Wyoming

I have never been hunting for antelope, to be honest have never even been interested. However this spring I have a sudden strong interest. This fall I will be traveling to western Wyoming to hunt elk but tempted to add a day on to the trip for a day or two dedicated to antelope. I know eastern and central areas offer more tags but with less public land. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DO you have any points built up for Antelope in Wy? That will really help figure out the best area to try for.

OP
Y
I don't have any points. I'm not looking for a trophy buck. I'd be happy with a doe.

Cantharellus

Lil-Rokslider
As long as you're willing to put in a little more work than most other antelope hunters you can be pretty successful with the leftover reduced price doe/fawn tags.

I grabbed one last year, made some phone calls, bought some maps, figured out where I could access (WGFD game warden for the area was the most helpful), parked on the road that all the other hunters drive up and down, hiked 2 miles and woke up to a herd of 20 in the meadow below my camping spot.

Planning on doing that hunt again this year with two doe tags.

I only have hunted in unit 55, near Rawlins, and if you can get a doe tag in that area, you will have no issue tagging a doe! Probably in any of the surrounding areas would be great. Antelope are great eating, I know I have heard otherwise, but my experience on the 6 we have tagged was they were all great, very mild almost too mild!

JWP58

WKR
I have never been hunting for antelope, to be honest have never even been interested. However this spring I have a sudden strong interest. This fall I will be traveling to western Wyoming to hunt elk but tempted to add a day on to the trip for a day or two dedicated to antelope. I know eastern and central areas offer more tags but with less public land. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Go to the Wyoming game and fish website. Research areas, quotas, draw reports, access, etc. It will be pretty clear what to apply for if you don't have any preference points. Good luck and have fun, antelope is one of the best tasting critters out there.

wjohnson1983

Lil-Rokslider
antelope is one of the best tasting critters out there.

I'm sitting here eating an antelope steak for lunch as I read this :)

Last year was my first ever antelope hunt. We had an any antelope tag for 25 and a doe tag in 61. From what I saw, you won't have any problem seeing antelope. Study maps that will show you public access. There's lot of road hunters too.

OP
Y
I guess I should have added I will be driving from Vermont this fall. I have purchased OnXmaps and subscribed to hunt insider to help study areas not only for my elk tag but now antelope. I guess I was looking for info that can't be found on the computer. The do's and dont's. Can I get it done in a day on my way to elk hunt or plan better for next year? I watch all these shows: MeatEater, Hushin, Randy Newberg, and I want to hunt all the time.

Murdy

WKR
I've only done it once, but a day seems like it would be hard. Took me a little while to get familiar with the area, even after map and Google Earth scouting. However, I wouldn't think it's impossible. On the other hand, doe tags are so cheap, if you have an extra day, why not? If nothing else, you'll get some good on the ground intel for next year.

204guy

WKR
It could certainly be easy enough to kill an antelope in 1 day if you're not picky. I would be thinking logistics of what are you going to do with one you shoot before your elk hunt?

OP
Y
It could certainly be easy enough to kill an antelope in 1 day if you're not picky. I would be thinking logistics of what are you going to do with one you shoot before your elk hunt?

This will be my third year out. Cow elk first year, mule deer last year and general elk this year. I have made friends at Hog Island meats and love the work they do.

WKR
Easy to kill one in a day of you aren't picky. I bet I could have one dead in less than an hour from my living room 99% of the year.

OP
Y
Easy to kill one in a day of you aren't picky. I bet I could have one dead in less than an hour from my living room 99% of the year.

Sounds great! I'm not picky at all. I'll stop in for dinner on my way through and we can get it done. Hahaha. I wish it was all that easy.

JWP58

WKR
This year it took about 20mins from the time I started hiking until I shot an avg. buck (in a good limited draw area mind you). I had a day to get it done. Woke up at 3am, drove 2.5hrs, had a buck down in 20mins and on ice in an hour.

Realistically in an area with limited access I'd give myself at least a day and a half to get one down just in case you have to try more than one spot.

Shooting one on opening morning shouldn't be a problem. The last two years me and my brother have killed one within the first hour on the opener. After that, the antelope get a little skittish, making sometimes long shots, even longer. Practice shooting in the wind, it never stops blowing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
If you want a doe no problem filling your tag. PP are not required for doe tags and all are in the random draw. Pick an area close to your elk hunt and apply for doe tags or pick an area along your travel route and apply for doe tags. You should be able to fill a doe tag in a day or 2 max. The G&F interactive map shows the areas with lots of public access. You might draw a tag along I-80 and there are plenty of antelope.

WKR
Yankee;

I'm no expert hunter either. Took me 3 years to kill a bull elk with my bow. By contrast, I killed a decent, but not great, antelope buck in less than an hour of hunting, with my mom and my 2 daughters along for the ride. That hunt was my first big game kill of any sort and happened at 125 yards, shooting off hand with my rather energetic 8 year old daughter popping out from behind the sage brush I tried to get her to hide behind about every 10 seconds. Killing any available antelope is not going to be a problem for you unless you choose a really bad place, or are really unlucky.

OP
Y
d1f58f213b9460ed1b2e6054b796f4a9.jpg

OP
Y
413bd4190579f444cd7ad80303eca668.jpg
This is my hunting summed up in a few pictures.