Wyoming’s Wilderness Area Nonresident Restrictions

A. Doesn't matter what you believe, the cases have been tried and the courts repeatedly side with the right of the States to discriminate against NR hunters and find the laws to be constitutional. Like it or not, believe what you want, but that's the way we do battle, in court.

B. If you believe in the right of the State to manage game as they see fit, then the wilderness guide law is something you should have no problem with. Plus, you aren't not being extorted or forced in any way to hunt or even apply for a tag where wilderness exists. You know what the law says, you know what the limitations are to access Wyoming's wildlife within designated wilderness. Further, you are not being denied access to Federal Land...only access to Wyoming's big and trophy game.

C. The feds stepping in to create fairness to the individual is a liberal concept, period. Again, anything not delegated to the Federal Government is within the States right to govern as they see fit. Where in the constitution or bill of rights does the Federal Government have authority to manage a states wildlife? There are 3 places where the feds retain those rights and those are retained via Acts of congress specific to 3 cases: 1. Migratory waterfowl 2. Anadromous fish and 3. Endangered species. Other than that, the states have the right to manage all other wildlife within their states border, under case law and the 10th, as they see fit. The individual is afforded the right to lobby the State in regard to how the wildlife is managed.

Ah yes, liberal, as in liberty. The classical form of liberalism.

I guess in that manner you can call me a liberal then.

I won’t be happy until a lesbian married Alaskan couple can hunt alone in Wyoming federal wilderness with a suppressed tax stamp free AR15 while smoking MJ. ;)

It was once “constitutional” to consider blacks 3/5 of a person and outlaw alcohol, it didn’t make it right.

Last edited:

BuzzH

WKR
Ah yes, liberal, as in liberty. The classical form of liberalism.

I guess in that manner you can call me a liberal then.

I won’t be happy until a lesbian married Alaskan couple can hunt alone in Wyoming federal wilderness with a suppressed tax stamp free AR15 while smoking MJ. ;)

I'm not calling you anything, I'm calling your concept/argument what it is.

Made it my signature line!

Yeah this discussion was getting a little too super serial, figured we needed to lighten the mood.

I'm not calling you anything, I'm calling your concept/argument what it is.

I seem to remember some conflict about the feds stepping in and trampling “States Rights” to protect the fair treatment of all citizens. Little foggy on it though, like you said I didn’t pay much attention in school.

Constitutional amendment to protect hunting and fishing access to federal lands? Maybe we can stick corner hopping in there too? (Insert mind blown GIF)

Yeah this discussion was getting a little too super serial, figured we needed to lighten the mood.

I seem to remember some conflict about the feds stepping in and trampling “States Rights” to protect the fair treatment of all citizens. Little foggy on it though, like you said I didn’t pay much attention in school.

Constitutional amendment to protect hunting and fishing access to federal lands? Maybe we can stick corner hopping in there too? (Insert mind blown GIF)

You don’t seem to know too much about the arguments you’re making. Some further reading of constitutional case law would be really instructive. What are liberty interests that are constitutionally protected, where state rights come into play, etc.

I’m not always the biggest Buzz fan (the style can be a bit aggressive and know-it-all for my taste) but I think he’s right on with this discussion. And, make no mistake, Buzz studies matters he discusses here more than just about any guy out there and actively participates in hunting issues. He should be respected.

You don’t seem to know too much about the arguments you’re making. Some further reading of constitutional case law would be really instructive. What are liberty interests that are constitutionally protected, where state rights come into play, etc.

I’m not always the biggest Buzz fan (the style can be a bit aggressive and know-it-all for my taste) but I think he’s right on with this discussion. And, make no mistake, Buzz studies matters he discusses here more than just about any guy out there and actively participates in hunting issues. He should be respected.

If he wanted respect, he could’ve respectfully pointed out why what I posted was wrong or wouldn’t legally work without insulting me. That whole respect ship sailed when that happened. I retorted back with some tongue in cheek humor.

Bottom line we all want the same thing, better access, better hunting, and more freedom to do so more places. We have a lot more in common than we do disagreements as hunters.

rob86jeep

WKR
So, for anybody that knows, what's the reason WY doesn't allow NR to hunt in Wilderness areas? Is it a safety issue, conservation issue, economic issue, I really don't know?

KurtR

WKR
So let’s say feds step in a change this. Then Wyoming says screw you feds we will give no tags to nr on wilderness take those tags give them all to outfitters to sell. Now the state is managing game as they see fit and you have access to hunt any where you want but now have to hire a outfitter because it’s the only way to get a tag. The law sucks but won’t change unless you get a quid pro quo maybe haha

blackdawg

WKR
So, for anybody that knows, what's the reason WY doesn't allow NR to hunt in Wilderness areas? Is it a safety issue, conservation issue, economic issue, I really don't know?

Strictly about protecting special interest groups “outfitters” ability to make money off the rich, some b.s. about how the non-residents couldn’t venture into these remote areas safely without help was used when they passed all these laws a long time ago, it’s basically the same program as leasing lands for exclusive access, pretty simple,,restrict access and protect the area from other hunters who might shoot some of the game, AKA the less affluent DIY types, same kind of rules in Alaska and Canada, nothing new, read the thread fully, especially Buzz’s comments and you should be able to get a grasp on the situation. Basically if you don’t have enough money or should I say “can afford to pay someone to hold your hand” your screwed in many cases when it comes to hunting big game in lots of places . I do think that Wyoming should make an exception for Wolf hunters in those big Wilderness areas before they eat the last few elks .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timeee123

Lil-Rokslider
It's a bs law and shows you the strong relationship between outfitters and DOW.
I'm from Wyoming, left Wyoming and lost my privileges. It sucked. Especially when you can do anything else except hunt.

BuzzH

WKR
It's a bs law and shows you the strong relationship between outfitters and the STATE LEGISLATURE.
I'm from Wyoming, left Wyoming and lost my privileges. It sucked. Especially when you can do anything else except hunt.

Fixed it for you...just for the record, in Wyoming, the Game and Fish is not allowed to lobby for or against legislation.

Timeee123

Lil-Rokslider
Fixed it for you...just for the record, in Wyoming, the Game and Fish is not allowed to lobby for or against legislation.
However you want to word it. I'm sure the game and fish is squeaky clean. Either way it benefits certain salaries.

Ralphie

WKR
Most non residents just don’t have the skills to be safe in our wilderness areas. Simple as that. Just looking out for your safety.

fatlander

WKR
Most non residents just don’t have the skills to be safe in our wilderness areas. Simple as that. Just looking out for your safety.

There’s no law keeping NR out of the wilderness. . . Just stopping them from hunting.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone ever been prosecuted for breaking this law? Seems impossible to enforce.

BuzzH

WKR
Has anyone ever been prosecuted for breaking this law? Seems impossible to enforce.

Yes, many times.

To clarify, the only animals a NR cant hunt in Wyoming Wilderness without a guide or a Resident Guide license are big and trophy game.

204guy

WKR
Who do you guide for Ralpie?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk