Wyoming vs Montana

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Looking at buying a parcel of dirt in one of these states, in NW WY or SW MT. Nothing to be built on right now, just figure at a minimum it will be a good investment, and best-case scenario I can move out there one day.

I am heavily leaning towards Wyoming (vs Montana) primarily due to its lower population, then secondarily no state income tax, and more of a red state than a blue (when compared to the trends in Montana).

Any advice, things I may be wrong about, or not thinking of?

fmyth

WKR
I am not licensed to practice in either state but if I were purchasing a piece of raw land I'd be sure the purchase contract includes water/well rights and I would negotiate for a long (30 days) "inspection period" so that I could personally verify that I'd be able to drill a well. I would also have the contract contingent on the seller completing a staked survey prior to closing and the buyer obtaining a well permit if one is required in the state/county/water district where I wanted to purchase. I would not make a purchase decision based on any verbal claim by the seller or real estate agents/brokers involved. I'd get everything in writing and have a local real estate attorney review the contract prior to signing. Out West, whiskey is for drinkin and water is for fighting.

WBT

FNG
I faced the same decision as you and ended up buying in Montana. The problem, as you’ll find, is that there’s very little quality land for sale in Wyoming and what is available, comes with a significant premium.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
I'd wait for rising interest rates/recession/housing bubble collapse. Current prices are super inflated in my opinion. I've lived in both states (currently in MT) - I'd take WY any day over MT, especially for hunting quality

bobr1

WKR
I’d look at Wyoming more for property taxes. There is a reason a bunch of millionaires and billionaires have homes there. I don’t recall if the property tax is the same for land vs having a house on it. But I do know Wyoming’s tax rate is based on 9.5% of the true value. So a 1 million dollar property only gets taxed on 95k and that’s also at a really low rate.

jimh406

WKR
I think there are others things to look at with respect to moving. What cities are nearby that have an airport and where do they fly to? Think about what passes you have to travel through in Winter assuming you plan to go anywhere. Where can you get basic medical/dental care? My thought is that I'd go anywhere I needed to for long term cancer care, or other specialty care. Still, you need at least basic emergency care. If schools are important, where is "good" enough for your kids. If you plan to work, where has good employment options.

Visit both in Winter and Summer. You'll find the weather can vary dramatically by shifting 100 miles or so. At least, look up the climate data month by month and along with fire data including what is West of there. A lot of people think all of MT and WY are great until they have to make it through a fire season or Winter.

I've been looking every few hours in Montana. Stuff goes extremely quick if it has any "value". Anything with power to the lot line won't last more than a few days.

Wingnutty

FNG
You and every other person in the nation is buying land here now. Honestly MT is headed downhill fast and it makes me wonder if my days here are numbered. At this point a person could probably buy a 160 of iowa deer property for what 10 acres of crappy timber or dry pasture goes for in many locations in MT.

Deadfall

WKR
I'm not sure how you figure it isn't worth it if someone is paying it.
Ha...one way to find out..
For instance...there's 160 acres for sale just north of me 15 miles ish. It's broke up into 20 acre parcels. Sits just off a interstate, at bottom of a wind blown draw.
There is no water, no electricity, no anything. Just a pile of rocky prairie. Fella selling it said they want 30,000 a acre.
Everyone lost thier minds and starting fleeing to rural areas. Hasn't slowed down.

Just because people pay ridiculous amounts of money for something doesn't mean it's worth. Sooner or later this economy gonna hit a bust cycle. All that high dollar stuff won't be so high dollar.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
People who think Wyoming is safe from the California exodus are delusional. Take a good look at what’s happening in Cody, Jackson, Pinedale, Laramie. I have good friends living in Pinedale and Laramie and it’s not just Californians setting sights on WY, but lots of Colorado (Little California) is looking to get the hell out of that mess as well. Laramie will become a commuter town for those that have to report to a Denver office once or twice a week, and compared to CO home prices, WY is still a bargain. That low population of red blooded WY natives could get over run with New Yorkers and Californians pretty quick, just take a look at Jackson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
People who think Wyoming is safe from the California exodus are delusional. Take a good look at what’s happening in Cody, Jackson, Pinedale, Laramie. I have good friends living in Pinedale and Laramie and it’s not just Californians setting sights on WY, but lots of Colorado (Little California) is looking to get the hell out of that mess as well. Laramie will become a commuter town for those that have to report to a Denver office once or twice a week, and compared to CO home prices, WY is still a bargain. That low population of red blooded WY natives could get over run with New Yorkers and Californians pretty quick, just take a look at Jackson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol. I said when compared to Montana. Fact is Wyoming is the least populated state in the union, yet one of the largest. https://worldpopulationreview.com/states

I live in Florida, man. You think you guys are getting invaded by liberals with deep pockets? Please. I'm getting the F out of here ASAP, and the darkest spot on the map at night is WY. I don't blame you all for not wanting folks to come, but it is what it is. Luckily for you, or whoever my neighbors are, I know how to do basic shit like work on my truck, move trees out of the road, reload ammunition, etc., and I will always help a neighbor in need and give the shirt off my back if asked, but generally I mind my own business and expect others to do the same. If I lived near you, you wouldn't ever see me, unless you were just lucky. ;)