Wyoming with 5points

BrettJolly

Lil-Rokslider
Hello, my wife and I both have 5 antelope points in Wyoming. Actually 5 points of nearly every species. We are considering using those points this fall and trying to get an idea on some good units we could attempt to draw. Not opposed to putting in for the special draw. Not looking for hotspots, but just good units to use 5 points on. Thanks!!!!

Trial153

WKR
This gets so freaking tiring from new posters. Go find or own shit or contribute to this community by helping other before you expect to have members come on here and hold your hand picking out units for you. At the very least have some pointed questions that show you’d at least put some thought and effort in.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
With 5 points and special draw you can probably go almost anywhere you want. I'd explore what part of WY you'd like to hunt and what experience you'd like and then put in for that unit.

With 5 points and special draw you can probably go almost anywhere you want. I'd explore what part of WY you'd like to hunt and what experience you'd like and then put in for that unit.
Dang the special draw increases your odds that much? theres units i hunted with 5 a few years ago you cant even touch with 8-9.

KINGSNAKE

WKR
Spend some money and subscribe to written publication on wyoming to start your look. Or you can do your own with wyoming draw odds and looking at maps. Do you want to kill a good antelope or just any antelope. 5 points will get you a tag but it won't get the tag it would have gotten you five years back. I have hunted wyoming antelope 4 times in the past dozen years. Definitely point creep happening and I keep finding new units to draw. I personally don't belive in building antelope points forever like deer and elk. Go hunt is a good resource. I think Eastman does a good job writting up wyoming antelope, they live there. Huntin fool is another resource. On x maps. Or before on x I would Google and preview maps to see how much public a unit had.on my topo preview look. Lots of information out there, buy some and decide how you want to hunt.

well_known_rokslider

Lil-Rokslider
I realize it's a harsh response but the fact is that draw odds are available with a pretty basic web search and if you search the forums for "not asking for a honey hole/hot spots" you will find a million posts with zero responses. Your best bet is to put in a certain level of ground work doing research and asking specific questions that show that you have done that research.

OP
BrettJolly

BrettJolly

Lil-Rokslider
This gets so freaking tiring from new posters. Go find or own shit or contribute to this community by helping other before you expect to have members come on here and hold your hand picking out units for you. At the very least have some pointed questions that show you’d at least put some thought and effort in.
Also, I have done quite a bit of research already and am trying to narrow it down. I guess I should have included that in my post. Again, I apologize for my curiosity. When I have some more direct questions I’ll get back to ya...

wapitibob

WKR
All the areas that took over 4 last year are perceived to be better than those that took 4 or less. I hunt there every year and if you plan to hunt, look at 4 or just over 4 point areas and study those. There won't be a whole lot of difference; this stuff has been picked over for 16 years and it's all pretty much shaken out. If you have onX elite you have complimentary subs to toprut and huntin fool.

EdP

WKR
Everything you need to know to make a decision about odds and opportunities and public access and animal quality is available on the Wy G&F website. It does take quite a bit of work to find but most who have been on the site have put in the time to do that work and don't really appriciate someone asking for their results w/o contributing first, or at least showing that they have put in some significant work themselves. Given that you have spent 5 years buying points I would think you have put in some work. Ask for specifics about certain units and you may get some more useful responses. I will tell you that I hunted mule deer in the Shirley Mtns (deer unit 70) in 2021 and the area had a lot of pronghorn and the pronghorn unit took 5 points to draw. There was not much nearby for someone that wanted to do a DIY via hotel.

If you have 5 points and want to hunt antelope in Wyoming, you won’t have trouble killing a couple. It’s not very difficult, so don’t overthink it. Pick a unit and have fun.

My wife and I put in the special this past October with 4 points and had a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BrettJolly

BrettJolly

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had it somewhat narrowed down to 27 73,74, and 75. Used onX and the WY fish and game site as well as many Google searches, some of which tend to contradict each other. Gets to be a lot to decipher. Just curious about camping areas in those units, on blm can camp anywhere right? How about hunter pressure?

Also, I’ve been searching for the answer to this and again getting some conflicting info. Curious about second choice units? If I apply for a unit that takes 5 or more points as a first choice, and apply to a unit that requires less as a second choice do I lose my points on the second choice? To keep points does the second unit have to require 0 points? Or can the second just be less than first and I keep my points? How does that work? Am I better off just applying for another 4-5pt unit as a second choice?

I realize these questions should have been in my original post. Lol

Last edited:
OP
BrettJolly

BrettJolly

Lil-Rokslider
So I could apply first choice for a unit that required 5 or 6 points, not draw it, and then second choice a unit that requires 2,3 or 4 points. Draw the 4 point unit and not lose my points?

Do the points I have, have any influence on my second choice? Or does second just random with no point influence?

Does the special draw have any influences on second choice? Give better chance of drawing a second choice unit?

Thank you for info!