Wyoming Wilderness Area Question

Nope. Do people actually think they have rights to things in Wyoming? Lmao. The Cowboy state doesn’t give a $h1t about politically correct. It might as well be it’s own country. I don’t like the wilderness law anymore than anyone else. But I’ve learned to accept the things I cannot change. And I’m certainly not from the entitled generation!
It’s a bullshit law, everyone knows it. Even the people who like it and benefit from it know it’s bullshit whether they admit it out loud or not.

It’s land we own and wildlife owned by all of us, Wyoming just manages it. The feds could end it tomorrow if they wanted.

University of Montana scolarly article on the subject that effectively debunks the notion that the Feds don’t get a say in State management

Our founders fought tooth and nail to no longer live under bullshit laws. I wouldn’t call them entitled.

The only reason the Wyoming wilderness law exists is because collectively as hunters we allow it to exist.

It would be gone post haste if we made enough noise about it, but everyone seems to be too afraid to because some guy on the internet said “there is nothing we can do, it’s Wyoming’s prerogative.”

Last edited:

Laramie

WKR
Saw the answer posted earlier.. but why would a hunter apply as a non resident of they were going to be a full resident by the time season opened? Why not wait and buy a general tag otc once gaining residency?

luckydraw2014

Lil-Rokslider
What magical thing happens to a person after they have lived in Wyoming for a year that they are suddenly qualified to guide themselves in a wilderness?

This has me wondering if after years of outdoor experience in similar (and even harsher) environments, I must have missed some special knowledge that Wyoming residents have.
On day 366 of your residency, the bears no longer look at you as food so your good to go solo

EdP

WKR
I would not ask. If you ask recognize you are asking a bureaucrat. The only job of a bureaucrat is to tell you "no." If the answer was "yes" what is the purpose of the bureaucrat? You have a valid license and can show that you meet residency. If a GW wants to give you a ticket say "OK, I'll see you in court."

Saw the answer posted earlier.. but why would a hunter apply as a non resident of they were going to be a full resident by the time season opened? Why not wait and buy a general tag otc once gaining residency?
I was wondering the same thing but figured it must be a LQ license that had to be applied for by the deadline.

Archer86

WKR
It’s a bullshit law, everyone knows it. Even the people who like it and benefit from it know it’s bullshit whether they admit it out loud or not.

It’s land we own and wildlife owned by all of us, Wyoming just manages it. The feds could end it tomorrow if they wanted.

University of Montana scolarly article on the subject that effectively debunks the notion that the Feds don’t get a say in State management

Our founders fought tooth and nail to no longer live under bullshit laws. I wouldn’t call them entitled.

The only reason the Wyoming wilderness law exists is because collectively as hunters we allow it to exist.

It would be gone post haste if we made enough noise about it, but everyone seems to be too afraid to because some guy on the internet said “there is nothing we can do, it’s Wyoming’s prerogative.”
I dont get what you are trying to push here you think wyoming should have no say in the management of the wildlife or any state for that matter and it should all be in federal hands? Want to see how that ends up look at every state that has crappy hunting that's what will happen everywhere fed can't do anything good.

I dont really care for the wilderness rule I had to deal with it up until this year and guess what even though I will be able to hunt wilderness areas I most likely won't its over run with outfitters. I want to know what special stuff happens in the wilderness to make everyone think its so great.

Even if it where to get overturned that's the best way to guarantee a outfitter draw in wyoming or regulate specific regions to be for resident/ outfitted nr only alaska currently has a guide rule I am sure wyoming could follow something down that law also I guarantee they would figure out away to get tags and it would be at the expense of NR just be careful what you wish for.

On another note who is excited for Colorado to announce 90 10 no otc NR TAGS and a outfitter draw at least it will take the heat off wyoming....

bdan68

WKR
I would guess if a person had accumulated several points, he may want to use those points for a good limited quota hunt, before becoming a resident, as the points would then be useless.

Archer86

WKR
I would guess if a person had accumulated several points, he may want to use those points for a good limited quota hunt, before becoming a resident, as the points would then be useless.
I used it for a cow tag I had to apply as a nr as I was a few weeks late to meet resident status for the resident draw deadline I had a bunch of points but all the tags I could get I will be able to buy as a resident otc now so I choose to loose the points you guys are welcome one less in the NR pool.

I dont get what you are trying to push here you think wyoming should have no say in the management of the wildlife or any state for that matter and it should all be in federal hands? Want to see how that ends up look at every state that has crappy hunting that's what will happen everywhere fed can't do anything good.

I dont really care for the wilderness rule I had to deal with it up until this year and guess what even though I will be able to hunt wilderness areas I most likely won't its over run with outfitters. I want to know what special stuff happens in the wilderness to make everyone think its so great.

Even if it where to get overturned that's the best way to guarantee a outfitter draw in wyoming or regulate specific regions to be for resident/ outfitted nr only alaska currently has a guide rule I am sure wyoming could follow something down that law also I guarantee they would figure out away to get tags and it would be at the expense of NR just be careful what you wish for.

