Wyoming’s Wilderness Area Nonresident Restrictions

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
I for one think that it’s high time that the Wyoming Game and Fish Department re-evaluate their rule on not allowing nonresidents to hunt designated wilderness areas without being accompanied by a guide.

They have stated many reasons why they have initiated this rule but I feel that it is truly a racket brought about by both the outfitters to drum up business and residents to keep nonresidents out of the state prime hunting areas.

Let’s look at how Wyoming’s game and fish has led the way, more so than any other western state in my opinion, of creatively drumming up ways to extract more and more money from nonresidents for the opportunity to hunt their state. The special draw, the preference point system and exorbitant tag prices. If you don’t believe me crunch the numbers. Wyoming leads all the other states in the greatest discrepancy in cost between resident and nonresident tag costs.

I am sure that this post will get both the Wyoming outfitting industry and the Wyoming resident hunters in an uproar but it is time for a change and if nothing is said then they will have no reason to change this ridiculous law and level the hunting opportunities in Wyoming between the resident and nonresident hunters. The Wyoming elk application period is right around the corner. I currently have 5 preference points for elk but I am done applying until this unfair greed driven law is done away with. Everyone should take my lead and drop Wyoming and support states like Colorado, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico and Idaho which offer greater opportunities at a better price for it nonresident hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4ester

WKR
But you don’t hear people complaining about Alaska with the same policy on certain animals?

I bet your really gonna be pissed when you find out the elk draw isn’t until May this year.

Go ahead and boycott WY. The guys standing in line behind you will have big smiles.

amassi

WKR
I wish people actually knew what they were talking about before complaining on the internet.

Wyoming game and fish has nothing to do with the wilderness rule, it’s implementation, nor the ability to change it.
Interesting: who implemented the rule?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
E

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
I never saw a problem with it, states gotta look out for their residents and there's plenty of ground to hunt.

The state already does enough for their residents. Look at the resident tag prices need I say more and if they want to give the outfitters an advantage do like NM and allocate a portion of the tags to hunters who sign with them before the draw. It is not fair to block me from public land that my federal tax dollars help to maintain.

OP
E

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
I don't really see either AK or WY ever changing. No incentive to do so. It is BS tho, no arguing that

You are really going to compare WY to AK. I would feel very comfortable hunting WY backcountry solo. AK is a totally different animal. MT doesn’t block nonresidents from hunting their most rugged lands and I don’t think that there are very many incidents.

amassi

WKR
The state legislature.
It was implemented at the behest of the outfitters association. Game and fish can’t lobby for or against bills before the legislature.
So residents didn't vote on it? Agree that state agencies dont lobby but hopefully the wardens and biologist offered some input and the legislature used that to shape their decision on how to vote.
Prior to the implementation were there non resident back country conflicts?

States should set their own rules based on the input of their residents. Nonresidents opinions don’t mean much.

I’m an Idaho resident and have plans to hunt Wyoming and other western states in the next few years. It’s not my place to say anything about how Wyoming runs things. I should just be grateful they give some tags to nonresidents. They could give zero and it would be understandable.

wapitibob

WKR
A state has every right to discriminate against non residents with regard to hunting. It’s been tested in court but you’re certainly welcome to break out the check book and test it again. Like it or not, we non residents are on the short end in 49 states.

Extrapale

WKR
I don't apply for Wyoming and I never have. The wilderness rule is the reason I don't. Total BS.

I stopped applying for New Mexico when they started their latest outfitter welfare program.

I quit applying for Utah when I realized all the non-resident tags given to the crooks running the expo.

I know those staes don't give a rip about me or my money. They have guys beating down their doors to hunt there.

I get plenty of tags in other states to burn all my vacation and then some.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
I feel that Wyoming is pretty welcoming to non residents but I hunt ugly general tag country void of back country and Grizzlies
Tag prices are extremely reasonable
I dont have to purchase a license to get a point
Game is managed exceptionally well
Access is easy and the state helps facilitate access of gma/ walk in areas

Nobody is prevented from accessing and being on the land. Just from hunting animals on it. Animals that are managed by the state.

It sucks for us non residents but Wyoming has great hunting for me so I shut my mouth and deal with it. I think they’re more than generous to non residents already. Name one other state you can go and lay the wood to a buck antelope and 2 does for under $500? Pretty good deal if you ask me. I wish some more people would boycott Wyoming so I could draw elk general season more often. The fact that they throw a bone to their outfitters and residents doesn’t keep me up at night. In fact I wish Idaho (my home state) would look out for residents a little more than they do currently.

The state already does enough for their residents. Look at the resident tag prices need I say more and if they want to give the outfitters an advantage do like NM and allocate a portion of the tags to hunters who sign with them before the draw. It is not fair to block me from public land that my federal tax dollars help to maintain.

You aren’t blocked from it, you are free to hike and camp or fish by yourself, anything but hunt.