Wyoming vs Montana

KHNC

WKR
NW Montana game population is terrible. Unless you count wolves , bears and lions as game. Montana is awesome but i would look in a different part of the state if you plan to hunt deer or elk.

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
You and every other person in the nation is buying land here now. Honestly MT is headed downhill fast and it makes me wonder if my days here are numbered. At this point a person could probably buy a 160 of iowa deer property for what 10 acres of crappy timber or dry pasture goes for in many locations in MT.

Ha! Nope. Outrageous land prices are not unique to Montana or Wyoming.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Lol. I said when compared to Montana. Fact is Wyoming is the least populated state in the union, yet one of the largest. https://worldpopulationreview.com/states

I live in Florida, man. You think you guys are getting invaded by liberals with deep pockets? Please. I'm getting the F out of here ASAP, and the darkest spot on the map at night is WY. I don't blame you all for not wanting folks to come, but it is what it is. Luckily for you, or whoever my neighbors are, I know how to do basic shit like work on my truck, move trees out of the road, reload ammunition, etc., and I will always help a neighbor in need and give the shirt off my back if asked, but generally I mind my own business and expect others to do the same. If I lived near you, you wouldn't ever see me, unless you were just lucky. ;)
I live in FL as well and did the same thing about 5 years ago. We decided on MT because we found exactly what we were looking for at a great price. It is also near a town that isn't getting Californiad/Yuppified anytime soon, and likely will be the last place in MT to do so. I would just look at both and when you find what you want, you'll know it. Whatever state it's in, well there is your answer. On a side note, in 5 years our property has doubled in value, so not a bad investment.

I literally lose sleep over this entire concept. I am extremely hypocritical, as I would like to buy my chunk and close the gate.

I don't want to see a neighbor and I'll Off Grid. But like one poster stated.....20 acres of prairie rocks and weeds in BFE Montana.....is $160,000ish

The only thing that gives me some Peace is that this Generation will want nothing to do with anything remote. I see this land grab as only popular with people ages 40-65....once we die off....the next crop will not be able to function without delivered food and TikTok.

WKR
People who think Wyoming is safe from the California exodus are delusional. Take a good look at what’s happening in Cody, Jackson, Pinedale, Laramie. I have good friends living in Pinedale and Laramie and it’s not just Californians setting sights on WY, but lots of Colorado (Little California) is looking to get the hell out of that mess as well. Laramie will become a commuter town for those that have to report to a Denver office once or twice a week, and compared to CO home prices, WY is still a bargain. That low population of red blooded WY natives could get over run with New Yorkers and Californians pretty quick, just take a look at Jackson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The wind will have them scurrying back home with their tail between their legs in no time.

You and every other person in the nation is buying land here now. Honestly MT is headed downhill fast and it makes me wonder if my days here are numbered. At this point a person could probably buy a 160 of iowa deer property for what 10 acres of crappy timber or dry pasture goes for in many locations in MT.
I understand the sentiment, but you may want to doublecheck this notion. Do a quick search of hunting/recreational properties in Iowa on Whitetail properties or other sites. Any recreational property with decent tillable land is crazy stupid expensive. Mild/flattish farm ground in my part of the state is going for $16k per acre on auction right now as an example. Add "recreational" value to that and your mind will be blown.

$1.6 M for 240 acres in Decatur county without any buildings. Decatur County Combo Farm with Stocked Pond

$1.1 M for 146 acres in Monona county with ranch house and Morton shed. Monona County Hunting Farm

Other than the deer hunting, what else does buying property in Iowa come with? Filthy streams, rivers, and lakes, constant hog or cattle $hit smell depending on the wind in all parts of the state. Stupid a$$ wind turbines everywhere. I'm an Iowa native, but I'd trade the deer hunting for the clean air and mountain views somewhere out west in a heartbeat if I wont the lottery.

OP
Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I understand the sentiment, but you may want to doublecheck this notion. Do a quick search of hunting/recreational properties in Iowa on Whitetail properties or other sites. Any recreational property with decent tillable land is crazy stupid expensive. Mild/flattish farm ground in my part of the state is going for $16k per acre on auction right now as an example. Add "recreational" value to that and your mind will be blown.

