Wyoming’s Wilderness Area Nonresident Restrictions

Most non residents just don’t have the skills to be safe in our wilderness areas. Simple as that. Just looking out for your safety.

Man I guess Montana, Idaho, Colorado, etc etc just must have tons of nonresidents getting hurt or killed wandering into those scary wilderness areas.

Also, newsflash, you can get just as messed up in non wilderness areas.

Mtnboy

WKR
Most non residents just don’t have the skills to be safe in our wilderness areas. Simple as that. Just looking out for your safety.

This is so far from the truth its ridiculous. If it was for "safety" then non-residents wouldn't be allowed in those areas for anything...the fact non-res are allowed to do any activity except hunt in the Wilderness makes it blatantly clear that this law is in place as WELFARE for the Outfitters!

Which one do you work for by the way?

Clarktar

WKR
I needed a good laugh this morning!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Go Pokes

Lil-Rokslider
I think Ralphie just needed a post or two to buy something on classifieds. WOW we got into case law, politics and privilege, Civics classes....I don't think its been called that since the abacus was used by in China. Oh there was also Idaho vs Wyoming and my dad and beat up you Dad bla bla bla. Everyone has opinions on why it exists, wether its fair or not because its "Your" land and who benefits from it. Rights are rights and you have the right to hunt this great state (And many choose to do so) and the State has the right to make regulations (And it chooses to do so) like it or not, legal is legal. Here is what I have learned from all of this ..... I could charge alot of Hamms beer to take NR into the Wilderness areas ..... hmmmm ..... business plan time. Just kidding

Azone

WKR
Alot of good points mentioned in this thread. But my view on the law is that its solely to force people to spend money (alot of it in most cases) to hunt in wilderness areas with Wyoming residents that own these businesses. Its jack shit to do with safety and more a state sanctioned form of extortion. Or just the state looking out for the best interest of its citizens depending how you look at it.
Were all pro capitalism until it screws us huh?
But we are always wanting to do what we please in this country and Wyoming is doing just that with THEIR state owned animals. Pay to play or go pound sand, plain and simple when it comes to wilderness areas.
If memory serves someone in the mule deer forum is renting rooms out. Cheap way to become a resident and go get all the wilderness experience you want.

Azone

WKR
I think Ralphie just needed a post or two to buy something on classifieds. WOW we got into case law, politics and privilege, Civics classes....I don't think its been called that since the abacus was used by in China. Oh there was also Idaho vs Wyoming and my dad and beat up you Dad bla bla bla. Everyone has opinions on why it exists, wether its fair or not because its "Your" land and who benefits from it. Rights are rights and you have the right to hunt this great state (And many choose to do so) and the State has the right to make regulations (And it chooses to do so) like it or not, legal is legal. Here is what I have learned from all of this ..... I could charge alot of Hamms beer to take NR into the Wilderness areas ..... hmmmm ..... business plan time. Just kidding

How much Hamms do I need to show up with?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
So how is the state “managing” a unit that is 1/2 Wilderness? 1/4 wilderness? 3/4 wilderness? There are few if any that are ALL wilderness. Just call it what it is; outfitter welfare and move on. I get irritated when the “safety” card is played because it is BS.

OP
E

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider

That my friends is a horse cock sandwich if I ever saw one. Ol Ralphie wants us to not only eat it but like it.

Last edited:

Calcoyote

FNG
I am very inconsistent on this issue.

As a non-resident of Wyoming it makes me furious that I cannot hunt on wilderness land without a guide. Over the last 3 decades I have spent many nights on wilderness land and have the experience and knowledge to safely do so.

On the other hand, if I were a Wyoming resident I would LOVE this law. lol

I guess that makes me selfish and self centered. lol

Fatcamp

WKR
I will hunt Wyoming as often as possible and don't like the law, but the safety argument is just silly.

amassi

WKR
As a non resident who hunts Wyoming pretty regularly I think this law is great. Wyoming should do what's best for wyoming, theres tons of other back country wilderness mule deer hunts that non residents can draw in other states

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
I am very inconsistent on this issue.

As a non-resident of Wyoming it makes me furious that I cannot hunt on wilderness land without a guide. Over the last 3 decades I have spent many nights on wilderness land and have the experience and knowledge to safely do so.

On the other hand, if I were a Wyoming resident I would LOVE this law. lol

I guess that makes me selfish and self centered. lol
You don't need a guide
Merely a resident

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

blackdawg

WKR
I needed a good laugh this morning!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

No doubt! Ralphie must be thinking all of us non residents are gonna shoot our eyes out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ralphie

WKR
Easy guys, just trying to lighten the mood. Sorry for the bad attempt at humor. Sarcasm doesn’t work real well typed.

I agree the law is outfitter welfare.

That said though as a resident that hunts wilderness areas I guess it does benefit me as someone else just said.

I usually don't buy into bitch fests, but have you haters on Wyoming looked into the fact that there is more wilderness here than any state (outside ak), also for you guys pissing and moaning have you ever looked into the size of these areas? A typical diy non resident will have their head spun when they realize the size if these areas. Wyoming game and fish has a designated percentage of non resident tags per quota per area. So boycott, all you will do is help the next guy that want to hunt here. It boils down to a safety issue to keep inexperienced non resident hunter's from getting into situations that could be avoided. (Don't want to debate how to quantify who has the experience to hunt the ares). Also it has been an established part of our states economy, so I don't see it going away. Finally the highest trophy regions of park and teton? Perhaps, the lage sized animals here have lower draw odd areas, but I also wonder where other counties with large private ranches killing lots of b&c bulls fall from the previously stated counties. Get over it ladies, if you don't like the outfitter dilemma there is plenty other areas to hunt without wilderness in wyoming.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I usually don't buy into bitch fests, but have you haters on Wyoming looked into the fact that there is more wilderness here than any state (outside ak), also for you guys pissing and moaning have you ever looked into the size of these areas? A typical diy non resident will have their head spun when they realize the size if these areas. Wyoming game and fish has a designated percentage of non resident tags per quota per area. So boycott, all you will do is help the next guy that want to hunt here. It boils down to a safety issue to keep inexperienced non resident hunter's from getting into situations that could be avoided. (Don't want to debate how to quantify who has the experience to hunt the ares). Also it has been an established part of our states economy, so I don't see it going away. Finally the highest trophy regions of park and teton? Perhaps, the lage sized animals here have lower draw odd areas, but I also wonder where other counties with large private ranches killing lots of b&c bulls fall from the previously stated counties. Get over it ladies, if you don't like the outfitter dilemma there is plenty other areas to hunt without wilderness in wyoming.
You better educate yourself. California has more wilderness than Wyoming.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk