Wyoming

desertcj

WKR
Hey guys, my buddy and I drew this tag this year. This will be my second trip to Wyoming so I basically know what to expect. My main question for anyone that might know, what kind of trophy quality should I expect in this unit? Should I settle for the first decent buck I find or keep looking for something pretty nice?

When I went in 2017, I killed a high 60s buck on a leftover tag. I also saw a couple big boys in the same unit, on private of course...lol. I was happy to fill my tag with a decent buck at the time. If there's a decent chance at a pretty nice buck, I don't want to drop the first 60 incher I see this time though. You can PM me if you'd prefer, but I'd really appreciate some feedback either way. Thanks---Phil

Any unit in WY can produce some great bucks. I would personally look for a buck you like and that you are happy with. If that is bigger than your last buck or and 80” goat is up to you. Unit 42 should have some decent bucks in it though. Have a good map or OnX and look for some out of the way spots.

OP
desertcj

desertcj

WKR
I do have a BLM overlay GPS. Not OnX because they royally screwed me with their update right before hunting season a few years ago and lost ALL of my scouting data! I know what you mean though, some antelope just look good even if they aren't record book trophies.

JWP58

WKR
This was a good year for growth, and you'll be in a great area. It's up to you if you want to shoot the first one you see or not.

archp625

WKR
If I were you the first day I would drive around a survey the animals in your unit. Once you know what you are working with day two should be easy.

I will say on day one if you see one you really like I would take it. To me when you see the monster you will know.

OP
desertcj

desertcj

WKR
I ended up killing a decent buck. I'm sure there was probably some better ones running around but people were dropping bucks left and right. Kinda like musical chairs....I didn't want to be left without a chair or have to shoot one of the dinks running around...lol

Attachments

• 20191006_153053_1570492143265.png
    20191006_153053_1570492143265.png
    820.6 KB · Views: 170
OP
desertcj

desertcj

WKR
It's only 13" high, but that puts the d3 measurement on the fat portion of horn below the prongs.

archp625

WKR
Lo
I ended up killing a decent buck. I'm sure there was probably some better ones running around but people were dropping bucks left and right. Kinda like musical chairs....I didn't want to be left without a chair or have to shoot one of the dinks running around...lol
Looks like a really good buck. I would be happy if I were you.