$1.6 M for 240 acres in Decatur county without any buildings. Decatur County Combo Farm with Stocked Pond

$1.1 M for 146 acres in Monona county with ranch house and Morton shed. Monona County Hunting Farm

Other than the deer hunting, what else does buying property in Iowa come with? Filthy streams, rivers, and lakes, constant hog or cattle $hit smell depending on the wind in all parts of the state. Stupid a$$ wind turbines everywhere. I'm an Iowa native, but I'd trade the deer hunting for the clean air and mountain views somewhere out west in a heartbeat if I wont the lottery.
Bingo. He doesn't have a clue.

Land in my home state of Georgia has gotten scarce as well. If you were buying over 100 acres in my home county, you could get some quality raw timberland (which comes with plenty of whitetails though not Iowa quality) with 100+ year old hardwoods, creeks, elevation change, and income-producing Loblolly pines mixed in for $2,500/acre less than 10 years ago. Now you can't find any large parcels, and if you do people are getting $10,000+ per acre.

tdhanses

WKR
Bingo. He doesn't have a clue.

Land in my home state of Georgia has gotten scarce as well. If you were buying over 100 acres in my home county, you could get some quality raw timberland (which comes with plenty of whitetails though not Iowa quality) with 100+ year old hardwoods, creeks, elevation change, and income-producing Loblolly pines mixed in for $2,500/acre less than 10 years ago. Now you can't find any large parcels, and if you do people are getting $10,000+ per acre.
The price increases people are seeing in the west hit the midwest 15 years ago and the coasts 25 years ago. While it seems expensive, incomparison it is pretty affordable.

I noticed that big time just being out there last summer. Living in Wyoming at the time, land prices have been skyrocketing, even more than in other areas, especially NW Wyo. I wonder how long this will last, will the new oncomers to this part of the country be able to hold up to the long winters, snow, and wind for a long period of time? We shall see.

Wags

WKR
Are you planning on living on this property? If not then I'd look at each states NR Landowner program and see if they fit what your expectation is against what you'll be buying.

As pointed out, water is key. Wherever you buy I'd look for a property that you are able to drill and add a solar well and stock tanks at minimum. If you are in Wyoming make sure you get the mineral rights as well as some areas have natural gas and you could lease a section for drilling.

OP
Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Are you planning on living on this property? If not then I'd look at each states NR Landowner program and see if they fit what your expectation is against what you'll be buying.

As pointed out, water is key. Wherever you buy I'd look for a property that you are able to drill and add a solar well and stock tanks at minimum. If you are in Wyoming make sure you get the mineral rights as well as some areas have natural gas and you could lease a section for drilling.
Ultimately, yes, I'd want to be able to build on it.

Have to have 160 ac in WY to get landowner tags. That's not something I could afford right now, but perhaps in the future if I sell my property in Georgia and do a 1031 exchange. This post was more for just buying a smaller parcel, like maybe 20-60 acres so landowner programs would not come into play.

wyosteve

WKR
It's not only own at least 160 acres, but you have to prove game animals use it for a certain period of time.

Wags

WKR
It's not only own at least 160 acres, but you have to prove game animals use it for a certain period of time.

This is something that a lot of people don't know about in terms of LO Tags. Even though I have 400 acres but cannot get an Elk tag because I don't have enough usage. It's a bummer but I understand the premise and plan accordingly.

OP
Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Anyone who is seriously looking at land knows exactly what the rules are. I have researched in several states. For anyone who doesn't know, it's nothing a quick google search won't show

6 Important Regulations Regarding Wyoming Landowner Hunting License​

What Qualifies a Person for a Wyoming Landowner Hunting License?
Wyoming has some great hunting opportunities, for both residents and non-residents. One great opportunity is the Landowner License option that Wyoming offers. This can be a huge advantage especially in draw areas where drawing odds are particularly low. Unfortunately, the information on the subject is hard to come by through the Wyoming Game and Fish Department website. The regulations are available, but not easily found. The following link is to Chapter 44 of the Wyoming Game and Fish Regulations. Scroll to Section 9 (page 44-23) to find the information regarding Landowner Licenses. In addition, Section 3 provides definitions regarding the regulations, including who the landowner can be, and which relations to the landowner can apply for and possess a landowner tag.
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regulations/Regulation-PDFs/REGULATIONS_CH44-(1).pd

Below is a summation outlining the regulations which will hopefully answer common questions about the program. These landowner tags are available for elk, deer, antelope and wild turkey.