On another note who is excited for Colorado to announce 90 10 no otc NR TAGS and a outfitter draw at least it will take the heat off wyoming....
No I don’t think states should give up management. State management has worked out really well for all of us for a long time.

But like anything it’s prone to corruption if there aren’t appropriate checks and balances. I feel like the fact nonresidents have zero say on state management and our only state level “advocate” being the outfitter lobby is starting to bite us in the ass collectively. Does that mean the feds need to step in and take over!? Absolutely not.

But I’d support federal legislation that banned outfitter welfare (wilderness rule, outfitter set aside, etc) on federal land. Residents should absolutely have priority in their own state, and states should get huge leeway in how they manage, but we’re starting to see the need for left and right lateral limits so to speak.

I know that isn’t necessarily a popular opinion, but unless we tackle some of this shit head on I don’t like where hunting is headed in this county.

OP
FlareBlitz91

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
I’m the originator of the thread here, the one year residency requirement is only for Game and Fish, i was asking because you can be a resident for other purposes much sooner, drivers license, registration, etc.

I didn’t draw the tag that made me ask this question so I guess next year the conundrum of just buy a general OTC or share points with my dad will apply.

OP
FlareBlitz91

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
You guys are new to this I take it. First of all the state of Wyoming NEVER said there was a danger factor. Obviously there are even flatlanders more capable of traversing and hunting wilderness areas than some uncoordinated out of shape Wyoming residents with zero common sense. They would probably be in danger walking the streets of New York. Wyoming stands with a smug look on its face saying we need not explain to anyone why non residents are required to hire an outfitter to hunt. If you need an explanation you probably shouldn’t hunt there! It’s simple and obvious.

As far as liking to see it before a judge and jury…. No, you wouldn’t want to see that. The person who broke the law would be found guilty in 30 seconds. I live in Pa. I was formerly a back country outfitter in Montana. Telling a judge about my lifetime of experience with living and hunting in actual designated wilderness areas would only make it take 2 minutes for them to find me guilty instead of 30 seconds.

Wyoming owes nothing to anyone. They are not concerned with winning a popularity contest. Don’t like it? You can boycott them. Someone else will take your place in line. The sooner people learn all this and accept it the sooner you can move on with your lives. Yes it’s bullshit. But the state does own the wildlife and has the right to manage it any way they choose. Sometimes facts of life aren’t easy to swallow.

On the bright side if you know someone who is a Wyoming resident none of this matters. In addition to that there’s plenty of great hunting opportunities outside of wilderness areas.
The state can manage the wildlife but has no say in managing federal public lands, which is the issue here, they are open for recreation to all of us for any number of things, for the state to say we can’t for one single sub category of hunting is arbitrary and dumb.

This wouldn’t be a case of the judge taking two minutes to deliberate but somebody asking an advocacy group for help and an appeal with expensive lawyers and all that. Whoever does it would be martyring themselves, like that elderly gentleman down in Colorado fighting stream access laws, but that’s the way laws/courts work.

Poser

WKR
The state can manage the wildlife but has no say in managing federal public lands, which is the issue here, they are open for recreation to all of us for any number of things, for the state to say we can’t for one single sub category of hunting is arbitrary and dumb.

This wouldn’t be a case of the judge taking two minutes to deliberate but somebody asking an advocacy group for help and an appeal with expensive lawyers and all that. Whoever does it would be martyring themselves, like that elderly gentleman down in Colorado fighting stream access laws, but that’s the way laws/courts work.

At this point, considering the WY SC has ruled on the matter, you’d likely have to get the case into federal appeals to make any changes. I’m not sure if you could get such a case beyond state appeals.

The best and most viable course of action is to punish the outfitters by starting a nationwide educational campaign and getting enough hunters on board to effectively boycott outfitters in the state of WY and out then out of business.

OP
FlareBlitz91

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
At this point, considering the WY SC has ruled on the matter, you’d likely have to get the case into federal appeals to make any changes. I’m not sure if you could get such a case beyond state appeals.

The best and most viable course of action is to punish the outfitters by starting a nationwide educational campaign and getting enough hunters on board to effectively boycott outfitters in the state of WY and out then out of business.
Their ruling was 35 years ago now and as stated it was done partially with the obviously ridiculous argument that it was for “safety.”

Wyoming has since passed a constitutional amendment guaranteeing the right to hunt, fish, and trap.

Their ruling was 35 years ago now and as stated it was done partially with the obviously ridiculous argument that it was for “safety.”

Wyoming has since passed a constitutional amendment guaranteeing the right to hunt, fish, and trap.
Guaranteeing it to who and where???

We can all enjoy the wilderness in many different ways. Just not hunting. It’s not about land management. It’s about wildlife management. Supposedly! That they have the rights to. You’d need wealthy financial backers to expect to get anywhere. But anyone with enough money for that is too smart to e even go there. You better know people in DC and a few good lawyers with nothing better to do. It’d be more realistic to move to Wyoming and establish a legal residency.

amassi

WKR
Just flood these outfitter oasis with hikers and fishermen until the problem goes away

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk