Wyoming vs Montana

Mojave

WKR
No state is safe from the California exodus. But the current exodus of Californian's is mostly Conservatives.

The people moving to Boise and Coer D' Lane Idaho are mostly retired cops.

Wags

WKR
No state is safe from the California exodus. But the current exodus of Californian's is mostly Conservatives.

The people moving to Boise and Coer D' Lane Idaho are mostly retired cops.

Truth.... I'll be one of them when my time comes. I've had 10 partners and friends that all moved out of state just this year. All are conservative and moved to escape the politics of CA and to live with like minded people.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I understand the sentiment, but you may want to doublecheck this notion. Do a quick search of hunting/recreational properties in Iowa on Whitetail properties or other sites. Any recreational property with decent tillable land is crazy stupid expensive. Mild/flattish farm ground in my part of the state is going for $16k per acre on auction right now as an example. Add "recreational" value to that and your mind will be blown.

$1.6 M for 240 acres in Decatur county without any buildings. Decatur County Combo Farm with Stocked Pond

$1.1 M for 146 acres in Monona county with ranch house and Morton shed. Monona County Hunting Farm

Other than the deer hunting, what else does buying property in Iowa come with? Filthy streams, rivers, and lakes, constant hog or cattle $hit smell depending on the wind in all parts of the state. Stupid a$$ wind turbines everywhere. I'm an Iowa native, but I'd trade the deer hunting for the clean air and mountain views somewhere out west in a heartbeat if I wont the lottery.
Come out west in late summer and "clean air" won't be on your list. Fire seasons haven't been getting any better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Come out west in late summer and "clean air" won't be on your list. Fire seasons haven't been getting any better.

I drove through northern WY and southern MT on 90, 94, and up to Great Falls on 15 last September. I promise you the smoke is better than hog $hit and cow pi$$ any day. Especially in the fall when it finally cools off and you want to open the windows, but the corporate hog confinement 2 miles away has been knifing tens if not hundreds of thousands of gallons of liquified hog manure that’s been baking all summer into every available bean stubble field for a week straight. When the furrows have standing liquid in them for several days you start to wonder how the DNR distinguishes between a spill and “fertilizer”.

Ask anybody that’s driven north through Iowa on I35 what they smell from the MO border to the MN line. Hogs, hogs, turkeys, hogs, and more hogs.

schlumpyj

FNG
No whitetail or turkey is worth choking on Iowa manure air for a year. Hog manure is just on another level of nastiness.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I drove through northern WY and southern MT on 90, 94, and up to Great Falls on 15 last September. I promise you the smoke is better than hog $hit and cow pi$$ any day. Especially in the fall when it finally cools off and you want to open the windows, but the corporate hog confinement 2 miles away has been knifing tens if not hundreds of thousands of gallons of liquified hog manure that’s been baking all summer into every available bean stubble field for a week straight. When the furrows have standing liquid in them for several days you start to wonder how the DNR distinguishes between a spill and “fertilizer”.

Ask anybody that’s driven north through Iowa on I35 what they smell from the MO border to the MN line. Hogs, hogs, turkeys, hogs, and more hogs.
I was in northern Iowa last summer for several days and didn't smell any of that

Bighorner

WKR
Are you planning on living on this property? If not then I'd look at each states NR Landowner program and see if they fit what your expectation is against what you'll be buying.

As pointed out, water is key. Wherever you buy I'd look for a property that you are able to drill and add a solar well and stock tanks at minimum. If you are in Wyoming make sure you get the mineral rights as well as some areas have natural gas and you could lease a section for drilling.

Good luck getting the minerals.

Bighorner

WKR
Anyone who is seriously looking at land knows exactly what the rules are. I have researched in several states. For anyone who doesn't know, it's nothing a quick google search won't show

6 Important Regulations Regarding Wyoming Landowner Hunting License​

What Qualifies a Person for a Wyoming Landowner Hunting License?
Wyoming has some great hunting opportunities, for both residents and non-residents. One great opportunity is the Landowner License option that Wyoming offers. This can be a huge advantage especially in draw areas where drawing odds are particularly low. Unfortunately, the information on the subject is hard to come by through the Wyoming Game and Fish Department website. The regulations are available, but not easily found. The following link is to Chapter 44 of the Wyoming Game and Fish Regulations. Scroll to Section 9 (page 44-23) to find the information regarding Landowner Licenses. In addition, Section 3 provides definitions regarding the regulations, including who the landowner can be, and which relations to the landowner can apply for and possess a landowner tag.
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regulations/Regulation-PDFs/REGULATIONS_CH44-(1).pd

Below is a summation outlining the regulations which will hopefully answer common questions about the program. These landowner tags are available for elk, deer, antelope and wild turkey.