1. To apply for a landowner tag, the landowner must own 160 contiguous acres in the draw area being applied for. If general tags for the species are available, landowner tags will not be issued.
2. This deeded land must provide food, cover and water for the species being applied for. The land must provide 2000 days of use for the species in a 12-month period, demonstrated by the landowner. In other words, it must be shown that in order to qualify for landowner tags, the species must use and occupy that particular land. Two thousand days of use could be 10 animals for 200 days (common for deer or antelope) or maybe 500 head for 4 days! Not unheard of for large herds of elk.
3. A maximum of 2 tags can be issued per landowner per species. The landowner does not have to be issued the tag. One or both can be issued to an immediate family member including the landowner applicant’s parents, grandparents, lineal descendants and their spouses, or landowner’s siblings. In Wyoming, these tags cannot be transferred or sold to other people.
4. Each landowner applicant is limited to 2 tags per species, regardless of the total number of parcels owned by that individual. It is also important to note that of the 2 tags, only one can be applied for as a full price tag in any calendar year. Additional tag must be reduced price (doe or cow tag).
5. Change of ownership to any parcel of land will never allow more than the 2 tags per species limit on the parcel of land. ALSO, “any lands purchased or subdivided for the primary purpose of obtaining landowner licenses shall not be eligible for landowner licenses” per the first paragraph of Section 9. This has been a concern of some sportsmen who believe that landowner tags may be cutting into the ‘pool’ of tags available to the general public.
6. The landowner tags do come out of the ‘pool’ of total quota issued for a particular area. However, it should be comforting to know that the number of landowner tags issued in an area is limited. If more landowner tags are applied for than are available, there will be a competitive drawing within the landowner pool, and no additional tags will be taken from the draw-area pool of tags available to the public.
This program is a way to help compensate landowners for the amount of resources these private lands provide to the wildlife population of the state. At 2,000 days of use, that can be quite an impact on people’s private lands! Please check out the link above or contact the Wyoming Game and Fish Department for more information and questions on the Wyoming landowner licenses.

Mt Al

WKR
Have three friends from Montana that now live in Wyoming. At first they were all "I just have to find a way to get back, gotta get back to the 406 Bro, Montana or bust". Now both have zero desire to return. They're in north/central Wyoming and love it. That's a sample size of three and no way a trend, just a few people I know.

IMHO, comparing what state is best for outdoor - it's a toss up and both are awesome. Pick several communities or regions you like in terms of the town, scenery, people, amenities. Prioritize on what you can afford, call it good, look for land and adapt.

Weather, IMHO: Montana's winters are laughable compared to upper mid west and I used to think that the harsh weather will clean them out. People from Minnesota and Wisconsin (I see more Wisconsin plates every day, what gives? Our mild weather?) get a good chuckle at tough-guy Montanans warning about our harsh winters (I was one of them, now humbled). Our winters aren't squat, it's a myth, let it go. Yes, all three people in West Yellowstone have it worse and the wind in central Wyoming is terrible/legit reason to not move there. People are coming and not leaving due to weather.

Politics, Montana/Wyoming = same same. Montana didn't turn blue per the doomsday forecasts. Last election, after the world of liberals apparently moved here, secretly goaded by dark liberal strategists, Montana had the biggest red wave ever. "but....but it's going to turn blue...." maybe someday.

Hope you find some good land and make a future for yourself. You're joining thousands who have come in the last twenty years, nothing's the same, but it's the way it is. Adapt.

Broomd

WKR
I was just in both states, dropped down from Bozeman and picked up a Toyota Tundra in Powell, Wy--near the gates of Yellowstone. Overall, I had forgotten just how dry and remote WY is.
Wyoming will likley present more challenges with climate, topography, remoteness--MT is far prettier with less scrub-type sage etc.--but all in all, I'd be opting for WY over Montana.

Given what's going on in this country that state is probably the last best option for escape.

We have a place in MT because Wyoming was too remote/far for my wife. I would rank WY as number 1 for resident hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojave

WKR
Most of Wyoming and eastern Montana look similar. They both have thr same cold weather and wind. NW Montana is quite a bit warmer.