment on CO but WY has been a lot of fun. I had success looking at lower public land areas where draw odds are higher. With the mapping software today you can quickly find the “Back 40” which can be small but mighty for holding speed goats.

zm378205

FNG
Either option would be a good experience, but as someone living in Colorado, I find it Wyoming has a lot more opportunities for antelope. Antelope are distributed across much more of the state than the pockets of Colorado. My recommendation would be Wyoming.

Send me a PM, I'd be happy to share what I know if you're interested... my camp has stacked a few dozen antelope over the past ten years in WY. Never hunted CO, but they've got about 70k animals compared to 300-500k in WY. You can do the math on how many people are chasing them in each state and go from there on where you might enjoy yourself!

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
If you are just looking to hunt lope and have some fun, Wyoming. 2020 will be my 5th years heading west and have never been disappointed. Lots of fun, wide open spaces, and people are nice.