1. To apply for a landowner tag, the landowner must own 160 contiguous acres in the draw area being applied for. If general tags for the species are available, landowner tags will not be issued.
2. This deeded land must provide food, cover and water for the species being applied for. The land must provide 2000 days of use for the species in a 12-month period, demonstrated by the landowner. In other words, it must be shown that in order to qualify for landowner tags, the species must use and occupy that particular land. Two thousand days of use could be 10 animals for 200 days (common for deer or antelope) or maybe 500 head for 4 days! Not unheard of for large herds of elk.
3. A maximum of 2 tags can be issued per landowner per species. The landowner does not have to be issued the tag. One or both can be issued to an immediate family member including the landowner applicant’s parents, grandparents, lineal descendants and their spouses, or landowner’s siblings. In Wyoming, these tags cannot be transferred or sold to other people.
4. Each landowner applicant is limited to 2 tags per species, regardless of the total number of parcels owned by that individual. It is also important to note that of the 2 tags, only one can be applied for as a full price tag in any calendar year. Additional tag must be reduced price (doe or cow tag).
5. Change of ownership to any parcel of land will never allow more than the 2 tags per species limit on the parcel of land. ALSO, “any lands purchased or subdivided for the primary purpose of obtaining landowner licenses shall not be eligible for landowner licenses” per the first paragraph of Section 9. This has been a concern of some sportsmen who believe that landowner tags may be cutting into the ‘pool’ of tags available to the general public.
6. The landowner tags do come out of the ‘pool’ of total quota issued for a particular area. However, it should be comforting to know that the number of landowner tags issued in an area is limited. If more landowner tags are applied for than are available, there will be a competitive drawing within the landowner pool, and no additional tags will be taken from the draw-area pool of tags available to the public.
This program is a way to help compensate landowners for the amount of resources these private lands provide to the wildlife population of the state. At 2,000 days of use, that can be quite an impact on people’s private lands! Please check out the link above or contact the Wyoming Game and Fish Department for more information and questions on the Wyoming landowner licenses.

Just a heads up, the LO tags and total acres to qualify are currently getting reviews for possible recommendations on changes to prevent people from gaming the system.

I was in northern Iowa last summer for several days and didn't smell any of that

Well, I'd say you got lucky then. I've lived here all my life in multiple parts of the state. NE IA is saved from a lot of it due to the Driftless Region topography. Other than that and a few places in southern IA, this state is flush with hog confinements, especially north central. However, if you want to move here, be my guest.

Article quote regarding Iowa waterways... I live in the northern Raccoon River watershed, and the author's observations are not exaggerated. These issues aren't limited to this watershed however. Every waterway in Iowa, save some of the cold water trout streams in NE Iowa are subject to the same pressures. Where do you think the upper Mississippi gets all it nutrient, nitrate, and pathogen load?

"There are more than 750 hazardous impairments across our state, and most of these impairments can be attributed to one industry. E. coli, MRSA, and toxic levels of nitrates are as much a part of our water in Iowa as hydrogen and oxygen. Where are they coming from? These harmful pathogens and pollutants originate in factory farms. Each year, over 10,000 factory farms across the state produce more than 72 billion pounds of manure. That waste is then spread on acre after acre of cropland, oftentimes in amounts far greater than the soil’s ability to absorb it. From there, the excess runs off into our waters, polluting our drinking water, limiting our ability to recreate on the water, and destroying critical plant and animal habitat.

Today, American Rivers named Iowa’s Raccoon River one of the Most Endangered Rivers in the U.S. The Raccoon River supplies drinking water to over half a million Iowans. Des Moines Water Works, Iowa’s largest water utility, depends on the Raccoon River in order to provide residents of central Iowa with safe drinking water. But industrial agriculture practices are rampant in the watershed. Over 750 factory farms are located in the basin and have put our access to clean water at risk. In order to provide safe drinking water to residents in Iowa’s capital city of Des Moines, the Des Moines Water Works was forced to invest in one of the world’s most expensive nitrate removal systems — a cost borne by ratepayers, not the corporate agribusiness entities responsible for the pollution.

*Edit- apologies to the OP for the hijack.

Last edited: