Wyoming

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I currently have 6 points for moose in Wyoming. I just did some quick math and there are 5700 people with 6 points up to 20 pts. So should I bail out of this and start a savings for Canadian or Alaskan moose hunt. Right now WY is giving out 72 tags to non residents. Even if that number doubles assuming the moose come back some day in wyoming it's gonna take forever to get through 5000 plus permits.

wyosteve

WKR
I think you'd be money ahead to stop buying preference points given the status of our moose herd. I have 13 pts. as a resident and will likely never draw a bull tag again.

jm1607

WKR
@ 6 points I'd stay in it.. Who knows how many tags they'll give out in the future.. It could increase.. Or they could change their system.. And you could always win one in the random draw, assuming you aren't just buying points

Last edited:
Not only are your odds of drawing terrible the chances of finding a good bull might even be worse.
I haven't seen a nice bull in a while and I am out all summer and usually take off a majority of the hunting season from work.
If I wanted to shoot a moose Id spend my money on a hunt in Canada or Alaska

Topgun 30-06

Banned
No way if I was at 6PPs would I keep playing the game for a bull tag that you'll never draw. However, there are 8 units offering a cow tag and all can be drawn with just a few PPs. With the 6PPs you have I'd be drawing a cow tag for unit 34 this Fall in the BigHorns west of Buffalo and get out of the rat race. We see moose right along the highway between Buffalo and the high country in 34 many times on our drive across that highway in the Fall over to where we hunt every year.

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
Interesting idea but the downside is Wyoming still wants 1400 for a cow and the average days hunted is quite high. I'm not sure I have the time to put into a cow hunt.

Sadly our moose population has suffered really bad. Not to be negative. I have 14 points and I am hoping to draw a permit in a couple years (10-25). With that said, my uncle draws a tag every 3-4 years. I have no clue how he does it. He can draw a moose tag but nothing else. Two years ago we hunted for a month. The biggest bull we saw was 24 inches wide. That ended up on the table. It doesn't mean the big Bulls are gone, it means they are just really hard to find. Like all game in Wyoming, when populations are low you have to try unorthodox methods and go deep to find the game.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Moose in the BigHorns certainly aren't suffering and that's why they are offering some cow tags. If you have the time to spend to chase a bull, I can't see why you couldn't allot even less time to shoot a cow. Sure the tag is $1400, but you already have some coin into your PPs and IMHO it would be better to at least fill a freezer full of good meat and have a neat experience than just toss those PPs in file 13! Horns aren't everything and you could then start saving for a Canada or Alaska hunt to get a bull in a few years.

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I certainly haven't totally discarded the idea of a cow moose hunt but not this year. We are putting in NM for elk and should have decent odds at good tag. Like 30%. So I'm playing the WY moose game one more year. I applied today and I'm 99% sure I won't draw. But like my favorite line from dumb and dumber goes. "So your telling me there's a chance. I read ya. I read ya."

Tndude

FNG
No way if I was at 6PPs would I keep playing the game for a bull tag that you'll never draw. However, there are 8 units offering a cow tag and all can be drawn with just a few PPs. With the 6PPs you have I'd be drawing a cow tag for unit 34 this Fall in the BigHorns west of Buffalo and get out of the rat race. We see moose right along the highway between Buffalo and the high country in 34 many times on our drive across that highway in the Fall over to where we hunt every year.
Top gun. I drew a unit 34 bull tag after 23 years, 22 PP’s. Have you been in the area or know anybody that has? Looking for tips where to start scouting. Also need local with pack mules.

Tndude

FNG
I drew a unit 34 bull tag this year with 22 PP’s. Anybody have info about the area or has hunted there?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
TopGun won’t be giving you any info. He died a few years ago. Congratulations on your tag.