Wyoming's Bighorn mtn elk

DRUSS

WKR
Guys,
I will be trying to draw this year and should be able to get a type 9 tag for up in the Bighorns this season. I was hoping to hear from guys who have hunted the area what there experiences were like? Would they go again? How crowded does it get in the units with only type 9 tags available for archery season? Has anyone used a place in Sheridan for hanging meat, if so was it a good place?
TIA

TheTone

WKR
Curious as well. I’m pretty confident I could draw with the points I have but have read so many mixed things regarding realistic bull quality and amount of people in the area hunting, hiking, camping etc

Expect company and a lot of it labor day weekend. i.e Lots of ATV sxs campers etc. Not hunters just weekend warriors.
I'd go back if for nothing else; the trees are green and healthy in the bighorns so there is way less dead fall. I hunted a low point unit and had a pretty good time. Heard bugles pretty much every morning/evening and had one real good opportunity on a real nice 300-310 class 6 point.
Seems like everybody complains about pressure there, even the "glory" tags.
Remember that the type 9 really only gets you the first two weeks of season without the other type 1/Gen guys. And for whatever reason I saw a ton of residents carrying crossbows in that area for some reason, FYI.
Talked to a guy last year who hunted one of the coveted high point units on a type 9 the year before, and he was very disappointed with the experience for 10+ points invested. Maybe it was a off year. He still tagged out though.

There is good elk hunting and good bulls in pretty much every unit. You gotta get after it though. Be ready for a challenge.

4rcgoat

WKR
Expect company and a lot of it labor day weekend. i.e Lots of ATV sxs campers etc. Not hunters just weekend warriors.
I'd go back if for nothing else; the trees are green and healthy in the bighorns so there is way less dead fall. I hunted a low point unit and had a pretty good time. Heard bugles pretty much every morning/evening and had one real good opportunity on a real nice 300-310 class 6 point.
Seems like everybody complains about pressure there, even the "glory" tags.
Remember that the type 9 really only gets you the first two weeks of season without the other type 1/Gen guys. And for whatever reason I saw a ton of residents carrying crossbows in that area for some reason, FYI.
Talked to a guy last year who hunted one of the coveted high point units on a type 9 the year before, and he was very disappointed with the experience for 10+ points invested. Maybe it was a off year. He still tagged out though.

There is good elk hunting and good bulls in pretty much every unit. You gotta get after it though. Be ready for a challenge.
Yeah the crossbows are getting ridiculous
I get it if you cant pull a bow,but i see too many capable people using them....rifle hunters turned archers for 1 month.

jmez

WKR
It's crowded. Problem with a type 9 tag is weather. It is going to be hot up there early Sept. Even with a type 9 tag I'd go the third week of Sept. Elk will only be out at first and last light if it's hot, and it will be hot.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

justin84

Lil-Rokslider
It's crowded. Problem with a type 9 tag is weather. It is going to be hot up there early Sept. Even with a type 9 tag I'd go the third week of Sept. Elk will only be out at first and last light if it's hot, and it will be hot.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Yes it will, and then it’ll snow a foot 😆