Wyoming Wilderness Area Question

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
This is a really stupid question don't shoot me fellas.

I know that non residents cannot hunt in Wilderness Areas within the state of Wyoming without a guide (or a resident), I also know that for the purposes of residency in the eyes of game and fish you have to live there for at least a year, meaning you can be a resident in just about every way that matters besides your tag type depending on the timing of your move in the cycle of applications/tags/seasons etc.

So the question is, if you live in the state of Wyoming, have a Wyoming license plate, driver's license and all that jazz, but have are hunting on a "non-resident" tag, can you utilize the wilderness area freely?

Interesting question. Responding to hear the answer. My guess is that you need a resident license. But that’s a guess. You could just call the WGFD and ask. I certainly wouldn’t just take the word of someone on a forum.

1 (307) 777-4600

Archer86

WKR
My guess is also it requires a resident license since you are hunting a non resident license my guess is you won't make the 12 month it requires to meet the guidelines to be a resident hunter before hunting season.

Best to check with the game dept as wyobohunter suggested. Interesting question for sure.

I would say no because if you don’t have a resident hunting license you most likely haven’t physically lived there long enough to qualify as a resident under the fish and game criteria.

bdan68

WKR
It could be that a person moves to Wyoming and hasn't been there for a year yet when applying for a license, so applies as a non resident. Then by the time the season opens for that license, that person has been a resident of Wyoming for over a year, and does qualify as a resident under the WGFD rules. So I'd say it probably would be legal for that person to hunt wilderness. But I would definitely check with the WGFD and see what they say.

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
You could claim you are acting as your own resident guide. Haha. (This is a joke)

Pretty sure the Judge would consider that subterfuge.

I would talk to Fish and Game via EMAIL or other written communication. I would have said communication on my person if they granted you the ability to hunt the wilderness. You saw how long the corner crossing thing took? Court processes are very slow. Not worth the hassle to risk it and possibly mess hunting for years to come.

Let us know what they say.

This is a really stupid question don't shoot me fellas.

I know that non residents cannot hunt in Wilderness Areas within the state of Wyoming without a guide (or a resident), I also know that for the purposes of residency in the eyes of game and fish you have to live there for at least a year, meaning you can be a resident in just about every way that matters besides your tag type depending on the timing of your move in the cycle of applications/tags/seasons etc.

So the question is, if you live in the state of Wyoming, have a Wyoming license plate, driver's license and all that jazz, but have are hunting on a "non-resident" tag, can you utilize the wilderness area freely?
So did you contact WFG on this? Seemed like an interesting case, and I agree with bdan68 in being technically a NR at time of application, but then becoming a full time (1 year mark) resident before the hunt. My question would be if you could get a partial refund on your tag then if that was the case too!

wyosteve

WKR
The answer is 'no'. There are different residency rules for drivers licenses, student tuition, address, etc. A 'resident' hunting license requires continuous residency in the state for a year.

bdan68

WKR
The answer is 'no'. There are different residency rules for drivers licenses, student tuition, address, etc. A 'resident' hunting license requires continuous residency in the state for a year.
But the question isn't whether he can get a resident license... it's can he hunt in the wilderness if he's lived in Wyoming the full year and therefore meets the requirements for hunting as a resident.

wyo

Lil-Rokslider
But the question isn't whether he can get a resident license... it's can he hunt in the wilderness if he's lived in Wyoming the full year and therefore meets the requirements for hunting as a resident.
If that were the case the hunter should purchase a resident small game license and carry on.

wyosteve

WKR
The OP says he is hunting on a 'non-resident' tag, which I assume means he has a non-resident hunting license which would not allow him to use that tag to hunt in wilderness. He would only have a non-resident tag if he didn't qualify as a resident for hunting purposes.

sharpbb14

FNG
Im in the same boat. I am going to be hunting off a NR tag despite being a State resident. I talked to game and fish when I first got here 4 month ago about that exact situation. Anything to do with hunting or fishing you have to live here a full year before gaining a "residence" benefits. That includes hunting the wilderness. You will still need accompaniment until you live here a full year.

The OP says he is hunting on a 'non-resident' tag, which I assume means he has a non-resident hunting license which would not allow him to use that tag to hunt in wilderness. He would only have a non-resident tag if he didn't qualify as a resident for hunting purposes.
You’re not reading other posts. It is possible to be a legal resident but have purchased a non resident license prior to becoming a resident. If you have a Wyoming drivers license and a place of residency where you’ve been for the time required by F&G I’d shut up and go hunting wherever you please.

I would think even if you had to buy the NR tag at the time due to the time of residency in January, but prior to season (September) hitting that magic 1 year mark giving you privileges' on public "wilderness" designated land you'd be in the clear to go about your way. Would like to meet the warden that would say otherwise.

BFreed59

FNG
I was in the same situation when I moved to WY, gained resident status a few weeks after the resident draw application period closed so hunted with a NR tag I drew. I ended up deciding not to hunt the Wilderness area mainly due to there being good non-wilderness areas to hunt in the unit that it wasn't worth the chance to me.

KHNC

WKR
WYoming operates with 1 game warden per county correct? I think his name is Joe.

(a) No nonresident shall hunt big or trophy game animals on any designated wilderness area, as defined by federal or state law, in this state unless accompanied by a licensed professional guide or a resident guide.

So, based on that, I would verify you meet the definition for a resident (logic: if you're a resident, you can't be a non-resident).

Resident means: "a United States citizen or legal alien who meets the requirements specified in § 23-1-107 and rules of the Game and Fish Commission."

(x) "Nonresident" means any person not a resident;

23-1-107: https://wyoleg.gov/statutes/compress/title23.pdf

Dos Perros says: you're good to go!
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.